1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC dvd to PAL

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by gerlep, Aug 10, 2006.

1. gerlep

gerlep Member

Hi I have an NTSC region 1 DVD which I want to convert to PAL, region free. I attempted to RIP using MTR and got the BAd Sectors message. I attempted to play back from the Apple DVD opening the media files, but nothing, not sure if this is because my region setting is 2(and i do not want to change it). Anyway can anyone offer me another way to do this, do not care how many stages it may be, even if I can get it to an AVI!

Regards

GL

2. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

heres a guide, but i think u'll need to swap the words pal and ntsc around in the guide, if u know what i mean --http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/dmc_convertbetween_PAL_NTSC.aspx

3. gerlep

gerlep Member

thanks for the info. Not quite what I require though. I have an NTSC region 1 dvd, all i want to do is watch it, but do not have the facilties to do so, and thought there might be a way to rip and convert to pal. Everything in the guide you offered is great for home movies etc, thx anyway.

4. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Nero Vision will do it if you hit the more options box and do the convert from NTSC to pal. it takes on mine about an hour and a half. Chris

5. gerlep

gerlep Member

tx chris, but i use mac, was pretty sure this was a mac forum, not sure nero crosses platforms

6. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I'm bad I wasn't paying attention last night 1 Sorry chris

7. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Not sure whether you've sorted it, but I had the same problem re importing region1 discs and wanting to watch them 'normally' on my TV.
    If this is a one-off for you, then your Mac should give you a message that it is Region1, and allow you to change the drive to Region1. Next time you put in a Region 2 Disc, it will let you change back. CAREFUL - it will allow 5 changes so you could quickly exceed and get your internal drive stuck as Region 1.
    If not : your Mac won't otherwise allow you to play a Region 1 disc, and MTR can't rip it properly. TVs over here in the UK can play NTSC discs AS LONG AS THEY'RE NOT REGION PROTECTED. So if you don't change your Mac over for one rip, then you'd have to have another external drive set as Region 1 Player from which MTR can rip. As I say, I've imported lots of discs from USA, and don't have to do any fancy conversions - I just put the disc in my external Region 1 player/recorder and that's the only difference.
    Let me know how things are going/go with this.
    Terry

8. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

@ Gerlep

I have my disk drive set to region 1 and have never changed it. When I put a region 2 disk in it won't work, of course. BUT, DVD Decrypter will still rip it to the HD, as region free by what it calls "brute force". I suspect it should work for you in the same manner to rip the R1 disk to your HD as it did for me in getting the R2 disk to my HD.

In my case the movie is still in PAL format. Putting it on a disk won't play in a NTSC TV - BUT it will play fine on the computer! For you the movie would be in NTSC format and won't play on a PAL TV. I suspect it should work for you on the computer.

Computer monitors, in my experience, seem to just handle business while the TV sets are a "pain". Converting to/from PAL/NTSC always seem to have either jerky video or not in sync audio. I even went to convert my files from PAL to NTSC using VOB Blanker. Yes, they converted. The lips matched the sound, but the video was jerky on the TV when recorded on a disk. But, the disk played fine on the computer, not jerky.

So, I susgest leaving your drive region settings alone. Rip with Decrypter. Watch on your computer. Enjoy. At least you won't waste a disk with this method and conversion only takes a few minutes of your time.

Cheers.

9. gerlep

gerlep Member

hadn't tried decrypter before, will give it a go.

10. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

DVDDecrypter is PC Windows, not MAC

11. gerlep

gerlep Member

what is rulitsky going on about then?

12. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

You're still getting a bit of the run-around here - probably more confused than when you started.
    1. NTSC v PAL with DVDs in UK is not the issue -NTSC DVDs will play on UK machines - it's PAL that won't play on american NTSC machines. They won't play in the UK without decryption (making them region free or at least Region 2 playable, because our machines are geared to refuse to play other than Region 2.
    2 I. For some reason, your Mac drive is still reading it without going through the 'changing regions' process. this I don't understand. You mean your Mac DVDplayer will play this disc????
    3 MTR is acknowledging and seemingly begins to read the disc. Look at the Region part of the MTR window -it will list the regions it's authorized for - depending on the disc (block buster movies always!), it may be region-free. What is the name of the disc?
    4. The real issue is the Bad Sector message which you can get with discs with newer encryption methods. What version of MTR are you using. You have a better chance of getting through that problem with MTR 3 than 2.6.6.

13. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Did not mean to add to any confusion. Did not realize that Decrypter was for PC and not MAC.

What I said is accurate and has worked for me. If it does not work on MAC that way, just disregard.

14. gerlep

gerlep Member

no problem, just that this is a MAc forum... :)