1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original Xbox Flashing Red And Green FRAG

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by MrMikeMan, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMikeMan

MrMikeMan Member

Hello. I'm a new member and this is my first post. In fact, I joined specifically to see if anybody here can help me with my problematic Xbox.

I bought my Xbox way back in 2001. It has worked fine all this time. I have NOT modded it with a chip and I have NEVER even opened it up. A few weeks ago, I was playing PGR2 and my hard drive began making a loud clicking noise. Then, the game froze and I received an error message telling me that my disk may be dirty or damaged. When I ejected the game to inspect it, the green light at the front of the console started flashing red and green and a message in a lot of different languages informed me that my Xbox requires service and I should contact customer support (there was no number in the corner of the screen). I turned off my console and the next day, no matter which game I tried to play, I saw the same "requires service" message. I decided to take my Xbox's advice and contact customer service, and they didn't give my any help except for suggesting that a purchase a 360.

After a few days I tried to turn it on again, and to my surprise, it worked! I love it when electronics heal themselves. I don't understand it, but as longs as it's working, I'm happy. Then, about a week later I was playing Scarface and the clicking noise returned and the game froze. Now whenever I turn it on (with or without a game), all I see is the Xbox startup video. I can hear the disc drive spin normally and I hear the hard drive click two or three times and it freezes on the Xbox logo. After a minute or two, the light starts to flash red and green and the dreaded "requires service" message appears again (still without a number in the corner).

I take very good care of my Xbox. I keep in on a pedestal to ensure proper air circulation and a dust it regularly. I'm confused as to why I am experiencing this problem as I have not messed around with my Xbox in any way.

Does anybody have any idea what has happened or how to fix it?

Thanks for listening to me, I know reading this post is like reading a novel compared to the one-liners that are normally found here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Mike

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

OK.. if this is a very old box there is an answer to what is happening. The 1.0 xbox didn't have a 07 error code for a faulty HDD and that is most likely (from the "tick tick tick") noises coming from within.

Check the softmod tutorials/chipping tuts for information on replacing a dying hdd .. it's a lot easier to replace it before it completely fails.

You can also try llamma forums (google) and when you get there look for TimXirish and say Jan sent ya ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2007
  3. MrMikeMan

MrMikeMan Member

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll have to give it a try. I forgot to mention, I'm an subscriber to Xbox Live. Playing PGR2 online accounts for about 90% of my Xbox usage. Needless to say, I would like a solution that will not render me incapable of utilizing Xbox Live.

Thanks again,
    Mike

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

No, it won't render you in a modded state, just replacing your HDD!

Use this tutorial first to see if it'll get you going again...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/548462

If still no good, i'll walk you through replacing it with a different one!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  5. MrMikeMan

MrMikeMan Member

Thanks for that tutorial. I have read it and it is very informative. I have a few more questions for you, if you don't mind.

I am currently running windows 98 SE, will I be able to perform a hotswap with this operating system?

Is there any way to salvage the saved-game information that is currently stored on my Xbox?

If this hotswap does not work and I need to install a new HDD, where can a purchase one and what is the approximate price (keeping in mind that I live in Canada and many online retailers will not ship outside the US)?

I found a store nearby that will install a new HDD and motherboard (they said they have to install a new motherboard with a new HDD) for $50. Would my money and time be better served if I allow them to repair my console?

Thanks again for all of you help, it is very much appreciated.

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The motherboard is locked to the HDD with an 'Eeprom'. The tutorial mention above allows us to "Open" the lock temporarily and make changes.

$50 is not a bad price though...

However, If you read through my tutorials you can quickly discover just how easy it is to mod your Xbox, make use of the benefits (XBMC alone is worth the upgrade) and install a larger HDD.

Think of it this way, for almost no money, you can have the best Home Media Center money can buy, a console that will play backup\burnt games and DVDs and more importantly, can store ALL your games on the HDD and you will NEVER have to use discs again to play your games!!!

Sound like fun?

Read my tutorials!

7. MrMikeMan

MrMikeMan Member

Thanks again for all you help.

I have a friend who generously gave me his old broken Xbox. He cannot remember exactly what the problem was since it broke so long ago, but he's pretty sure it was the disk drive. Can I put his HDD into my Xbox by following the tutorial above or do I need to follow a different one because now I am preforming a HDD swap not a hotswap?

It is tempting to mod my Xbox but I mostly play online and, from what I know, a modded Xbox will be banned if it tries to play on online game. Is this true?

Mike

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

True? Yes and no...

If you try to access Xbox LIVE with a modded Xbox you will be banned. However, the mod is "Dual Boot". Dual boot allows us to either boot modded or to boot like a normal Xbox. If you boot normal you can play on LIVE just like before.

You also dont have to use LIVE, look into X-Link Kai and XBConnect...

As for your mates Xbox, why dont you fix his too as opposed to butchering it?

Lets see if we can get your mates going first, then we might be able to use it to fix yours!

Boot it up and see what happens. Hopefully it should get the error screen again, but with a number in the top left. What's the number?

9. MrMikeMan

MrMikeMan Member

I tried following the tutorial you suggested earlier on in this thread, but my computer won't recognize my Xbox's HDD. I forget the exact wording, but basically my computer says it cannot find a HDD. Does this mean that my HDD is toast?

I tried to boot up my buddy's Xbox and all I got was static on my television screen. No error message of any kind was displayed. The green light is solid and I cannot eject the CD drive. The CD drive (Samsung) also emits a constant grinding noise. I'm not concerned with fixing his console unless it will somehow fix mine. He had bought a 360 to replace his broken Xbox and he no longer has an attachment to his original console.

You mentioned earlier about walking me though a HDD replacement. This would be very much appreciated. I hoping I can somehow use his HDD to replace mine. Please keep in mind that my Xbox is not modded and that I am very concerned with the ability to utilize Xbox Live.

Thanks again for all your time and help,
    Mike

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Does your HDD sound like it's working? Low humming noise?

You're in a difficult situation as you need the eeprom to get the new HDD to work!

If you're half decent with electronics, you can build an eeprom reader and we'll have you up and running in no time!

11. HSMR4D3

HSMR4D3 Member

Hey chunkhead i was wondering if you could help me with a problem i have.

i have a hardmodded xbox with an 80 gb HDD when i boot up i get the customer service screen with error code 9. i read somewhere that i have to try another HDD. well i was wondering if i could still use the 80 gb HDD if i used the HDD Maker programn ?

also i have another xbox that gives me the error code 21 because i tried to softmod it and messed it up :(. but i cannot hotswap because i am using an xbox any suggestions on both of my problems ?

thnx

R4D3

12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

There is no harm in trying the XboxHDM Hotswap tutorial to fix your problems!

What do you mean by "i cannot hotswap because i am using an xbox"

Isn't that the reason you are here!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.