1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic U99 error code (intermittent when machine is off) and TV Guide On Screen

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Coyote24, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Coyote24

Coyote24 Member

Regarding Panasonic DVD Recorders (E50H, E85H, E95H, etc) and U99 error code that occurs when Recorder is OFF and is OK once you power up the unit, but comes back in a day, a week, etc:

Reading through other threads regarding the U99 error, it seems that SOMETHING changed with TV Guide Onscreen IN AUGUST-SEPTEMBER 2005 (many locations and cable carriers) that caused this problem with Panasonic products. I suggest we all try to call Panasonic (800-211-7262) and TV Guide Onscreen (800-386-7380) to try to resolve this. My E85 had NO problems since November 2004 until late Aug-early September when U99 started appearing for me and many others, too. Other threads seem to have this error (intermittent U99, not the "non-functional lock-up" U99) narrowed down to the TV Guide Onscreen. I'm convinced this is a RECENT occurence, so please call and bug them until it's fixed! I'll re-post if I find out anything when I start my calls today.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  2. Coyote24

Coyote24 Member

3. mtlove

mtlove Member

I recieved an e-mil from TV Guide On Screen today, and this is what I've been told has worked for some other people w/ the U99 problem.

1. Turn on your player. (But not in the TV Guide menu.)
    2. Press & Hold the channel Up AND the channel Down button on the machine.
    3. Wait until the unit says "BYE" and turns off.
    4. Unplug the player, wait 30seconds.
    5. Plug the player back in, turn on & re-enter setup.

If the U99 error comes back on my player, I'll post again. But IMO, this is something so freakin' simple, that Panny or TVGOS or both should have an alert on their webpage, notifying people that they can fix the U99 problem in under 5min!

EDITED: it took less than 24 hours for U99 to come back. well that didn't take long

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  4. rekoj

rekoj Member

I have Panasonic SC-HT1500 Home Theater System with 80GB HDD and TV Guide OnScreen - bought on 10/04/2005. I have U99 error code displayed every time when I turn off the unit. When I turn the unit, channels begin to switch, then approx. after 2-3 hours when the cable box reaches channel 99, cable box returns back to channel 02 or 10, and U99 appears on the unit's displays. I have to "wake" the unit every time. It is really inconvenient, because none of my timer recordings (set up manually, because I have still “No Lisitng” in TV Guide after 4 days) work. I have this problem since the first time I turned off the unit in order to wait for initial installation of TV Guide program list.

5. Coyote24

Coyote24 Member

Like I said in the second post, I shouldn't have started this thread, all the pertinent info is in the later posts (say, staring with page 10) at:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/143317

A lot of people are having this same U99 problem connected with the TV Guide On Screen and many Panasonic machines (including the DMR-E85H), cable box or not. Many of us have been calling Gemstar (TV Guide Onscreen) at 1-800-386-7380, pressing option 2 and selecting Cheryl there (from the listings this option gives you) as she seems to know what's going on and is more helpful than the other people, as the option of NOT knowing a "direct extention" causes the line ring forever or directs you to useless voicemail that a random person MIGHT respond to. [bold] BEFORE calling, have screenshots or write down the info in the TV guide diagnostics screens 1, 2, 7, 11, and 30, and answers to her questions about U99 date/time after you get a U99.[/bold] See AKNewbie's post in the above thread, page 13, 7 Oct 16:42. You will have to use a slow shutter speed to get these screens without a black line in them. For more info, refer to the thread listed above.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  6. sfstan

sfstan Guest

my u99 errors started in august or september of this year. had no trouble prior. had
    upgraded firmware about 6 months ago. don't think it had anything to do with u99 error
    happening later. have reset machine (channel up/channel down) and unplugging, etc. do
    not really use the "divide" feature. do shorten many shows by taking out commercials. also
    called panasonic and was told (as others were) to bring the unit in for service. the tv guide
    software (if it did indeed change over the summer) sounds very much worth the
    investigation. please keep updating this problem. the unit had been a pleasure to use up
    until sometime this past summer. i am a san francisco resident if that helps with locating
    regional problems. getting really tired of missing scheduled records because of this error
    then turn machine back on, see "please wait", see "self check" and then wait for the u99
    code to happen in an hour or a day or a week. one never knows.

just spoke to cheryl at tv guide (see coyote24 post on october 8 for how to reach). very
    nice person. should be pulling her hair but is not. apparently is not a regional problem, or
    cable box or cable company. it is a problem with the tv guide download and many many
    different models of panasonic dvr's. cheryl says they are trying to fix the problem. i think
    the more people calling them might get them to move a little faster. i guess i might as well
    give her contact info as well. it is 1800 386 7380, option 2 then option 5 to reach cheryl.
    please call her!
    thanks coyote24!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  7. dme109

dme109 Member

Ok I am joining the struggle. I have been getting the U99 codes since August. I have flashed the firmware and it did nothing. Panasonic wants me to have the unit looked at by a Tech. i do not have a cable box. What advice do you have for me. Do you want me to try some things, like a test. Just tell me your sugestion and I willl post the outcome.