1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pbook G4 DVD backup problems

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by fullboat2, Feb 11, 2005.

1. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Hi all...

I am thoroughly confused. I am a DVD addict. I make backups of all of my DVD's to take with me on my trips (I fly a lot!) I have been using my 17" Powerbook G4 for almost a year to do it. Just recently, I've been experiencing some serious problems!

My process has been to rip with MTR or DVDBackup compress with DTOX and then burn with Toast. This has worked pretty well up until about 6 weeks ago when everything just came to a screeching halt.

I believe it to be an issue with an Apple Software Update (running 10.3.8) as I've read on some other boards people experiencing somewhat similar issues. Looking for workaround and/or fixes...

The problems that occur are numerous. Sometimes DTOX will say it is unable to process...something about VTOB 3 or something... I have used FastDVDcopy but that quit working about the same time and now it just sits there and compresses the file for hours and hours and hours....never actually finishes...

I know this isn't much info, just wondering if anyone out there has had similar problems and hope that someone has figured something out. I tried to do a new user account but that didn't do anything. About to revert to System 10.3.5 as I've heard that may be a fix....

Really appreciate the help!

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Are these new discs you haven't ripped before or ones you have already sucessfully done? There's some new protection out there.

Now I'm wondering if I should wait on 10.3.8.

3. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

I buy a ton of DVD's...the latest was Alien Vs Predator. When I
    tried backing it up it didn't wanna work. It is happening with
    multiple DVD's now...that is a good question though, I am
    going to try and back up an older movie that I had backed up
    before. This all started with Analyze That...when that first
    came out I was unable to copy it and then things got
    sporadically worse.

Some of the errors I have written down...I think they came
    from Toast or Popcorn...Illegal Request..Sense Code
    0X30 0X35....Cannot write media...Incompatible format....

I've tried different media and the ritek I normally use has
    worked really well in the past. Trying the new FastDVDcopy 3
    right now...will see how it does with AvsP....Currently at 80
    minutes and the Optimizing bar hasn't moved a bit....This has
    to be something in the Apple Software.....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  4. Londor

Londor Guest

Try this:

I always apply the combo update instead of using Software Update (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosxupdate1038combo.html).

Download Onyx (free) and run the maintenance scripts and repair permissions. Do this before and after re-applying the combo update.

If you are still experiencing problems reset the PRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642).

Let us know if it helps.

5. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

That sure sounds like a media related error to me.

6. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Don't think it was a media error. Londor, I've seen your posts on the board a number of times. Every time you seem to fix whatever problem you have posed to you. You're batting a thousand. I'm not sure what your fix did, but it seems to have worked. I was able to back up AvsP after following your instructions! Many thanks!

I have no idea why installing the whole 10.3.8 package would fix this error. Can you dumb it down enough and explain why it was an issue? I'm going to try backing up a few more DVD's before I get my hopes too far up, but things are looking really good right now. Thanks again!!!

Oh yeah, I did as instructed...ran onyx...rebooted...downloaded 10.3.8 full package...rebooted...ran onyx...fired up MTR, then DTOX, then Toast and it all went well....no need to do the PRAM fix... Thank you thank you and thank you!

7. Londor

Londor Guest

My guess is that there was a problem with the permissions. 10.3.8 seems to mess a lot with them or so I have read.

Running the maintenance scripts is always good for the computer if you switch it off at night. There are daily, weekly and monthly scripts that will run automatically between 3-4 AM but if the computer is switched off or sleeping at that time they will not run.

Installing the combo update always helps in case there is a corruption.

8. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Again, thank you soooo much!

9. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Londor help! The problem is back again! I did the same thing I did before to try and fix it. Reinstalled 10.3.8 and repaired permissions. Haven't done the Pram yet though. But all of a sudden I get the trouble writing VOB files issue again. Says they may be copy protected.

Once MTR gets them on the hard drive, aren't they clean? Toast wont even do a disc image without having problems. This is driving me nuts!

10. Londor

Londor Guest

11. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Thanks Londor! Will look at it right now!

12. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

There are now dvd's that can't be backed up now at least with my osx system. 10.1 thru 10.3.8. first time i seen it was with resident evil 2 and almost forgotten. now alien vs. predator took time but i got it to work. so has anyone figured out on these new dvd's weether it's a software problem or just a high compressed disk that my computer won't recognize. I can't even copy the problem files manually using file copy. I know on resident evil 2 it darn near locked up my stem for an hour. just couldn't get the smack mac to quit reading the disk. so maybe I was thinking of buying a new external dvd-r drive and see. Ithink the problem is actually that the dvd's alternate ending menus are conflicting with sytems. Some sort of dvd security. so now i'm stuck with a dvd that will be gone if I ever mortally scratch it. no backup

13. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

REPYING TO FULL BOAT. NAH YOU MAC'S FINE . TUFFIST OUTTHERE. IT'S THE DVD'S I THINK MAYBE THE MANUFACTURES ACCIDENTALLY DONE THIS AND THANK GOD THEY DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY. IF THEY DID. BACK TO SCRATCH FOR ALL OF US. JUST REMEBER WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM DISK THAT WON'T RESPOND OR EJECT. GET IT OUT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. FORCE QUIT OR REBOOT. PAYS TO STAY A LITTLE PARANOID. I LET MINE GO FOR A WHILE AND IT MESSED UP MY HARD DRIVE TEMPORARILY. DISK FIX TIME. IT'S RUNNIN' NOW

14. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

WELL ON THE DVD BACKUPS IT'S NOT THE OPERATING SYSTEMS GUYS I'VE TRIED HOURS UPON HOURS SIFTING THROUGH. THE DARN COMPUTER WON'T READ THE DISK FILES CONTENTS . KINDA LIKE LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH. IT'S NOT ALL THE FILES JUST ONE OR TWO VOB FILES YA CAN'T COPY THEM . SO IF YA CAN'T COPY YOU CAN'T DECRYPT AND BACKUP. TRIED LOTS OF BACKUP SOFTWARE. QUESTION IS THOUGH WILL A PC COPY IT? IF SO YA COULD JUST COPY PROBLEM FILE TO CD AND TRANSFER TO MAC.

15. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

There's nothing special about alien vs predator. I did that one yesterday in mtr.

Forgotten there is a way around it.

16. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

TO MEDIAGURU: ALIEN VS. PREDATOR WAS WITH EASE. JUST TOOK AWHILE TO DECRYPT. NOW IF YOU ARE A GURU. TRY RESIDENT EVIL 2 (THE APOPACLYPSE). NOW IF YOUR RUNNING A MAC AND YOU CAN DECPYPT AND BURN IT . HUM..., LET ME KNOW. I CAN'T IN ANY WAY. I TRIED AND TRIED GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES TRIAL AND ERROR AND NOTHING WORKED....HAVE A GOOD DAY MEDIAGURU

17. Londor

Londor Guest

iseeyou

Please stop shouting. Read the forum rules.

Regarding backing up Resident Evil 2 you only need MTR, DVD2OneX and Toast. Just make sure you use the latest version of each program.

18. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

Sorry guys about the caps and being to forward. Found the forum rules. Didn't mean to sound loud.. but anyways I can backup dvds that I have. But for some reason there are a few that will start and just won't read some vob files. I run dvdbackup dvd2one and toast. But this movie resident evil 2 has got me stumped. And as for that combo update you all discussed. I actually reran my combo update like mentioned and it actually improved some glitch problems I've been having. So I thankyou for that bit of advise. Again I regrettfully apologize for sounding loud I'm headed outside to kick myself. Have a good day and semper fidelus

19. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

whats MTR?

20. Londor

Londor Guest