1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIO vs UDMA

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Helpful1, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

My DVD burner has been acting up ever since i did some upgrades to my machine. I can't access anything through my E drive (DVD-+RW) while it's in UDMA mode and PIO mode performance isn't all that great.

Any suggestions? So far i've checked the jumpers, power cables and IDE cable (brand new cable too). My system is a PIV 3ghz, 1GB ram and XP Pro. The DVD burner is set to master (Jumper, not cable select although it is on the end) and my DVD-rom is set to slave (jumper and cable position)

I had this problem with the same drive in my previous computer which had XP Home. I just left it in PIO mode figuring it had some conflict in windows, but now on a clean install and with Pro, this little bug is just now too annyoing.

2. michigan

michigan Guest

Try uninsalling your drive through the Device manager and restartiing your computer it will then reinstall itself and it should be in UDMA

3. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Drive started up like this right after fresh install. Think i should still give a remove/install a shot?

I forgot to mention that both IDE cables are marked as "Hard Drive" (ASUS) instead of Hard Drive and CD-ROM.

I doubt this will make any difference but i just felt i should mention it.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Here's how to uninstall through Device Manager:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

5. michigan

michigan Guest

Try the uninstall anyways it won't hurt anything.

6. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Reboot and the mode was reset to DMA from PIO after windows xp pro detected the drive but the same I/O error came up.

"E:\ Is not Accessible The Request Could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Instead of uninstalling the drive, try and uninstall the IDE Controller (the one that your dvdrom and burner are attached to) - I think it will be your secondary one.........

Just use the same process as Nephilim described but choose your the IDE Controller of the secondary IDE.

Reboot and see if that helps any............

Did you install your motherboard drivers (disc) or did you use the windows ones?

8. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

All drivers were installed from the asus mobo cd.
    Trying the IDE removal now.

9. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

uninstalled secondary ide controller, rebooted, xp reinstalled itself (own drivers) rebooted and same I/O error.

Is there something about the Sony DRW-500a (internal 4x dvd-+rw) that requires PIO mode to work?

10. Veblin

Veblin Active member

11. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Well that's out. When i installed all the drives, the asus mobo came with 2 80pin ide cables, 1 40pin cd-rom and 1 floppy cable. I used the two 80pin cables with the 2 hdds and the 2 cd-roms.

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

From what I have read in this thread - all avenues have basically been covered in terms of correct install/setup for your writer.

You stated that this happened with the same drive in another computer with different O/S.........I would have to say there maybe something faulty with the burner...........

A reflash of the firmware may cure it, but it would be risky.....

Other than that, I am perplexed.............

13. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

the only time i have flashed the burner drive is after sony released new firmware that supported 4x DVD-R burning (bought it at 2x).

14. Nephilim

Hi,

You've a DRU-500A I take it?

I used to have one and flashed it to 4X but that was ages ago and if you haven't updated the firmware since then it may be a good idea to do so :)

15. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Yes, its the DRU-500A from ages ago. I'm still waiting for the dual-layer discs to pick up burn speed before upgrading. That and to be able to grab a spindle of dl dvd's from my local computer store.

Starting flash of firmware.

16. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Firmware flashed from 1.0g to 2.1a

Same device error.

17. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

I've googled it to death and cannot find a solution which is leading me to think it might be a bad (or failing) DVD burner. Any suggestions for a new one?

In my googling, I found my old thread where the PIO/DMA settings were screwing things up.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/91586

18. Nephilim

The Pioneer 108 burns DL at 4X ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  19. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

20. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i have sony dru 500a and have not seen that problem . im running the latest firmware also . i will be upgrading to the new sony dru 710a which does both dual layer and single layer .i wont be using dual layer discs for a while till the price comes down on them . i use clonedvd2 now which has dual layer support now , so i thought this would be a nice upgrade . i have never had any trouble with my sony drive. many others have but that hasnt been the case for me , maybe i should wait awhile like nephilim because the 710a only does dl discs at 4x also . that might be a good idea nephilim . since the media needs to come down