1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Converted MKV files in BDP-S350 Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by BillN96, Sep 20, 2008.

1. BillN96

BillN96 Member

First, thanks to all of you to all the helpful advice on the forum. Unfortunately I have run into an issue that I can not seem to find the solution for and I am asking for your help.

I have some MKV files that I want to convert to AVCHD so I can watch them on my BluRay player (Sony BDP-S350). I convert the MKV file using the tsmuxerGUI program (I make sure the video profile level is 4.1 and select "Create BluRay disc"). I then copy the BDMP and CERTIFICATE folders to a DVD+R DL using imgBurn (using UDF 2.5).

When I put the disc in my player it recognizes it and plays except the video looks like a split screen. The audio is perfect and the video is in sync, it is just this "spilt screen" issue. It is difficult to describe in words so I attached two photos. This has happened to me with two different MKV files so I am wondering if it is a setting issue.

Has anyone ever seen this issue or have successfully played converted MKV files on the Sony BDP-S350? If so, what settings did you use when you muxed it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MaddogBC

MaddogBC Guest

I have a bdp s500 and have sucessfully played some 1 gig episode files by running them through tsremux on 4.1, and it seemed to work at 5.1 as well. I burned them to a bd-re and I have the latest firmware upgrade. For some reason I haven't been able to get movies working yet, I just upgraded to ffdshow and plan another round of tests. good luck.

3. bladetd

bladetd Member

hi, i have a same player and the same problem, did you find a solution to fix this problem i need a help too

4. MaddogBC

MaddogBC Guest

Yes I did, it's the same solution for the majority of folks who come here with .mkv problems. Most downloaded mkv's are encoded with PC playback in mind and are not in a blu ray compliant resolution. They need to be re-encoded with a proper resolution. check out the sticky at the top of this forum. I have managed to use ripbot264 with some success, takes a long time if you don't have a quad core. I wish more people would stay with native blu ray resolution. Good luck!

5. bladetd

bladetd Member

hi, I tesed yesterday the program but after the conversion i have a small file, thewn can you send me a screenshot with the parameter that you use to convert the file i apraciate a lot

Thx to all

6. MaddogBC

MaddogBC Guest

try out this simple guide.

Experimentation is always best, start out with the standard 4.x blu ray standalone profile. Hope you have a fast comp! :)

7. dublin579

dublin579 Member

Hi guys,

I'm having the EXACT same problem as the OP. I've tried the suggestions above re: ripbot etc but still have the exact same issue as per the screenshots in the original post. The weird thing is if I go to skip a chapter you can see the full image perfectly for a second, same if you pause in frame search! Anyone have any ideas?

8. DirkDigg

DirkDigg Member

I am also having the exact same problem with the Sony BDP-S350.
    I've tried many different strategies from almost every MKV to BD guide on the internet and i get the same wierd split screen result everytime.
    If anyone can figure out a solution to this please let me know, otherwise im gonna return the BDP-S350 and pick up a Samsung BD-P1500.

9. BQSTUDIOS

BQSTUDIOS Member

Same here.unfortunately theres no solution as of yet. but i do know why this happens. its because of the aspect ratio. In order for the movie to play correctly on a sony DP-S350 the aspect ratio has to be 1280x720. problem is many movies arent. many are 1280x544. in which case will result in having a split screen like the pic above. Hope someone finds a solution soon.

ps. If u own a ps 3 there is a way around this problem. In TS muxer, instead of chooseing the "create blu-ray" button, choose "m2ts muxing".
    This will fix similar aspect ratio problems in the ps3. Unfortunatley this option wont work with the sony bd-s350. sucks! thats why i keep tellin people the ps3 is hands down the best blu-ray player out there. it can play avchd's, m2ts, vob, avi, mpg, mpeg-4, wmv, plus stream media wirelessly or thru a flash drive or portable hard drive and of course on cd's and dvd'd. a stand alone blu-ray player just cant compare.

10. dublin579

dublin579 Member

Thanks BQStudio, sad to hear. Is there a way of changing the aspect ratio of an mkv file before muxing?

cheers

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Sure there is a solution. Add the extra lines of resolution (black widescreen bars) by recoding the video, with eith MeGUI/AviSynth or Ripbot264.

Here's a good link for what you need to do, there is a download that includes all of the apps and instructions needed.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

12. BQSTUDIOS

BQSTUDIOS Member

thanks, for the info but , ive heard that takes a really long time. And after spending hours downloading a large mkv file, the last thing i want to do is spend even more hours recoding a video. thats why i love my ps3. No need for recoding. it takes just minutes in ts muxer to make a an avchd folder, or a m2ts file and they come out great.

But can u post a specific tutorial showing exactly how to do what u suggested. and any info on how long you think it will take. tahnks again

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

There's pretty detailed instructions in the download I mentioned, also a lot of instruction, tips, and other good information in the thread I linked.

A 720p recode could take up to 6 hours on a quad core, maybe 8 hours on a dual core. A 1080p might take 10-12 hours on a quad core.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  14. BQSTUDIOS

BQSTUDIOS Member

well thanks for trying to help, but like you said, there's "a lot of instructions", but no specific tutorial on just changing the aspect ratio.

15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Dude, I'm not mommy or daddy... I'm not going to do everything for you. Do some reaserch and figure some things out for your self, a little trial and error, it's how the majority of us learned. I even pointed you in the right direction telling you everything you need and a good tutorial that comes with it. Do you need me to hold your hand as well. Even the thread has detailed instruction on how to resize.

Page 17 of the .pdf file in the download deals with resizing.

16. BQSTUDIOS

BQSTUDIOS Member

jeeeeeeze. i Hope one day u get lost somehwere on the read, and ask someone where the highway is. and instead of them telling you exactly how to get there,(cause you really are lost) they just vaguley point you in the direction and tell, "good luck". now leave me alone. lol.

well anyone for anyone who's interested here's the supposed info we need to get this problem fixed. ummmm good luck. lol

First, use the tsMuxeR cut feature to create a small sample‐ 30 seconds will do‐ that you can use to test your ettings on without having to encode an entire feature to see the results. Use a calculator and this simple ormula to determine your borders:
    sf
    Target Width ÷ Source Width x Source Height - Target Height ÷ 2 = Border Size (Top and Bottom) ound this number up to the nearest even whole number. For example, if your source video is 1600x752, our target will be 1920x1080 and thd lok like this:
    Ry
    e calculation woulo
    1920 ÷ 1600 x 752 - 1080 ÷ 2 = -88.8 is rounded off to -90. This means your source video is short by 90 lines on the top and 90 lines on the bottom. It's actually short by 89 lines each, but even numbers tend to work out better when encoding, and non‐integer numbers, like 88.8, won't even be accepted. If you come up with a positive number, instead of a negative, then that is how any lines you are over. In that case, you will need to crop your video instead, or add borders to the left nd right. If you decide to add borders, the formula would be the opposite of the previous formula:
    ma
    Target Height ÷ Source Height x Source Width - Target Width ÷ 2 = Border Size (Left and Right) ound this number up to the nearest even whole number. For example, if your source video is 1600x912, our target will be 1920x1080. The lok like this:
    Ry
    first formula willoded off to 8.
    1920 ÷ 1600 x 912 - 1080 ÷ 2 = 7.2 is rounnd the second formula will look like
    A
    this:
    1080 ÷ 912 x 1600 - 1920 ÷ 2 = -12.6 is rounded off to -14. The first result means that you have 8 lines too many on the top and bottom, therefore you will have to rop your video. If you don't want to sacrifice 16 lines of video, you can use the second result to
    c
    demonstrate that you can just add 14 rows to the left and right. The decision is completely yours. nce you have determined what, if any, borders need to be added, write the numbers down for later. You ill have to add a line of code to the AviSynth script in MeGUI. The format is like this:
    Ow
    AddBorders(Left,Top,Right,Bottom) o, in the first example, you needed 90 lines each for the top and bottom of the video (letterbox). The code ould look like this:
    Sw
    AddBorders(0,90,0,90) or the second example, you needed 14 lines each for the left and right sides of the video. That code would ook like this:
    Fl
    AddBorders(14,0,14,0) r, from the second example, you could crop 8 lines each off of the top and bottom of the video. The code or that would look like this:
    Of
    Crop(0,8,-0,-8)
    Notice that the right and bottom numbers are expressed as negatives when cropping video. Remember hat this is the proper syntax for the crop function. MeGUI offers a simple interface for cropping that allows
    t
    you to simply enter the number of lines to be cropped into a box for each border you intend to crop. Now that you've determined what to do about borders, you will probably also need to resize your video to bring it into Blu‐ray compliance. The resize command is expressed with a code that indicates first the type of resize filter you wish to use, followed by the specification of width and height. For the highest quality inshed product, I recommend the most excellent profile created by Ryu77 for just this purpose. It calls for he Lanczos Filter to resize video. The code for 1080p video would look something like this:
    ft
    LanczosResize(1920,1080) # Lanczos (Sharp) By now, you should have at least two things written down. The first is the target file size for the video tream. In our example, it was 6.8 GB. The second thing is the amount of lines, if any, to be added or ropped from the borders. We will need these numbers in the next segment.

s
    c
    RE-ENCODE VIDEO STREAM Refer once again to the text file from MediaInfoRaw. If the source video is from HD‐DVD or HDTV, with a frame rate of 29.97, an inverse telecine, or inverse 3:2 pulldown, must be performed to restore the original rame rate. In fact, if the source video has any frame rate other than 23.976 FPS, you should go ahead and ix that now
    ff
    b
    y taking these steps: • eR GUI and ile as the input.
    Run tsMu
    xload the video f• Change fps
    Check th
    e
    b00/1001
    ox and select 240.

Check th
    e
    Change level box and se4.1lect
    • the
    L
    eaveming infoAdd picture ti
    and Continually insert SPS/PPS boxes checked.
    • emove Pulldo
    If th
    e Rwn optionu is enabled, it mst be checked.
    • Select M2TS muxing and click [Start muxing]. he output file will be ready for encoding. If MediaInfoRaw indicated that the video stream is interlaced,
    T
    not progressive, you should make a note of that, as well. It will be corrected during encoding. Run MeGUI and take a look at the main window. MeGUI is an interface for countless command‐line rograms. While not as easy to use as a commercial application, it is vastly more powerful because it ponents you watailor
    p
    allows you to use the specific comnt to the results exactly to your needs. Notice that there are two panes, Video encoding and Audio. Because MeGUI can command just about any type of encoder, it is capable of processing audio files, but we will only be using it for video at this time. lso notice that the
    A
    Video encoding pane offers no way to indicate where your source file is. This is because it operates through AviSynth, which requires a set of instructions, called a script, to operate. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to write a script, as there is a handy tool that will do most of the work for you. With this guide, you can easily tweak the script to suit your purposes.

and i think theres more....... i give up

17. 2012

2012 Member

I'm pleased to report SUCCESS!!! This double image has been killing me and I was on the verge of selling the BDP-350...but this thread really saved me!

Following BQStudios heads up about the resolution and Odin24's suggestion of Ripbot264, I now have playable movies. Per the instructions, I installed Ripbot...that program is *really* user friendly. After adding the MKV file, I clicked the Video Properties, which brought up options for Picture Size. I used the pre-set option for 1280x720 (my original movie was 1280x533). It took 5 hours total for the encoding to complete.

The resulting MKV file was perfect! After a quick spin on TSMuxer and ImgBurn, I'm a happy camper. Further tries were just as successful. Ripbot basically gave me the black lines on top/bottom to make the proper resolution. Video was not stretched or distorted.

I read somewhere on AfterDawn that these are early days for HD and we are the pioneers. That is so true! It took time to get this right, but now it's awesome! Good luck to everyone and I hope your copies turn out flawless. THANKS!!

18. dublin579

dublin579 Member

Oh fantastic! That's great news :) Will give it a try now

19. BQSTUDIOS

BQSTUDIOS Member

great news. i will give that a try myself. glad i was able to help somewhat, and now you helped me out , so thats really cool. 1

20. 2012

2012 Member

If this is on another thread...let me know! Now that I've licked the double-image problem, I'm hoping to find the best quality video settings on Ripbot. I've been using the default settings and video quality seems close to the original, but not 100% exact and I'm losing alittle on the file size.

I know that's an easy fix on the quality settings...was hoping someone had cracked it! If I find in the next few days I'll post. THANKS!!