1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plz help HALO problems

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by |Mike|, Oct 28, 2003.

1. |Mike|

|Mike| Member

I used the bin/cue image thing to burn a cd of Halo (to use until i get my real ones back). All goes well -- A few burning programs dont work, but CDRWin does the trick for me. The CD seems perfect -- labeled as halo, uses the icon, has all the files, etc. I click on setup.exe, click install and put in my cd key and where to install. I sit back for a while and watch it install. SUDDENLY at 77% i get an error that says something like:

"Unable to install D:\FilesCab\Cab5.CAB. This is most likely because of low hard drive space or a corrupted file. Please restart your machine and run Setup again."

So i do like it says -- i restart my computer and try it again. Same error. Same % of install completed when i get the error. So i try deleting some stuff -- i free up about 2 gigs (so i have about 5 gigs of free space on my pc right now). Then I try again. I get the same fricken error. I restart my computer and try again. Same error. I get rid of yet another gigabite of space. I restart my computer. Try again. Same error.

Can anybody please help?

It'll be nearly a month before i get my original halo cds back (which i hadn't gotten a chance to install... :( ... dangit)

2. Powa

Powa Regular member

Mount the cue/image file in an alcohol-120% virtual cd drive, and install off there. Enable emulation of the protection if necessary.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Halo is SafeDisc 2.70 protected (if i remember correctly). The ability to perform a perfect burns depends on the model of your burner. If you have a two sheep burner your life is much easier.

For a list of 2-Sheep burners as well as an explaination as to what exactly "sheep" are, see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/45121

For steps for burning SafeDisc2 see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699

For steps on how to backup SafeDisc 2.8+ with 1-Sheep burner see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/36444

4. |Mike|

|Mike| Member

the exact error that I get is:

"Setup failed to extract files from D:\FilesCab\Cab5.CAB. This is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or a corrupted cabinet file. Please restart your machine and run setup again."

My disk does not require emulation (it does not say "NEEDS EMULATION" in the label like it says it will if it needs emulation), though I did try using emulation and still got the same error. I am almost completely sure it is not a problem with my disk, unless some how the 500 ppl on kazaa who I downloaded from had the same .bin file with the corrupted file Cab5.CAB (which seems rather unlikely, as nearly half of them had rated the file and had given it an "excellent" integrity rating, none rated it below excellent).

I currently have about 5 gigs of space left on my HD and the setup program says it requires about 1.5 gigs. I have 1024 mb's of RAM, and about 240 of those mb's are used with all of my usual programs on at the same time.

OK i just reread what you wrote Powa, but I dont understand what exactly a virtual drive is and how I use it? I have searched through the Alcohol 120% help menu but cant find it. I searched through the first 50 posts I found with the "Search" function on these forums but geez there are oh so many posts with the words "virtual drive" in them. None of the ones I looked at told me how to mount anything onto a virtual drive.

Could anybody please tell me how?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE:

OK I found out how to use a virtual drive somehow.... I think I figured out the problem a bit more specific now.

The new error I'm getting at 77% is:

"Halo encountered a disk error while writing to the file C:\Games\Halo\maps\sounds.map. Make sure your hard disk is not full, and that the file is not in use."

At this point in the download I have about 3.04 GB's left on my C drive (I have tried this with various different amounts of hard disk space left and all of them displayed the error at this file, so I know it's not any set number of space that my computer keeps -- equal to or more than -- free) and I'm utterly clueless of why it would say that my hard disk is full or the file is in use. The only sound file running is the background music for the setup... and it would be really screwed up if that was the problem.

[bold]Any solutions anybody?[/bold]

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  5. Praetor

This is not a gurantee that you have correctly burned it. What burner did you burn it on? DId you follow the guide i posted?

A sign of an imperfect burn?

6. |Mike|

|Mike| Member

Well the burn matters no more, as I am using a virtual drive currently. I didn't make the image personally, but it is the same image that several other people are using and having a fine time with it. But yes, I do think that when I was burning it the CD that I was using must've been screwed up because the background sound in the setup menu was really fuzzy, but is fine now that I'm using the virtual drive.

7. |Mike|

|Mike| Member

By saying:
    I meant that I was not using an image that I made from either of the two CD's I burned personally (just incase of any confusion)

8. Praetor

Ahem! Piracy discussion? ;-)

9. |Mike|

|Mike| Member

heh heh well its not really bad or anything cause i DO technically own the game but it's not in my hands right now :-(. The thing is, both me and a friend of mine bought a copy each together, but when he dropped me off at my house I forgot to grab my stuff -- so he's got all of it right now. Then the jerk ran off to his uncle's house in hawaii (family issues he says).

edit:

ok... so its sorta piracy (not really in my opinion but i dont know the laws on piracy exactly)... but honestly, if you bought a game and planned to play it the night that you bought it, but something goes wrong and you have to wait a month or longer to get it back, dont you think you would just maybe try to find a way to use the software that you should be able to use at the moment?

btw, i am using a completely legal CD-key -- the guy opened it for me over there and did me a favor by sendin it to me via email

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  10. |Mike|

|Mike| Member

I think this issue has been resolved -- the file i was using seems to have contained a bug thanks to that screwed up group "FLT" }:-|

I am using a different P2P network now.

11. Praetor

Nothing wrong with FLT's releases specifically but rather with KazaaLite :p I hope you have learned a valuable lesson with regards to KazzaLite :)

12. greddy

greddy Member

when im installing halo i get this message that says
    "Halo setup encountered a disk error writing to the file (__________)
    Games\Halo\maps\sounds.map. Make sure your hard disc is not full, and that the file is not in use"

i have 90GB left on my comp!
    can somebody post the file on the forum
    Thx

13. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

lesson to be learned here : Dont use Kazaa or KazaaLite period nada at all.. lol

14. Praetor

'fraid not! (No piracy here)

15. howdy299

howdy299 Member

[[[[ !!!! EASY SOLUTION !!!! ]]]]

Burn the HALO ISO to DISK OR unpack using ISObuster or software like that

install the game, when the error comes, press ctrl-alt-delete and just CLOSE the installation program from the program manager (so it doesn't UNDO the entire installation)

now you have EVERYthing, EXEPT the necessary file from CAB5.CAB (and CAB6.CAB) , just open this file on the CD rom in X:\Cabs\Cab5.cab (or something like that) and unrar using winrar, it will give you an error because it's corrupted! BUT still you are able to unrar the Sound.map and put it in your install directory from HALO (X:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\MAPS)

do the same thing with CAB 6, just open the file in WINRAR and unrar the files to the shown directories in the .cab file to X:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\

there are quite a lot files to extract! but when you extracted them all, you can play the game perfectly!

but im not sure how far the game goes considering the SOUND.MAP was slightly corrupted...

Enjoy the game
    and if you don't have a legal copy at home you're gay
    (I encountered somewhat the same troubles---> borowwing game to someone and it got scratched by that nimbwit)

16. halo4free

halo4free Guest

I really should have read the rules before I posted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2004
  17. halo4free

halo4free Guest

well.. i didnt think, but i know sumthing :) If you want a "LEGAL" help guide for your backup problem of Halo, go here: http://halo.00freehost.com
    greetings
    h4f

18. PhuckedUp

PhuckedUp Member

Hey, having a wierd problem with Halo. The game will play fine for 20 or 30 mins & then I'll get this lagging motion every 5 or so seconds. It doesn't seem to matter if there's a lot of action going on at the time or not. I hope it's not my PC.

AMD 64 FX-51
    1024MB PC 3200
    Geforce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB

Anybody else noticed this problem?
    Thanks in advance :)