1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popcorn tells me CSS encrypted...

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Tekk415, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

I ripped as per usual using MTR 2.6.6. The disc is Penn & Teller B.S. Disc 1. It rips normally, I drag into popcorn for a compress/burn and it tells me it is CSS encrypted. This doesn't happen with either Disc 2 or Disc 3 in the same Season of P&T. WTF am I doing wrong?

Popcorn 1.0.3 btw.

Tekk

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

first off... get rid of popcorn.. get dvd2onex... much better for compression.. you will still need something to burn it.. as far as the css goes.. do you still have the dvd in the drive when you are trying to do this? i may be picking that up... so do not have any dvds in your drives...

if you're using dvd2onex... then you will need something like toast to burn. either that or you can get dvd imager to make into an image... turns it into and (.iso). then you can use disk utility to burn it.

if you're using toast to burn it then you need to go under "data" tab --> advanced -->dvd rom (udf).

you should also get the updates on the roxio website for your popcorn.
    i only use popcorn as a last resort.

i'm sure you know about this guide..
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125996

you can do that... or just rip it under arccos mode...

anybody else wanna jump in?

3. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

First off, thank you for your help, but I'm not going to get rid of popcorn, I'm not going to pay $80 for compression software, nor will I purchase toast.

Now that that's over, there is no DVD in the drive(only have 1 drive). I've successfully used MTR + popcorn for the past several months with 100% every time.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the rip, not the burn since I cannot even play the video TS folder in DVD player.

If it matters I just recently switched from a iBook G4 running panther to a PowerBook G4 running Tiger. I burned discs 2 & 3 successfully using Tiger, however Disc 1 gives me the message that it is CSS encrypted.

This is VERY frustrating -- please help!

Tekk

4. rwp2084

rwp2084 Member

Most definitely in the rip. I had a problem with one DVD that wouldn't rip properly in Tiger, but had no problem with Panther. Do you still have the iBook?

5. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

Well, yes I do and I probably could still do it, but if all possible I would like to find out why it didn't work with Tiger. Did you ever find out anything with your DVD? Would another DVD ripper program have any luck?

6. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

ok.. i'm sorry.. but you did ask for my opinion.. that's what i think...

no need to get nasty...

i'm sorry.. but no need for that...

not here to get yelled at over anything...

by the way... MTR is the best one...

i did try... but i realize you dont need my help...

7. vantrells

vantrells Member

i went over to www.ripdifferent.com and did a search for your "CSS encrypted" problem and it seems as though it has happened to a number of folks. a lot of people had suggestions to try and repair the permissions using disk utility. as far as another ripper goes you could try the old program dvdbackup (which is free). i would say try and do some more digging around at ripdifferent or on roxio's message boards. there's got to be more on this somewhere.

here are a couple of related links...

http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1306
    http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=934&highlight=popcorn

i understand your frustration with the situation. you've tried the basics...taking the disk out, etc... just keep digging! and it's kind of hard to ask roxio for support because they walk a fine line with the movie companies and cant really give out help with copyright work arounds. i do realize that you are just trying to make what you have work, which "should" work for goodness sake since it came from a company like roxio. ps. just like dori said in finding nemo..."just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." md

8. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

Lox I wasn't being nasty...I just don't want to buy any new programs to get this to work --- especially when I know it can be solved using the methods I've always used. And I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked for your help. I'm sorry that the me spending $160 on more programs is not an acceptable solution, I'm not made of cash. I wasn't trying to be agressive, I was just trying to point out that your solution won't work for me. That's it.

Vantrells...thank you for the help -- I used Onyx to verify/repair permissions, optimize, and run the scripts -- still no luck with a useable rip. I think I might have to give up on this one...I tried everything...

9. vantrells

vantrells Member

10. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

Yes, as well as fastDVD copy 4.0 ....i saw it on ripdifferent.com. Well anyway, neither one worked.. I'm pretty sure I'm just not allowed to copy this dvd lol...

Maybe I can find a torrent or something? I should be allowed to backup my friggin dvds...

Tekk

11. macman123

macman123 Regular member

tiger sucks when trying to burn and compress with popcorn, so use panther on the ibook. now i know you don't want to pay money for this stuff so i would just dl dvd2onex and toast, since i noticed you use torrents ;) hope it works and don't get pissed at thelox, he is one of the most helpful persons in this forum. happy posting.

12. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

Ok...dl it is...what versions am I looking for?

13. vantrells

vantrells Member

if you go to www.dvd2one.com you can find the link for the download there. one thing that you can do is keep using popcorn for it's burn feature. try that before you go out and buy toast. i used to do that all the time before i spent the money and ordered toast. what happens is when you drag and drop the 2 folders that dvd2one makes into the popcorn window it doesn't do a thing to it as far as compression goes and will let you just burn the disk since the new file is under 3.4gb(or what ever fits on a dvd these days.) it just says that no compression is needed and is happy. so if you don't really want to buy toast, don't this method should work just fine.

14. macman123

macman123 Regular member

dvd2onex version 1.4.1

15. AlbcAlbrr

AlbcAlbrr Member

The latest version of DVD2OneX is 1.4.2. This version is able to handle the ARccOS disk output.

While I don't have Popcorn from what I've heard, the CSS encrypted message is what Popcorn reports whenever it encounters something it cannot read or process.

The major virtue to DVD2OneX is that there is more flexibility built into the program. Additionally, it can be used to make a disk image which can be burned to DVD using Apple Disk Utility - so you don't have to buy Toast at least.

Every once and a while there are certain DVD's that defy logic and cannot be processed in the normal way. These DVD's have what I call a press error - an accidental glitch made during the production run. The glitch only effects the computer drives which are more sensitive than set top models. The 3rd disk of Six Feet Under was notorious for this. The final solution for that one was ripping out each episode individually and using DVD2Onex's join function to put it all back together.

Please keep in mind that usually the problem lies with the drive and/or the disk, and not the software. There isn't always an easy fix, so keep playing with it - and good luck.

16. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I ripped each individual episode off the disk and joined them and I finally got playback. Thanks again...

Tekk