1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem after Compression - varied Pixelation

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by contract, Jan 29, 2005.

1. contract

contract Guest

I have a problem I would love help with. I ripped a purchased pre recorded disc DVD, released last year.

It is about (~8gig). I used both DVD2oneX and Popcorn.

I compressed with both programs down to 4.1gig.
    No matter what I do, the results are:
    The playback appears to almost do a A/B between a:
    clear/not so clear (pixelated) picture, changing every 3-4 seconds.

It only happens after trying to compress this one program. Others work fine so far. I have tried different media, record speeds, etc. on this DVD with the issue but no change.

Ideas?

TIA

2. macburner

macburner Guest

Did you compress the whole disk with menus, special features etc.? If so, thats the problem. the special features and menus take up space and leave less space for video. Try using the movie only button on dvd2one. It will give you much higher quality video.

3. contract

contract Guest

Thank u for the response

I did try that, and the problem continues

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't use a MAC but that problem is usually caused by cheap/poor quality blank media. Over compression could be part of the probelm but changing to a good-well known blank media will usually fix the problem. I know you said you tried different media but were they high quality media. Memorex is an example of a well known name but at present time has poor quality blanks with a 50% failure rate. Good luck.

Jerry

5. contract

contract Guest

Yes I tried several "high-rated" media's, and even a 1x rate :(

6. macburner

macburner Guest

Was the movie only 8 GB or was it less? Because if it is 8 gigs than I would recomend spliting it. If you compress an 8 GB movie it will have significant quality loss.

7. contract

contract Guest

Any suggestions using a mac how to do that

the menu is my concern

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member