1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems using DVDXCOPY within Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by srupert2, Jul 29, 2003.

1. srupert2

srupert2 Member

I have been trying to use DVDXCOPY within Virtual PC - based on user guides notes posted both here and on Afterdawn.com.

I have been using version 1.5.0 of DVDXCOPY; version 6.1 or 6.0.1 of Virtual PC; the operating system is Windows XP Pro.

I have several problems. All tried using numerous source DVD's.

When I try using DVDXCOPY using either my specified shared folder, or simply my desktop as a network drive for the target directory - DVDXCOPY always quits (and brings down Windows XP) after a certain percentage (usually 5% or 10%).

When I try using DVDXCOPY using the default drive for the target directory - DVDXCOPY runs until the progress bars say 99% or 100%; and
    then quits with a dialog box saying it has encountered an error. This seems as if it has created the VIDEO_TS directory and contents normally though (which I then click and drive to another location within Virtual PC). However when trying to copy from within Virtual PC out to either my specified shared folder, or simply my desktop as a network drive - the copy quits (and brings down Windows XP) - for example only 1.49 GB of a 4.25 GB file is copied. Is there a known bug within Virtual PC that limits the size of files copied?

I have tried updating the ASPI (drivers or layer) with a version from Adaptec's site - version (4.7.12) (per suggestion). Should I use the ASPI off of DVDXCOPY's site (4.7.0)?

Any suggestions from others who have gotten DVDXCOPY to work within Virtual PC? Which versions of DVDXCOPY, Virtual PC; and which Windows OS and version did you use?

Also; any other PC-based DVD "splitting" applications to try within Virtual PC (or for that matter Mac OS X based)?

I have had great success with most DVD's by using DVDBackup 1.3, DVD2OneX 1.1, and then Toast. However DVD's over aproximately 7.0 GBs in size (especially newer films - post 1970s) just show too many compresssion artifacts - I copy all my films with extras because I want those.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. jc399

jc399 Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2003