1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposed limitation on "Newbie" posts...

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by drchips, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Frankly I have found some errors in the guides posted here and as far as I know no one has addressed them.
    I had to do my own workaround to get results.

So much for searching for answers.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

WilliamIV,

If you've found any discrepancies with any guides, why don't you post them? Along with your "workarounds". This is the right forum "Feedback & Suggestions", and who knows it may just help the next newbie :)

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Why search through guides when you know enough about the contents to know that they are wrong?

4. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

[bold] Discussion on the TEMPGENc common problems forum.PROBLEM burning vcd to dvd, demuxing audio files with TEMPGENc

[/bold]

This is one of the mini-guides
    Since I dont have an avi file to work from this information is not helpful to me.

[bold]My workaround. I just used TMPEnc to create and output folder with VIDEO_TS file inside and directly from the dat file burn the dat file as it was to a disc. I wasted a lot of time splitting the video and the sound files and converting the sound file to 48000. At 48000 there is no sound at all.
    TMPGENc common problems
    22 June 2004 15:18

I am using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5. I am using toolame.exe and ssrc as external tools in the enviromental settings. When I go to recode the audio file (mp2)I browse for the audio source when I get the mpg.mp2 file to show up in the output window I click "load" and I click DVD (NTSC).mcf. I open that file and select ES (Audio) only The audio file is greyed out and locked to 48000. When I finish re-encoding the audio file. I burn it to DVD using DVD Author. When I play it back using Nero video player or My Emerson Combo DVD VCR there is no sound.

If I just bypass the file separation and load the dat files directly into DVD author from the VCD files the sound is perfect on both players. I am able to get 9 45 minute tv shows on one DVD+RW ( I am using RW for testing) so I dont notice any problems from lack of compression. I don't see what the advantage is from going through all these extra steps when I can just author a DVD by just using TMPGEnc Author from the dat files without separating and recoding them (DVD Author does the recoding.) [/bold]

5. Praetor

If there's a concern with the guide, take it up there. This is not the appropriate place and for the record, my question was more rhetorical in nature :)

6. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Actually I thought your responses was sarcastic and insulting but I was going to ignore it until you chose to provoke me a second time. I was responding to

request for information only to be told that this is not the appropriate place. I don't think your postition should be that of suppressing information do you?

Besides I thought that as a "Senior Member" he had managerial status here since you are so obsessed with hieracy.

Since in the thread I orginally posted in I received no workable answer I have come to the conclusion that no one here knows the answer.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  7. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

and mr Praetorian I realize that some of the guides I referred to are not posted here but are linked to from here..so I can only blame the link not this board

8. drchips

drchips Active member

Wow!

and there was me thinking that [bold]I[/bold] was arrogant...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

9. flip218

WilliamIV,

Where did I suggest you post?
    Answer:"Feedback & Suggestions"

Where did you post?
    Answer:proposed limitation on "Newbie" posts...

Dude, Start a new thread and explain(feedback) your findings.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

drchips

“Hi All,
    I have noticed there has been more and more "Newbies" starting threads in the more Advanced sections of the forum.”

Oriphus

There could be a Newbie to the forum with an advanced question to ask...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/78788

That's why there are newbie threads, so that the inexperienced can have a place to ask simple questions to complicated answers that will be in turn answered by those who can answer them, those who qualify for the "Advanced threads." But newbie’s starting their own threads just to have a single question answered is wasting the forum’s resources and should be made a little more difficult.

Some forums require that you’ve been a member for at least 5 days before posting. Just the amount of time for anyone who’s really interested enough to become a member, enough time to read the rules. Gives them time to browse through a few threads, and get the feel for AD.

Perhaps that can be applied to posting threads as well?

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

WilliamIV

quote:Since in the thread I orginally posted in I received no workable answer I have come to the conclusion that no one here knows the answer.

that may or may not be true but you have to realise that alot of people have families etc and cant spend every waking moment on this site.More often than not you will be pointed in the right direction and from there it will be for you to finish the job.This isnt a ................

12. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

No, you need to work on your punctuations. You said:[bold]This is the right forum [/bold]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  13. Praetor

Grow up. Being nitpicky isnt gonna help anyone anywhere.

(1) This is the wrong section of the forum for comments on the guides. Period.

(2) Even if you have a suggestion for a guide, this is the wrong thread for it.

(3) Regardless of whether or not Andmerr made a grammatical mistake in telling you this is the correct section of the forum or not however I'm telling you it isnt. Furthermore, if you stop for a second and look at the title of the thread, this is a "Proposal" thread; not a "Guide" thread. I dont think anyone's got a problrm with your finiding or your critique of the guide -- it's just that this is the wrong place for it :)

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@praetor sorry man i guess i did make a gramatical error i lost my train of thought and i'm stuffed (working 50+ hours a week at the moment).
    (oh by the way i never told william iv to post here)
    Cant be acurate all the time you try posting at 4am

apologies to all for not finishing my last post.

andmerr

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2004
  15. flip218

It was I who said to post in "Feedback & Suggestions". I [bold]did not[/bold] say post in this thread.

If you did find any discrepancies, do tell ... this is called "Feedback".

WilliamIV,

Why so angry? My post was not intended to anger you in any way. Note that I did say "and who knows it may just help the next newbie :)". You may not need us, but some newbie may need your help.

Anyhow, hopefully you change your mind about A/D. This really is a great place with good people :)

16. actech

actech Regular member

people people can't we all just get along! we all have been newbies at one time or another,and as a newbie remember being so anxious for a reponse to your problem so you could move on and get something working right? you watch posts getting answered on the advanced forum and nothing on the newbie and its been days (actually 10 minutes but arrrgggg i'm dyin here help me please) you then jump to the advance knowing you shouldn't and the rest is history. you are now at least a "lurker" (thats me) on the greatest forum ever.( see other pc hardware- video card driver) i agree some questions SEEM stupid but i tell every tech i train (hvac/r) the only stupid question is the one unasked. peace to all
    kurt

17. Praetor

Indeedy. Let's just all "move along" ... happy, happy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.