1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Laser 40 GB

Discussion in 'Buy stuff' started by Fa7aL, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Fa7aL

Fa7aL Member

Im looking for a PS3 KES 400A laser or the entire KEM 400AAA rack with laser...I bought a KES 400A laser but I reread where I bought It from and says no returns for lasers bought that are not compatible and in fine print says compatible with 20, 60, and 80 but theres no 40 GB in there so Im looking for one thats compatible with a 2007 model 40 GB ps3 thanks

2. Fa7aL

Fa7aL Member

I know someone has one... Still looking for the laser....

3. Astiri

Astiri Member

you're not looking for a KEM-400.... that series is where there is one lens reading all media.... The 40Gig in all of Son's infinite wisdom has instead a newer model called the KEM-410... I'm assuming you took apart your PS3 already, so if you look closely there are 2 lens, one for BD media, and the other for red lens media (DVD, CD). on the rack itself it should state what model you are using.

4. Fa7aL

Fa7aL Member

Its a one diode laser dude said on the laser kes 400a....

5. Astiri

Astiri Member

then your situation is, no disrespect, crapped up. As far I'm concerned, all 40GB models of the PS3 have the new dual laser rack installed on the blu-ray drive. Now if you do have a single laser diode, good luck to ya. Try searching ebay, since most of the KEM-400 racks are almost out of supply, and you might be stuck with a refurb. unless I'm misinformed, I think your screwed with the PS3 you have. Without the proper IC board that is recgonized by the motherboard, the drive is useless. then there's the other way, where you bought it used, and it came with a single laser diode(in which case is your problem in the first place)....but you could've also changed the hard drive capacity...I dunno....

6. Fa7aL

Fa7aL Member

Its an old ps3 made in 07 I dont think they had the dual lasers yet....And this ps3 was never opened....

7. isonewbi

isonewbi Regular member

hey if it was never open you could send it to Sony for repair, they'll just charge you the repair fee since you are out of warranty

8. coxwain

coxwain Member

everyone seems to be looking for KEM-400aaa or the laser pick up or the laser diodes which dont seem to be around anymore.

Is there anyway to change the BR controller board and put in the KEM410 drive? could this work?

9. Fa7aL

Fa7aL Member

Idk... might but the controller board and mobo are tied together so as long as there together I dont see why not?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. coxwain

coxwain Member

I wonder how you can tie them together if you can flash a nand or something?

11. kylegrant

kylegrant Guest

i have replaced a few lasers on the 40 gb and some are the single laser kes-400 not the dual laser so you just need to check. Some are dual some are not. good luck

12. MCNE

MCNE Member

A unit that old will have the single laser I'm sure. I had one that I repaired and used for a while. If you have not opened it I've noticed that the dual laser drives pull in the media differently than the single laser units (400aaa). From what I've seen this is very consistent but opening up the PS3 is the best thing to do.

13. Guezz

Guezz Member

Mine is probavly the same, a 40gb sigle lens PS3, its the one that came with the spiderman 3 movie bundle (Really crappy bundle)
    Anyway... there are 2 40gb models: CECHH01 and CECHG01both are 40GB.
    CECHH01 was released in March 2008 and uses Kem-410ACA double lens
    and the CECHG01 was released November 2007 and uses the kem-400A single lens.

Theres a handy laser compatibility chart here: http://www.gamerepairworld.com/ps3_laser_lens_kem-400aaa.html

Hope it helps

14. felicialn

felicialn Member

well the list say KES-400A will work with the CECHG01 and thats is what you will pull out of one but I ordered one and it doesnt work. I thought they sent me a bad laser and tried to exchange but they told me that was the wrong one and they didnt have what I needed.

15. felicialn

felicialn Member

anyway looked on ebay. I know yours says KES-400A probably but search KEM-400AAA and you'll find what your looking for. Just ordered mine I'll post when I put it in to verify it works and let you know. As for the list I found a few more that are slightly different, mainly the use of KES or KEM

16. iano087

iano087 Member

Read it on another thread here somewhere the KES-400A is just the lens where KEM-400AAA is the lens assembly including rack, it's supposed to be the easier option for fitting because you don't need to align the laser. Just what I read haven't done it yet myself part just ordered of ebay. Mine is a 40gb PS3 (CECHG01) and the lens is KES-400A I checked.
    felicialn interested to know how you got on.

17. felicialn

felicialn Member

well it hasnt came in yet its like a week overdue. heres what i ordered
    Link
    Notice how many product #s they use.