1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of a burned DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rnaval, Dec 26, 2004.

1. rnaval

rnaval Member

Is a backup copy of a dvd always lower in quality than the original dvd?

I'm new to this and I just made a copy of "Finding Nemo" using dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. I was really disappointed with the quality of the video.

Is there any way to burn the dvd and maintain the video quality of the original dvd on the backup?

Thanks...RN

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there RN, welcome to aD,

To keep the exact same quality, either split the original between 2 discs OR buy a DL burner and use DL media -

However, you failed to tell us what you were using and how you were using it. I did Nemo and you cannot tell the difference between mine and the original.

Tell us what you're doing now and what you didn't like about the backup and we'll tell you how to make it right -

Take you time and explain EVERYTHING you're using and how you're using it -

Pete

3. rnaval

rnaval Member

Thanks for your reply...I'm using a Dual Layer burner - the Sony DRU-710A with a TEON DVD+R 8X Blank Discs that I picked up yesterday at Staples.

Based on one of your posts, I downloaded DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter and set the config exactly as you specified in your post. I ran DVD Shrink to analyse and backup to the hard drive - that took 2.5 hours. It then launched DVD Decrypter and burned the DVD in about 10 minutes.

Please let me know what process I need to change to get the exact same quality as the original. I assume that it;s the setting that does the deep analysis, am I correct? Also, based on other posts, it seems I can't keep it all on one disc as the original, what is the reason for this? Also, is there a faster way to burn? Sorry, I'm new at this and don't have even the basic knowledge of this process.

Thanks...RN

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

RN,

You answered your own question ~ ~>

Use a DL disc with your DL sony and you'll have the exact same quality as the original which is also done on 2 layers.

You say you're burning in 10 minutes, just how fast did you want to burn ?

Just change the setting in DVD Shrink - Edit, Preferences, Target DVD Size to DVD-9 and you're all set to go -

Enjoy,

Pete

5. rnaval

rnaval Member

I meant to ask if there was a way to analyse any faster.

Would the setting for deep analysis get me even better video? If so, how much time would that add to the whole process?

...RN

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

RN,

If you used DL discs you wouldn't need to do any of that - it's a straight rip and burn.

If you want to do it on single layered discs then use this guide - it is the thrid guide down -

The third is for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter doing an Edited backup, that's just the movie.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105641

Let me know how you like my guides - :)

Cheers,

Pete

7. rnaval

rnaval Member

That's great, thanks for all the help.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Let's not think about saying "Goodbye" just yet -

We'd still like you to stop by and visit even when you don't have problems you need help with - "Pop" in when you can and cruise around the different forums. You never know when we might have something that can make your computer work a little easier. You might pickup some valuable tips to boot. Checkout the "Safety Valve", it's a place where we "Chew the fat" on just about every topic under the sun. Heck, check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games OR p2p topics.

As an extra added bonus, when you see another person with a problem and you feel you might know something that could help, join in. As the Ogre said to the Cyclops, " Three heads are better than two." (Lol) You'll then see how much fun we have helping others. As a current member of our little club you can welcome the new guys in -

We'll look forward to seeing you. "Me ?" You'll find me hangin' out over there by the water cooler, sittin' under the potted palm with my feet propped up, sipping on a "cold one", waiting for the next "Newbie" with a problem that I can help them with - maybe you'd like to join me . . . ? I'll be lQQkin for you - -

Till then,

I'll be Sea'n you -

Pete ;p)