1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about failed first rip attempt

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Paddy77, May 19, 2004.

1. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

Just ripped my first DVD with limited success. Used MTR and DVD2OneX with what I think was no problem. Burned .img file to free Apple DVD-R given with PB G4 using Disk Utility on the installed Superdrive. (Running 10.3.3 if that matters)

Burn seemed to end early due to a buffer underrun message that I stupidly did not write down. Most of the disc will play in the Superdrive, last few chapters will not play, get a NO PLAY message when try to insert it in Home DVD player.

Where di I go wrong? Is there a way to increase the size of the buffer for Disk Utility? I would think the Apple DVD-R is a superior media, perhaps not. Any media "proven" for this type of set-up? Also, I noted the icon on the desktop said DVD-RW when I inserted it to burn, but both the disk and pkg are clearly marked DVD-R. Does that mean anything?

I'm pleased enough with my early results to keep trying, but hopefully someone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong. TIA for any and all replies.

~Slainte~

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Are you using DVD Imager (freeware) on the VIDEO_TS folder to generate a DVD image file that can be burned by Disk Utility?

Buffer underrun is a problem consisting in the computer not being able to feed data fast enough for the burner to burn but I read you can get that error when poor media is used. In your case having used Apple DVD's I do not think the latter is the case. Apple DVDs are among the best there are (99.9% success rate). What speed are they? What is the speed of your Superdrive? How much RAM do you have in your system?

3. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

As I said this is all new to me, but the image file was created by DVDOneX if I'm not mistaken. I'm running 512meg of Ram, and the Apple DVD does not list a speed, only DVD-R, 4.7GB Media Certified for use with Apple DVD-R drives. It was the freebie with the Powerbook when I bought it last April.

I have no idea what the Superdrive speed is, how would I check that?

4. Londor

Londor Guest

1-Use DVDBackup, 0sex, MTR or any other ripper to get the DVD in your HD. You will have a VIDEO_TS folder
    2-If the folder is >4.3GB you need to process it with DVD2OneX to compress it. You will have a new VIDEO_TS folder that is <4.3GB.
    3-Use DVD Imager on the VIDEO_TS folder (<4.3GB) to generate a DVD image that can be burned by Disk Utility
    4-Use Disk Utility to burn the image.

DVDBackup, 0sex, MTR and DVD Imager are freeware.

Use Apple Profiler (you can get to it by clicking on the blue apple and on About this Mac then click on more info) to check your superdrive model. Do a search for that model and find out its speed. Use media accordingly.

5. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

Now I'm confused (easy to do).....DVD2OneX creates a .img file after it processes the VIDEO_TS folder. I should ignore that file and run the processed VIDEO_TS folder thru DVD Image and use that one instead?

http://www.dvd2one.com/osxutil.php is where I got the original information about using the .img file created by DVD2OneX.

Thanks for the info about the Superdrive. It's a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815 which burns DVD's at 1x, so I assume I want to purchase only media rated for 1x, nothing higher? Ritek seems to be the brand of choice by most people, but I can only find a 1x-4x in DVD-r, will this be OK.

Lastly, I found some information about a firmware upgrade for my Superdrive, which will basically double my current speeds across the board. Anyone done this? Any suggestions. My current version shows as Revision DOC4.

Thanks ~Slainte~

6. Londor

Londor Guest

I did not know you could install MKISOFS as an add-on to DVD2OneX to produce a disk image (by what I read it is the same as DVD Imager). So I think you did all the right things.

I have never experieneced a buffer underrun problem so I do not know how to fix it. Check this forum at the Apple website

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@72.fh5Ra9UjnP1.0@.ee6ba8c

Select your Powerbook and you will find a DVD forum where people can answer all the questions regarding your superdrive and the buffer underrun problem.

Good luck.

7. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

Thanks for all your help Londor. Just one more thing, about the Ritek media. Will the 1x-4x media work (at least "should" it work), or do I need to stick to 1x media ONLY.

Thanks again!

8. Londor

Londor Guest

Media listed as 1x-4x should work without problems but the burning speed wiil always be 1x.

9. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

Changing media seemed to help. I changed to a Sony DVD-R (Ritek were out) and it burned perfectly. Plays on standalone and DVD Player

Couldn't see the forest for the trees, however, and I was so concerned with the buffer underrun problem I didn't realize I was burning discs with no audio from the start. I heard audio in the menu and stopped listening when I started testing differnet chapters to see how far it got. STUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID!!!

I've started another thread since this seems to be a whole different problem.....hopefully someone can be just as helpful this time as you were Londor.

Thanks!
    ~Slainte~