1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9700 Pro Shorts Out My Computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by NovaTiger, Mar 21, 2005.

1. NovaTiger

NovaTiger Member

I took parts parts from two different computers and put them into one to make a single, better computer. For a while this worked fine, but recently, when I go to turn on my computer, it conks out after a couple of seconds. I went about unplugging individual pieces and restarting to see if the problem occured again and, as I suspected, the evidence points to my GPU. I read somewhere that it's the initial "power request" at startup that makes the PSU think it can't supply enough power and auto shuts down. That's just what I've read. I'm pretty sure the card is fine (because there's no reason--I can think of--that it wouldn't be, seeing as how it just up and decided to keep my computer asleep out of nowhere). Am I right and/or how do I fix this?

2. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

sounds like a classic case os not enough power whats ur rated power of ur psu

(i hate when ppl have a look and post there max power of there psu pfft)

it seems like to many people are always buying new gpus and haing a cry when it doesnt work o well

3. NovaTiger

NovaTiger Member

Sorry if this post offends you, Eye. I have a 440 Watt PSU. The manual says that a 300 is the minimum that should be used, so I'm confused. I'm also powering:

CD Drive
    DVD Drive
    Floppy Drive
    Hard Drive
    Motherboard (Soyo KT-333 Dragon ULtra Platinum Edition)
    I was powering a second HD before it went kaput.

I don't see why it should be doing this. I've checked the wiring and there don't appear to be any "loops" or whatever.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does it shut down with just the video card in or with other things hooked up to the psu??

EYEShurt, read this link & knock off the attitude as we are here to help each other not critize somebody's question http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/172183

5. NovaTiger

NovaTiger Member

Mmm...That woulda been a smart thing to test, huh? My bad. I'm back at college now and only have access to my laptop, not my desktop. I'll have to test that when I get home in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

I was not critising i was generally saying that ppl always say (in these types of threads) there max power and not there rated power.

7. NovaTiger

NovaTiger Member

I just read the label on the side of the PSU. Pardon my ignorance, but which is that? the max or the rated?

8. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

the rated thats what i was saying