1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reduction Level?

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by mandy1950, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mandy1950

mandy1950 Member

I have DVD-rebuilder.

I get a reduction level from 61,4 %.
    Anybody get a higher redution level?

Can anyone tell me in what for option I can use the filters? and how can I make the picture sharper?

Regards mandy

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

There are lots of factors in the reduction level. You really can't go by that. I have seen 1 1/2 hour movies that were close to that much reduction.
    It also depends on what you have decided to keep. You can remove all the languages that you'll never use.
    You can also put more reduction on the extras so more bitrate will go to the main movie. You can also blank out material. You have to decide what you want to keep.
    I have done many movies with that much of a reduction and they look fine.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I suppose reduction level applies to my problem. I am trying to backup sliders episodic discs to dvd-5. well... universal put 5 episodes on a few of their discs. And they were pretty lazy about quality. In that, I mean that the original video isnt even that good. So im having quite the time with these discs. The best results ive had were with HC encoder 4pass. And even with that there were times in the episodes where the video quality was WAY less than par. Ive tried both shrink and cce as well. I must admit, there was BARELY any differnce between CCE and Shrink. And infact, one of HC's screw ups was worse than shrinks backup. The resulting video, including menus extras is pushing 3hrs 50 min. Universal should be ashamed. Im half tempted to wait for a blu-ray release. IF, that even happens! Divx could back these up better. I suppose I can try a few more things.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm not at home so can't access my Rebuilder logfile, so i did the next best thing and looked on a Rebuilder forum post of mine from last year. It was Lord of the Rings 2 using Hank's Encoder - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/335628/3628341

I can't remember how many Gigabytes but this was probably full disc mode, haven't even used my LOTR backups since then hence the cobwebs.

- Reduction Level for DVD-5: 59.7%
    - Overall Bitrate : 3,060Kbs
    - Space for Video : 3,856,550KB
    - HIGH/LOW/TYPICAL Bitrates: 4,089/1,229/3,060 Kbs

Dialysis woould know this better than me but i think the red bits are the important bits, i think it's that figure that's important re the end result. You or Dialysis can gladly prove me wrong..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The reduction im looking at is 58% about the same. You know... its mainly the source video. Universal really screwed this series. Its like they left it in a TV aspect if you will. You know the old tube tvs? They had those horizontal/diagonal bars. They kept them, and it looks OK on the source but when a person tries to compress, it costs quality a heap. I really need a larger screen. The best way i have for testing each output is burning to +rw and playing it on the living room 50" plasma. Longer process than it needs to be. I think I'll just wait til I get a larger screen. Things look alot different on the plasma compared to my 20" acer lcd monitor. Oddly most the time better on the plasma.
    - Reduction Level for DVD-5: 56.7%
    - Overall Bitrate : 2,436/1,949Kbs
    - Space for Video : 4,056,430KB
    - HIGH/LOW/TYPICAL Bitrates: 2,303/786/1,949 Kbs

6. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

The numbers are the average bitrate.

What version are you using?
    It's been so long since I used the free version that I don't remember what options are not available.
    What matrix are you using?
    Have you tried the bitrate redistribution setting?
    Have you tried removing any languages that you don't need?
    No matter how you look at it, 3hrs 50 min is a lot to put on a DVD-5. It all depends on the quality of the original which you say is not good.
    Edit:
    I just saw your post. Those bitrates are too low. I wouldn't bother. It's better to just split to 2 discs or keep it the way it is and burn to a DL disc.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Such a shame that the dvd format isnt MORE flexible. E.G divx codec. In my experience, Divx/xvid blow the dvd format out of the water with compressability ratios. I've put 19.5 hrs on a standard dvd in divx format looking similar to vhs quality. 12hrs looked awesome, etc. Such a shame. ehh... computers are better than dvd players. Thanks for the posts guys. :D

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

oh... sorry. Basically one click mode HC. I made it 4pass though. And I bought the pro version not even 2months ago. Well worth 10times its weight in gold, LOL.