1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping Blu Ray for streaming

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by cshaip, Jul 24, 2008.

1. cshaip

cshaip Member

I'm new to Blu Ray (have a new Blu Ray drive that is to be delivered today) and want to rip Blu Ray disks to my HDD and convert for streaming to either my Xbox 360 or PS3. I've been able to do this fine for standard DVDs but was wondering which programs will allow me to do the following:

1) Rip Blu Ray to HDD (I'm assuming AnyDvd HD will do this)

2) Extract just the movie while filtering out undesired streams like subtitles and other languages (like Shrink or Decrypter does for standard DVD's)

3) Convert to a file for streaming to Xbox 360 or PS3

I'm not interested in burning to a disk or compressing to save HDD space (I have a 1TB external drive).

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. frank67ny

frank67ny Member

hey cshaip, I was wondering if you ever get the solution to do this. I am trying to do the same. Can you help? thanks

3. odin24

odin24 Regular member

AnyDVDHD will rip the BD to your PC's HDD. However there are some roadblocks from there in regards to streaming.

1. All BD media files are in the m2ts container, which are compatible with the PS3, only if the BD is encoded with the h264 codec. If it is VC1 you're outta luck, you have to keep it in the BD format to play VC1, which is not streamable.

2. The PS3 only takes external drives that are formatted to FAT32 only, which means files at or under 4GB, BD movies files are 20GB+.

You can partition your TB drive to have a 50GB FAT32 partition, use tsMuxeR and split the main movie with whichever audio/subtitle streams you like, split to 3.7GB and remux back to Blu-Ray structure, place the two folders (BDMV and Certificate) in a folder called AVCHD, then use a program called AVCHD-ME, just place this little application in the AVCHD folder with the BDMV and Certificate folders, run the AVCHD-ME.exe file and it will rename all of the files, this will trick the PS3 into thinking your USB drive is a disc... it works, I do this all of the time.

Best of all there is no recoding/converting, just remuxing which takes maybe 15 minutes for a full 20GB+ BD.

4. cshaip

cshaip Member

Thank you for the response. One question, though. When you say that the PS3 only takes external drives formatted in FAT32, do you mean drives that are connected directly to the PS3? Right now I have the TB drive (formatted in NTFS) connected to my PC and am streaming movies to the PS3 and Xbox 360. Some of these files are larger than 4GB and stream with no trouble. I'm assuming the larger blu ray files will stream the same way, provided they are in the proper format???

Also, is there no program that will convert VC1 to a format that is able to be streamed?

5. odin24

odin24 Regular member

There are several ways that convert VC1 to h264, but to do it properly for maximum quality takes alot of time... and a little know-how. If you partition 50GB on your TB drive, which is minimal in comparison to the drive size, and follow the directions above there is no converting involved. Either way is fine though. If you are interested in recoding VC1 to h264 follow this thread and ask any questions there. Any question in reagrds to what we are talking about are welcome there too.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

6. cshaip

cshaip Member

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give your method a try. Seems much easier than the other methods I've researched.

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you want to partition your HDD Partitiion Magic works really well, however it is not compatible with Windows Vista.

8. j1ngl3boy

j1ngl3boy Member

I currently stream all my BD movies to my 360. Here is my method (without even ripping the movie to the hard drive!!!):

Programs I use - AnyDVD ($100), TSmuxer (free), WME Assistant ($40)

1) With anydvd running in the background, open TSmuxer.
    2) Explore the BD disc and find the file with the movie, delect everything except the 1080p movie and the audio you want.
    3) Remux into a single TS file and copy to the hard drive.
    4) Open WME Assistant and convert the movie to a WMV-HD file.

I average a total of 6 hours from start to finish for a typical 2 hour movie.

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

1 & 2, now that's smarts! I have a PS3, I don't even need to convert to WMV, straight up m2ts or AVCHD format. Sweet!!!

BTW, if you open the corresponding MPLS file in the Playlist folder instead of the actual m2ts file itself you can retain the chapter info... and this is good if you need append several parts if the main movie comes in more than one file.

Awesome find!

10. kyguth

kyguth Member

I have serveral Blu-ray movie and have been trying to rip them to my hard drive and then play back with window media.

First I use AnyDvD to Rip the Blu-ray.
    Under the Stream folder I picked the biggest file, which contain the movie. Its a MPEG TS file which is about around 40GB.
    When I played it back in Window Media 11.6 and Window Media Classic the sound is very static.

Is there anyway to impove the sound. The Picture is great btw. Maybe I'm not doing something right. Please any advice would be great as I am still new to this.

Thank you for your time.
    Kyguth

11. divesheik

divesheik Member

12. divesheik

divesheik Member

This sounds very much like the way to go. I'm trying to do this with National Treasure 2. I get the BD ripped to the hard drive with AnyDVD. I then select the .M2TS file that has the movie and select the tracks I want. I then select either mux to a TS or M2TS file and that's when things go South. WME assistant just hangs for hours saying preparing, and never moves from there. According to the task manager the application is not responding. Any help getting WME assistant to work properly would be much appreciated.

13. j1ngl3boy

j1ngl3boy Member

This happened to me once before with WME Assistant. I corrected it by unistalling all codecs and WME Assistant, and did a fresh install. It corrected the problem.

14. divesheik

divesheik Member

Well, I have made some progress on this problem. I too did a fresh install of WMEA and that seems to have corrected by original problem. however, now I have encountered a couple of other problems I'm hoping someone can help with. Here's the story:

1. Ripped the BR movie Iron Man to the my HD with AnyDVD.
    2. Have remuxed the main movie and the H264 audio track into a single .TS file with Ts Muxer
    3. Trying to encode into WMV with WME Assistant.
    4. First problem encountered was a message saying "Insufficient memory to complete operation.". Seem to have gotten past this by increasing my virutal memory allocation.
    5. Next problem I've encountered is a message stating "DRM profile not set for this file".

I'm assuming this has to do with the fact that WMEA uses Windows Media Encoder 9. Can anyone help me get past this message?

Thanks,

15. j1ngl3boy

j1ngl3boy Member

When you reinstalled the proper codecs, make sure you set them up correctly. Go to each codec installed, and be sure each one is set to allow you to encode properly.

Example: default status of AC3 filter is stereo - which means if you tried to encode with 5.1 set, it would not allow it. You need to set AC3 filter to 3/2 for 5.1 encoding.

And obviously make sure you reinstalled windows media encoder if you uninstalled it before.

16. zzapped

zzapped Member

Im a relative noob to this so im asking for a bit of help with a small issue im having.

After ripping a BD movie to disk with AnyDVD, I open up tsmuxer and then strip out the audio and video tracks I dont want and then run tsmuxer to create a .ts file of the movie. I can open this file up and play in under windows media player and it plays correctly right to the end. The problem is that when I run WME Assistant to create a WMV file from the .ts file, it only seeme to create a wmv file containing anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of the .ts file, not alwats the same length or size and there doesnt seem to be any errors in WME Assistant.........can anybody suggest what to do ??

Cheers

Z