1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping zone 1 DVDs on a Euro Mac with MTR

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by ncm, Jul 20, 2004.

1. ncm

ncm Member

I've successfully used Mac The Ripper to rip several DVDs I own, but they were either zone 2 (Europe, where I live) or zone free. I've now tried to rip 2 zone 1 DVDs and it doesn't work. I get errors in MTR as soon as I hit the GO button. Sometimes it will say the process was stopped by User (me and certainly didn't stop the process) other times I get a series of error messages. In any case I've had no luck at all so far. These are DVDs with DISC RCE set to Clear so I shouldn't have to input the original zone of the DVD (I've left the RCE Region set to OFF as per the instructions). Anybody have some useful advice?

Thanks,

ncm
    Mac OSX10.3.4/G4 Dual 1.25GHz/Superdrive (Pioneer 1.0.4)/2Gb RAM
    Mac The Ripper
    DVD2oneX

2. ncm

ncm Member

Additional info:

among the errors I get in Mac The Ripper upon hitting the GO button are:

DVD Error!
    Failed opening IFO for title set 1, Mirror of main feature file which is title set 1 failed, Mirror of DVD Main Feature Failed

this is with an NTSC zone 1 disc. My G4's DVD Player is set to zone 2 (Europe) but this shouldn't matter to Mac The Ripper.

cheers,

ncm

3. Londor

Londor Guest

4. ncm

ncm Member

>>Have you tried to set the RCE region to 1?<<

Yes, I tried that and got a message from MTR saying the DISC RCE was CLEAR and I should use the default 0. Tried anyhow to click 'continue' but got the usual DVD error messages.

I have downloaded the firmware flash for my Superdrive to make it zone free but haven't installed yet....chicken (g). Might do that soon, but don't see why that should affect MTR which doesn't need any confirmation from DVD player first, as some other sw does.

cheers,

ncm

5. Londor

Londor Guest

In System Preferences do you have "When you insert a video DVD" set to "Ignore"?

If not do it, reboot and try MTR again.

PS. Try also to extract just the movie.

6. ncm

ncm Member

>>In System Preferences do you have "When you insert a video DVD" set to "Ignore"? <<

Yes, I assume so since when I insert a DVD nothing happens except it appears on the desktop. DVD Player doesn't launch. I must have changed that setting when I started ripping backups of my DVDs. I don't want to check right now as I am in the process of burning one now...a zone 2 DVD which works fine, and I'd rather not do other things on the G4 while that is going on. Am writing this on my PB.

Could it have something to do with the discs that don't work being NTSC (and my Mac being set up for PAL)? Or zone1? I've done successful burns both with zone free discs and with zone 2 discs, though my copy of Mac The Ripper is the US version, downloaded from their site. I use US English in Panther on my macs.

cheers,

ncm

7. Londor

Londor Guest

NTSC and PAL are TV formats and both will play on a computer.

I guess that the easiest solution would be to flash your superdrive. If you use the link I gave you earlier you can do it from OSX and it only takes 1 minute. I have not heard of a single case going wrong.

PS. I always do my burnings in the background while doing other things and never had a problem.

8. ncm

ncm Member

>>I guess that the easiest solution would be to flash your superdrive. If you use the link I gave you earlier you can do it from OSX and it only takes 1 minute. I have not heard of a single case going wrong.<<

Well, here's one. I just tried it, and it didn't work. I got an error message during the Terminal session as follows:

Switching drive to Kernel mode:
    Unlock - Reset (Sense: 05 24 00)
    Downgrade activation reported an error. Attempting to continue anyway.
    Could not set Kernel mode

Then it said it had finished the process and to reboot. I did. System Profiler still says the firmware is version A227 and DVD Info X says the drive is still region locked (into region 2) with 4 changes to go.

:(

9. Londor

Londor Guest

Did you try the X227 or the 1.40 firmware?

Remember that there should not be a disc in the drive at the
    time that you apply the firmware.

When you first set a region you are left with 4 more changes
    so nothing has happened.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
  10. ncm

ncm Member

>>Did you try the X227 or the 1.40 firmware? <<

First tried the 1.40 and when that didn't work, after rebooting and checking System Profiler I tried X227. Same results, same error message with both.

>>Remember that there should not be a disc in the drive at the
    time that you apply the firmware. <<

Yes, I know. No disc was in the drive.

And yes, nothing happened - at all. Drive was completely untouched. I've since tried a DVD in it and it plays fine, so nothing was broken, at least. What now?

cheers,

ncm

11. Londor

Londor Guest

What OSX version are you using?

I flashed my 106 without a problem (10.3.4).

You can email the guy who wrote the guide at
    alynpier@macetvideo.com for help.

PS. There is another firmware but you need to boot in OS9 to
    do it. You can find it here (Look for DVR-104 for Mac)
    http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
  12. ncm

ncm Member

>>What OSX version are you using? <<

OSX10.3.4

Thanks for the links. I'll try writing the guy who wrote the guide and see if he has any tips. I could also try the OS9 version, since my G4 does boot into OS9.

cheers,

ncm

13. Londor

Londor Guest

Good luck and let me know if you get it to work. My parents have a 104 in their iMac and I was thinking of flashing it.

14. ncm

ncm Member

Will do. But it may take a while. Am leaving for my sister's in Amsterdam tomorrow afternoon and won't be back to Paris (and my G4) till the evening of August 8th.

cheers,

ncm

15. Londor

Londor Guest

Do not worry. I live in London and will not be visiting my parents in Spain till September.

Have a nice trip.

16. ncm

ncm Member

Thanks. You too (in September, when Spain is likely to have a better climate than the UK - or Paris, for that matter).

Wish there was a way to de-zone the latest Powerbooks. I have a combo drive in my 12" and since it travels with me, it would be actually more useful to have a zone-free laptop than the G4 desktop at home. But, alas, no news on that front.

cheers,

ncm

17. Londor

Londor Guest

18. ncm

ncm Member

thanx. Have posted a query as to the firmware update there too.

cheers,

ncm

19. ncm

ncm Member

Update: I downloaded the older 1.20 firmware update fr OS9x and rebooted in OS9 and that worked! Then rebooted in OSX and launched RegionX and changed the region to zone 1. Then launched MTR and now it works for zone 1 DVDs. So the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks for all the help.

cheers,

ncm

20. Londor

Londor Guest

I am glad to hear you got it working. I will try the same procedure on my parents' iMac. ;-)