1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searched everywhere.. no answers!

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by alforra, Apr 17, 2008.

1. alforra

alforra Member

Hey everyone.. I'm in need of some help. There is not a lot of info on burning dual layer dvd-r's yet. I'm on a brand new macbook pro. I refuse to buy toast. I'm using mac the ripper to back up my personal dvd collection, I'm then using disk utility to create an image, and burn to dvd-9. I don't mind shelling out the extra cash for dvd-9's since my burner is compatible. I feel it's well worth the quality and much easier than taking the extra step to compress. Either I'm not selecting the right image format.. or I'm not burning correctly. Here's a list of problems I'm running into.. Can anyone help me? and yes.. I've searched for days before asking.

1. Mac the ripper works great. I am doing full disk extractions and I end up with a folder like this: NAME_OF_DVD > VIDEO_TS. My next step should be to create an image of the NAME_OF_DVD folder with disk utility correct? When I do this I get different formats of images to choose from: Compressed, read only, dvd/cd master, and hybrid. Do I use dvd/cd master or hybrid?.. and which folder am I making an image of: NAME_OF_DVD or VIDEO_TS?

2. I've read a lot of forums that say you need to add an AUDIO_TS folder even if it is empty. Is this true?

3. Does the image have to contain a certain type of file extension in order to play in stand alone dvd players? example: .iso .dmg .cdr??

4. Am I making this more difficult than it really is? Can I simply take the folder that mac the ripper spit out and burn it directly on a dual layer dvd-r?

Any input will help. Thanks in advance! I really planned on experimenting with this until I figured out, but I've already fried 4 dual layer dvd-r's and they are not cheap. I figured I better ask before I go bankrupt.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

An ISO file is just a container that holds all the files that you wish to put on a disc. You can name it anything you want. If doing a DVD compliant disc, you will have a VIDEO_TS folder inside the ISO. Inside the VIDEO_TS folder you will have IFO, VOB and BUP files. There is no need for an AUDIO_TS folder although some programs will create this folder anyway. Some older players may require this folder although it's empty. When you burn the ISO file you will see on the burned disc the VIDEO_TS folder.

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Although I prefer -R SL discs for DL movies you want +R.

4. alforra

alforra Member

Thanks for the input guys! I've burnt my first successful dvd and my first successful dual layer dvd today.. and guess what. I did it all for free. Looked into alternatives for Toast.. turns out there are a few. I downloaded a program called Burn 1.72. It works great! I'm using mac the ripper and burning with burn 1.72.. tested on 4 different dvd players.. an xbox 360 and 2 computers. Works all around.. I highly suggest getting burn for any of you mac users.. also I read really good reviews on a program called liquid cd. FORK TOAST!! Thanks all.

tasty language edited by loco

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

alforra, easy on the language