1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Required Error 16

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by spifyluk, Jul 2, 2009.

1. spifyluk

spifyluk Member

To begin, I am a complete newbie at this! about 2 years ago, a guy that i knew 'hacked' my xbox so that it ran EvolutionX. My xbox ran fine for a very long time and with no problems. After a while, i stopped playing it for quite some time. Yesterday i decided to play a game, but EvoX would not launch just fade back and forth between the loading screen and the Evox Launcher with the options to launch, go to settins, reboot, etc. I figured, well since this is a store baught game that i want to play then i'll just reset my xbox because i dont really use the hacked system anymore. I FTP'd into the xbox and STUPIDLY decided to erase what i thought was part of the evox or dash files. when i rebooted, Service Required Error 16 came about and my xbox will not boot. I understand it has something to do with the clock? I really have no clue how to go about reseting my xbox so that none of the files are there anymore and so that its just a regular xbox again. Anyone with the patience to explain, could you please help?!!? i would REALLY appreciate it!!!!! Thanks!

2. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

You need to hotswap
    Below are two links for hotswapping, the first one is the most updated and the second one is the older one with all the basic information.

Look into hotswapping with xplorer360 it will let your computer access your xbox's fatx file system and you can easily fix your problem.

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9 (Super Tutorial)

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21. Hotswap Can Reinstall Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition. Hotswap Also Install Or Reinstall Softmod Files. All Dashboard Problems Go Here. A Trick To Use Xboxhdm In Hotswap UPDATED 12/12/2006.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

and looking at the stickies wouldn't tell them that?

how about a cold boot of halo2 first tho before the n00b goes and wrecks everything by attempting a hotswap?

4. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

If he erased his dash files, the Halo 2 coldboot would probably be a safer friendlier method. Im a noob, only hotswapped my Xbox a few days ago, and I got it on the 3rd try. One thing I found is once the dash is removed, all cold booted games should work, you just cant goto the dash at all. Since the dash files are gone, the text in the game is completely wack, using symbols and partial letters from the game disc I think. It's almost impossible to read, so memorize the menu order on a working Xbox. Otherwise you're pretty much trying to understand an alien language when using the Halo 2 menus.

If you don't have Halo 2 (kinda sad for an original Xbox owner) then you could always hotswap. Worked for me restoring my xbox to a factory HD (with 5960 dash), and also installing unI3ashx. Agree with the above statement, you could have found that stickied like 2 posts below this one, but the whole point of forums is to be friendly and help, is it not?

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Yup.. I have seen that also re: the scrambled menus and text.. I think live settings is 4th down.. doesn't really matter.. just go through them one at a time until it says "updating".. let it finish and take the game out.. reboot and see what happens.. takes 2 minutes and nothing lost if it doesn't work.
    I must have recovered 400 or so error16 softmods like this over the years.. just to get them back to something that can be worked with.. then I usually just restored the exploit saves and did it all again... There was the odd one that needed a visit from mr xecuter 2.6 on his solderless thing to get in to ftp new dash to the drive.. but other than those it's a nice quick try first hack that's a 50/50 and always worth a go :)

6. spifyluk

spifyluk Member

alright, the hotswap seems like a good idea and all, but id really prefer to NOT open up my xbox #1 :[ and #2 i am on a laptop so i think itd be a bit difficult! Say i do have halo 2, how does this game help me with my dilemma? what do i do with the game? thanks!

7. spifyluk

spifyluk Member

and would the halo2 method reset my xbox to factory setting?