1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SHN mkwACT

Discussion in 'Audio' started by matinzen, Nov 24, 2004.

1. matinzen

matinzen Member

Hello, I have some shn files that I decoded to wav and now I want to reencode to shn, but everytime I try I get an error the error is caused by the shorten DLL. What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do. Also, is any quality lost when you decode and reencode, could I decode from shn and reencode to flac without losing any quality? I ask because I need the shn or flac files to archive and I don't want to lose any quality.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Since SHN and FLAC are lossless formats there should be no quality loss after conversion. I assume that you are converting .shn to .flac file directly, not .shn to .mp3 (or any-other lossy format) then to .flac right?

You can't go wrong with lossless!
    Ced

3. matinzen

matinzen Member

What I really want to do is get my wav file back to shn, but as I mentioned I was getting the Shorten DLL error. I was planning on converting from shn to wav to flac as a last resort because I need the compressed files to archive, I have not decoded to mp3.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What software are you using? Using [bold]dBPowerAMP (dMC)[/bold] with its [bold]Shorten (.shn)[/bold] plug-in installed I was able to do .shn to wav, .shn to .flac, and .wav to .shn conversions without any errors. Your goal is to convert your Wave files to SHN files correct?

------------------------------------------------------

Link to dBPowerAMP (dMC) and other software:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/127334

Link to SHN codec plug-in on dMC page:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-shorten.htm

------------------------------------------------------

Good luck,
    Ced

5. matinzen

matinzen Member

I am using mkwACT, and yes, my goal is to convert from wav to shn.

6. matinzen

matinzen Member

Using dBPowerAmp and the shn codec I was able to encode the file successfully. Thank you very much.