1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shouldn't DVD compression software be free?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by champong, Jan 27, 2005.

1. champong

champong Member

The whole point of ripping dvds is that we shouldn't have to pay for overpriced commercial dvds. So why should we pay for dvd ripping/compression software when it should be free in the first place?

Is there a cracked version of DVD2OneX or DVDRemaster out there? I've googled but couldn't find any. None at Limewire also.

2. Trier

Trier Member

I doubt you can ask about "cracked softwares" here, but it´s 50$. That´s not much..

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I think cars should be free too.

4. riprat

riprat Member

Wouldn't be great if everything was free? Then I wouldn't have to go to work every freaking day!

5. Miamiblue

Miamiblue Member

Feel the same way you do Champ! I understand that developers have to make a living too, but from the looks of it the people at Dvd2one decided to go from $30 for the software to $70! INSANE! With Windows, you get everything free! Start using a mac and Cha-Ching$$$!! Either way after all my years of using computers (macs/pc's) I've come to learn that there's a way around everything ;) Keep searching....!!!

6. macburner

macburner Guest

there is a free compression software for mac, but you get no chapters or menus. And it takes forever.

7. macburner

macburner Guest

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

champong, the whole idea about burning dvds is to backup what you already own. Not to go out and rent dvds to make yourself a free copy. Also as stated talking about cracked software or sites that may list cracks isn't a good idea. The forum wouldn't like that too much. I,m not jumping you just giving some friendly advise.

Jerry

9. champong

champong Member

I apologize for my poor choice of words and not thinking through before I posted. I didn't mean to turn this forum/discussion into a crack software forum. I was just venting my frustration because everytime some software is updated or upgraded, I had to pay for it again. (Quicktime Pro for example, had to pay for it twice and it looks like when version 7 comes out, I will have to pay for it again).

Thanks for any replies posted and clearing this newbie's misconception.
    =b

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I understand how you feel. My way of looking at it is that once you buy a software program you should always have access to all updates free of charge. Some companies do exactly that but others don't. They change the title somewhat and say its a different program and want to sell it to you again. I do agree with your thinking, you just have to watch what you say on the forum for legal reasons.

Jerry

11. thekroon

thekroon Member

and now for a not-so-PC public awareness statement.

Any dope that has ANY bloody idea of the work that goes into programming some of these bloody compression programs would gladly help out with as little as $50.

Otherwise - if everything should be free - you write a better program and give it away for all of us to use and abuse - ya hack.

BARF.

12. Trier

Trier Member

I also have to add, that I don´t think that these softwares (MTR, DVD2oneX, etc) are all about "burning overpriced commercial dvds".. No fense of course.

Since DVDs are not actually "overpriced".

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  13. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Are dvd's overpriced? That is a good question! I would think they are. In retrospect, I know many people who get dvd rental services that offer unlimited rentals for 14.99 - 24.99 and they copy all the dvd's they want. Not that I am advicated possibly breaking the law (debate rages if this is legal or not). If you think about it though, someone is always looking to lower costs to entice the buyer. You can rent dvd's unlimited for the price of 1-2 new disks. Think about it...that is all I am saying.

14. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I've "owned" photoshop since version 3.0. Every year they "upgrade" the program and charge $150 or more. So I figured it basically costs me $20+/month just to use Photoshop. I'm cool with that but I had to draw the line. I've started to skip upgrades with software. I'll pay for every other one and the cuts the expense in half.

15. champong

champong Member

I was originally complaining about how people charge money for these compression softwares and their updates. I had used quicktime as an example.

Well, Mac OS X Tiger is coming out in a couple of weeks. Quicktime 7 will be bundled and it looks like the ver 6 Pro keys won't work anymore on the new version. I can't believe I'm gonna be forced to pay for another upgrade.

Damn those capitalist pigs~ =b