1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somone please make a how to burn dvd guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by DvdDust, Jul 13, 2004.

1. DvdDust

DvdDust Member

please please please
    someone make a step by step guide on how to successfully make back ups of dvd's. I'm having major problems with programs and steps so please someone post the steps and programs on successfully rip/burn dvd's

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

1. Rip dvd to your HD with mac the ripper, osex or dvdbackup
    (You need to play some of the dvd first if using dvdbackup)
    2. (skip this step if your ripped disc is 4.3gb or less) Use dvd2oneX to compress the disc to fit onto a dvd-r.
    3. Burn with toast in UDF/DVD format. The file structure should have a parent directory in all caps with no spaces. The two folders inside should be the VIDEO_TS folder and AUDIO_TS folder.

That is a simple as it gets...

check out ripdifferent.com for mac ripping

mediaguru

3. jolisinge

jolisinge Guest

You could always have a look at the guide I posted "Garble free guide under Mac OS X".
    I am sure there are people out there who use different software (MTR, DVD imager, etc.) who could write an equally descriptive 'how to' guide.

4. DvdDust

DvdDust Member

Thank you for the info I will try everything you said,
    it is very helpful, finally somewhat of a beginners guide
    to burning dvd's
    again thank you for your help both of you.

5. McUser

McUser Member

6. Dontee

Dontee Member

With Fast DVD Copy v2.5 for Mac, you put in your DVD, take the check marks out of the boxes on things you don't want to copy. Like Spanish subtitles or French audio. Push the BIG green highlited START button and wait for about 30 to 40 minutes. It ask for a blank. Extract the source DVD and give it a blank DVD. Wait 15 to 30 minutes. It spits out the finished DVD and ask if you would like to make another copy. Fast DVD Copy makes perfect backups. It works in the background while you work on other projects. I suppose memory is a factor there. I have 1 gig on an iBook G4 1.2GHz. I am amazed at the trouble people out there are going to, to back up DVD's.

www.fastdvdcopy.com

7. yyyooopb

yyyooopb Member

Please, I need the serial for fast dvd copy 2.5

8. McUser

McUser Member

You need to buy it.

9. Dontee

Dontee Member

Fast Copy DVD will only work on the machine you first install it on. I have it on my iBook. When my 2.5 GHz dual G5 gets here I will have to buy another copy. He did offer to give me a discount on the second copy. $99 is really not to much to ask for this software. Truse me, it will pay for itself.

Dontee

10. McUser

McUser Member

I love my G5 2GHz dualie! When do you expect yours, Dontee? Is it being shipped from Apple? I ordered mine through their web store in early September '03 just after the dualies were announced and I got it by mid October. It was worth the slight wait!

I went with the Mac-the-Ripper to DVD2OneX to Toast method though. I had already invested $ in Toast, MTR is free and DVD2OneX was cheaper than FastDVDCopy.

Looking forward to using just MTR and Toast now that dual layer dvd drives are coming out although DVD2OneX is very, very easy to use.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  11. Dontee

Dontee Member

They said four to six weeks. This is what I ordered.

• Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
    • 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512
    • 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    • ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • 56k V.92 modem
    • 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English

I have the Airport base station (with modem) and the Samsung SynsMaster 213t waiting for it. My iBook is only three months old. If that dual G5 is ten times better, as they say, I don't know if I will be able use it without drooling. I'll have my P4 2.8 GHz, 1gig and the iBook set up to run on my Linux server along with Big Mac. I sit by the road a lot waiting for a delivery truck.
    I have had Dazzle, mpegs and the whole route. What a pain it was. Specially on a PC. What I like about Fast DVD Copy is, "One Green Button" does it all. Right protect? What Right Protect? After I backed up only ten or so of my many DVD movies, Fast DVD Copy was very free. It paid for itself. Thank you for your coment.

Dontee

12. McUser

McUser Member

Excellent! I had Bluetooth included which made my order a custom build so it took a little longer than a straight off-the-line order. I like being able to use the wireless keyboard and it's easy to sync with my Pocket PC too.

I'm using mine to pull video off Tivo and create archive dvds of my favorite shows/movies. I added videos and a custom slide show to the Britney Spears Live in Miami concert using Final Cut Express and iDVD. My 250GB SATA drive filled up really quickly. I'm thinking about adding another SATA but am waiting until a 500G drive comes along with a decent price point.

I'm happy with the 2 GB of RAM (2x 1GB)I bought, so far. I anticipate loading it up to the max eventually though.

I moved up from a souped-up PPC-8600 so the boost from 400mhz to 2ghz (plus the faster bus speeds in the G5) was astounding! I still have the 8600 networked as extra storage since I added a 60G ATA drive (which was huge at the time) and as an auxillary input device since it has both floppy and zip drives as well as a SCSI port for my scanner. Thinking about a powerbook next year.

I'm rewiring my computer and media rooms with ethernet cable and optical fiber too. I have a 802.11(b) wireless network but it's too slow compared to wired. I love gadgets!

Here's a tip...does your local library loan DVDs as well as books? Cheaper than blockbuster...;+)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  13. Dontee

Dontee Member

Yes, several items on my Big Mac were special order too. I don't expect it for a while. I thought I was the only true nut out there. I have just had the last coat pf paint put on the new computer room. I put TV, CAT5, and Phone in the walls with a receptacle on each side of the room. They all meet in the ceiling where the base station will be. I put a small trap door on one end of the room like a small attic access. It has an electrical outlet up there and waiting to hook up the base station. I have four plug outlets every four feet and one near the ceiling where I'll perch a TV. Air conditioning and a ceiling fan, six recessed lights that will point where I need them. Everything I wouldn't be able to have if I were married. (smile)
    That library is a fantastic idea! I knew they had them but probably would have never thought of it. Thank you.
    You are right about CAT5, it is faster. That's why I built it in. The wireless will be good to run the house and outside with the iBook. If I had it to do again I would get the Power Book too. By the time I discovered that, Apple didn't want to talk about it. "That ten day" no return is a ripoff. I wanted to get set up out there before I consider Bluetooth. My frame of reference with wireless keyboards and mice is not all that great. Hopefully it has improved.
    Sounds like you have a good thing going there. Let me know how it ends up.

Dontee

14. Dontee

Dontee Member

McUser,
    I have a nice DVD for you, can you get my email off here? I re-read your earlier post. I got a free copy of Toast 6 with my LaCie external burner. That's not the DVD I am talking about though.

Dontee

15. McUser

McUser Member

See PM