1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY LCD VS. SONT WEGA SXRD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mikej3131, Feb 7, 2006.

1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

i didnt read that much into it because i know i wouldnt have understood it haha. But anyway, here is what i got out of those posts. Sxrd does not do true 1080p and the other sets mentoned did. Was i wrong also.

Also can you explain in non technical terms what this hdcp with hdmi is?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The SXRD does do 1080p as far as displaying 1920x1080 pixels progressivly. It does not however except 1080p signals via its HDMI ports. Most 1080p displays don't except 1080p signals via HDMI. I believe the SXRD does except 1080p via i.Link/Firewire though.

HDCP in non technical terms...uhhmm?

Have you ever heard of Digital Rights Managment (DRM)? HDCP is essencially DRM for TVs. All Copy Protected digital content at HD resolutions must pass through HDCP controlled ports.

Basicly, HDCP makes it so that only devices with HDCP compatible connections can transmit and receive HD quality content. That means that if a device like a HD-DVD player wanted to transmit a signal carring [bold]Copy Protected[/bold] 1080i content to an HDTV via HDMI, both the HD-DVD player and the HDTV would need to have HDCP complient connections.

HDCP goes one step further and down-grades a signal if the display device isn't HDCP complient. Also no analog conections are HDCP complient either. That means that if your watching copy protected HD content via component video then the resolution will be limited to 480p.

HDCP (TheProjectorPros)
    http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn.php?p=theater_hdcp

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2006
  3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

HMmm i see now. So there is no way to watch copy protected shows 1080p through the hdmi port on the sxrd. The only way is maybe through the firewire port?

4. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

a little off topic here. I just got the gta:vice city iso and have the epsxe emulator.Anybody know how to configure and play this game? When i go to file-load iso ....all it does it bring up a black screen. Crash bandicoot works for me.

Is vice city even compatible with a playstation1 emulator?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi Mikej3131! ...I haven't read every post in this thread so I'm hoping I won't be repeating someone else. My comment is not about the TV but rather the comcast HD box and I mention it because when I first got my HD TV (Sony 42 LCD rear) and the HD comcast box, the comcast instructions were as brief as they were vague. The comcast box will have a menu with a variety of options from which to choose how the picture is brought from the cable box to the TV. To access this cable box menu:

Get everything connected. After the cable box has been connected to the wall for a half hour or so and all the programming info is in place, LEAVE YOUR TV ON but leaving the cable box connected to the power and cable connection TURN THE CABLE BOX OFF. (TV on...cable box off). Push the "SETUP" button in the upper right hand corner of the cable's remote and the various options will appear of the TV screen. I won't bother explaining the options; they'll be obvious. I didn't know if you knew about this so I thought I'd mention it because when I got my box, the instructions were really bad. Happy viewing! ... Gerry

BTW...my cable box is the DCT series (Motorola)...don't know if your's is the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Nice info gerry1. How did you figure out how to get to the Setup menu?

I wish someone would explain the Scientific Atlanta boxes like that.

Ced

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I sort of pieced it together. Saw the cable guy do something which brought options through the cable box. I had this tiny picture on a 42' screen. There were troubleshooting directions of the info that came with the box dealing with a small picture but they were really bizzare but between those and watching the cable guy, I somehow pieced it together. I hope they've since made the instructions clearer; it has to be a pretty common problem upon setup.

8. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Hey gerry,

I have the dct6200 i think. it is the one with the firewire and usb ports. If i do get that 50 inch sxrd sony wega rear tv, what all wouild i have to change in the settings of the cable box? also gerry do you know how to transfer the files off the hard drive on that dct to a pc through the firewire or usb?

Hey diabolos, is it worth using hdmi to hook up my cable to my tv if its not able to use 1080p?

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi Mike! Your box is of the same series and is listed on the set up instructions I got for mine therefore you would access the box's menu the same way I described. As for what the options will be...hell...how did I know you were going to ask me that LOL! To be honest, I have't done it in so long, I just don't remember. I'll look when I get home from work. As far as transfering the files the truth is that I don't have a clue. My PC is capable of home theater set up but I've never done it. I'll look at the instructions and the info I have about the cable box as well but truth be told, I'm something of a dunce in this area of inquiry LOL!

You asked Diabolos about the HDMI input; I'll mention what I did and why. Your TV is newer than mine; my TV has only one HDMI input and several component. I used the component to connect the cable box because a lot of AVRs and DVD players now have 1080i upconverters most of which, so far at least, only operate off their HDMI or AVI outputs. With only one HDMI input, I left mine clear for this purpose. Both my AVR and DVD player have upconverters. I can connect my AVR's upconverter through component which most don't allow so I used component and connected my DVD player's directly through the only HDMI on my model. I tried the DVD through the AVR but picture wasn't as good as connected directly to the TVs HDMI. (That 1080i upconverter in the DVD player is just awesome by the way; I couldn't believe my eyes when I first got it). I'll check the cable box menu options when I get home....Gerry

BTW I got my sony 42 lcd rear about a year ago and I couldn't be happier with it and the pic is awesome. I have only one regret which is not going one step larger.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2006
  10. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

i see, interesting gerry. So i take it your tv is capable of 1080 then?

Hey diabolos another question for ya to answer. if i get this sxrd and the hdmi can not use the 1080p, does component accept 1080p. You said you think firewire is able to use 1080p. is hooking the cable up through firewire better than component?

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Broadcasters don't and won't broadcast in 1080p only 720p and 1080i. That is why 99% of all tv sets forgo 1080p inputs. Its not a big deal, hook up your cable box with HDMI!

No.

Hooking up a digital devices is always better when digital connections are used! Component Video is subject to signal loss that HDMI, DVI, and Firewire are not subject too. Since broadcasters don't broadcast in 1080p there is no advantage is hooking your tv up with firewire, use HDMI.

Use firewire with 1080p sources like HD-video cameras and Blu-Ray.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2006
  12. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

thanks diabolos,

What is blue-ray? should use hdmi with dvd players?

Also does anybody know where i can get the control manual for gta : vice city. I have the computer gta vice city, but i have a controller for it and i need to know the controller setup for the playstation controller for vice city

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2006
  14. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Would i need a dvd upconverter if i had that sxrd wega tv?

15. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

So blu - ray is a disk that stores better qyuality and more storage than dvd or cd?

16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No, but it is highly recommended since it has two HDMI ports. An upconverted movie looks 10 times better a non-upconverted movie (in my opinion).

OR

Wait and buy an HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray player. Both formats support the DVD format and offer upconversion as a standard option on all their players.

Yes.

More info (Blu-Ray)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

Ced

17. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

that pretty intesresting stuff. a couiple questions

It says "In addition, Blu-ray players are only allowed to output the full resolution video signal through encrypted interfaces. This means that early HDTVs sold without an HDCP-enabled interface (HDMI or HDCP-enabled DVI) will not be able to display high definition video from a Blu-ray disc. Analog output must be resampled to 960x540 for the same reason."
    are all hdmi's hdcp enabled?

Wikipedia also said
    "Blu-ray has an experimental security feature titled BD+ that allows for dynamically changing encryption schemes. Should the encryption be compromised, manufacturers can update the encryption scheme and put it on all new discs, preventing a single crack from opening up the entire specification for the duration of its lifetime. It also uses the Mandatory Managed Copy system allowing users to securely rip a file into a secure format, a feature originally requested by HP. [8] The lack of a dynamic encryption model is what made DeCSS so disastrous in the industry's eyes: once CSS was cracked, all DVDs from then on were crackable. See Advanced Access Content System (AACS).
    The Blu-ray Disc Association also agreed to add digital watermarking technology to the discs. Under the name "ROM-Mark", this technology will be built into all ROM-producing devices, and prevent content from being reproduced in the event that a watermark is detected. Through licensing, the BDA believes that it can eliminate the possibility of mass producing BD-ROMs without authorization."
    What does this all mean summed up in non technical terms?

one last thing they said was
    "Because the Blu-ray standard places data so close to the surface of the disc, early discs were susceptible to dust and scratches and had to be enclosed in plastic caddies for protection. Such an inconvenience, the consortium worried, would hobble Blu-ray's adoption in the face of the rival HD DVD standard; HD DVDs can be handled bare (caddyless) like CDs and DVDs, making them familiar to consumers as well as attractive to manufacturers and distributors who might be deterred by additional costs of caddies.
    The solution to this problem arrived in January 2004 with the introduction of a clear polymer coating that gives Blu-ray discs unprecedented scratch resistance. The coating, developed by TDK Corporation under the name "Durabis", allows BDs to be cleaned safely with only a tissue — a procedure that can damage current CDs and DVDs. Presumably HD DVDs are similarly frail, as they are manufactured by the same process as the older optical media. Bare BDs with the coating are reportedly able to withstand attack by a screwdriver. [6]
    "

Are they saying hd dvd are going to be very fragile like the cd and dvd's out today. and that the blu ray disks will be very durable and last long?

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No, but most sets made after 2003 are HDCP compatible and all the 2005 to present (2006) sets are HDCP compaitible so there is no need to worry (they must have HDMI or DVI inputs of course).

What part, it is in non-technical terms? Do you know what a watermark is? BD-ROM just means store bought or rented discs. They are just saying that BD has beefed up security measuers that make it very hard (in their minds impossible) to decrypt copy protected content for illegal purposes.

Yes,

BD is already out in Japan. In its past forms it had to be used inside a cartridge (similar to early CD-ROMs) because the bottom surface was very easy to scrach because it is so thin. Then TDK came up with a new technology that is basicly a chemical scratch guard. Using this new scratch guard BDs can now be used like CDs and DVDs, with-out a case. Also the scratch guard makes the BDs more durable than CDs or DVDs.

BD with and without cartridge (old type/new type)...
    [​IMG]

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2006
  19. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

ok so that sony wega sxrd is hdcp compatible

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest