1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound but no Video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by davidgovy, Jul 5, 2008.

1. davidgovy

davidgovy Member

2. D51one

D51one Member

Hello David

Thank god I am not alone

I've had the same problem but still no answers, but I've a few theories.

Try your disc in a play station 3, mine worked in a friends no problem.

Most threads are from America. American models have firmware upgrades from Panasonic site which are more current than UK /(European) models.
    When you play your disc press Display on remote control and see if the Video information is MPEG-4 AVC Thats what mine shows. So if it knows the video format it must be able to play it, Right?

The only working disc I have was done in Nero Vision which produces the same AVCHD disc but the Video is MPEG-2 so only 20 mins can be stored on DVD.

I'm sure there's a way round all of this so keep looking and lets keep each other updated till others help in the quest

Happy Burning

Des

3. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Guys, your problems/compatibility are from the files themselves.

@davidgovy
    Your file needs to be recoded. The person who originally ripped the BD didn't have Blu-Ray playback in mind, probably just playback on the PC in mind. So it is not compaticble with any BD player... including the PS3. Your file can be played, just after a recode.

@D51one
    Your file plays because it was recoded with Nero, it should playback on any BD/PC device.

Go to these threads, read-up and try to gather as much information as possible. Ask any questions you may have there.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809

4. D51one

D51one Member

So how come the file that I didn't recode played in my friends PS3?

5. D51one

D51one Member

Thanks Odin24

Read the threads you suggested but no help

I converted my MKV file to AVCHD following Bitburners tutorial.
    http://www.bitburners.com/articles/...r-avchd-for-playstation-3-using-tsmuxer/4019/

Burned to UDF 2.5 format

Disc played OK in PS3 but only Audio on Panasonic BD30 player
    Panasonic recognised disc as Avchd and displayed video information as MPEG-4 AVC but no picture displayed.

Other forums have reported success with this method on Panasonic BD30 but they seem to have American models which leads me to believe its the American firmware or chips inside the players.

I'm from the UK and have a European model

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Not sure but it might have something to do with PAL/NTSC. If you search/ask in the forums I linked you to there are ways around this.

7. davidgovy

davidgovy Member

I have managed to sort the problem. It is definatly the source file because some of the x264 backups convert fine. I have used various guides on this forum with varying success.

My main problem challenge is to get a backup recognised on the 16gb sd card I have.

Is there a way to order the file structure of the avchd files so that the BD30 recognises and plays them of the sd card.

I cannot get the player to recognise the files on the card.

Any help would be great.

8. D51one

D51one Member

Hi Dave
    I've been chatting on other forums and the problem seems to be Picture size. My BD30 doesnt like 1280:720p but worked with 1920:816p but the lower part of the picture was blurred.

I'm going to try different sizes and report back.

In the mean time it's been suggested that tsMuxer has Glitches and to try tsRemux.

Will let you know

ps from what I've heard just writing the BDMV folder to your sd card should work, I haven't got one so no help there.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  9. davidgovy

davidgovy Member

I think your are right about the resolution. I will try just putting the bdmv folder onto the sd card.

10. mudstuff

mudstuff Member

Hi All,

I'm in the same boat. I just conerted a 720p mkv to avchd with tsmuxer and burned with nero. BD30 recognises it and plays the audio, but no video.

Is there a way to change the resolution without re-encoding - kinda defeats the point really. tsmuxer is meant to quickly make your files compatible and create the file structure.

I also have had no luck getting avchd to work off an SD card (using videos with similar properties to the one I burned to dvd). Pictures display so I know it can see the card.

I have tried dropping the file in the root by itself, in the BDMV folder and even had a stab at replicating a camera file structure - PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM or whatever it is and still no joy.

I'd love to get both of these methods working, especially SD.

I'm going to double check my firmware version and update that if necessary and see if that makes any difference. Bizarre as there are 720p cameras out there.

Any tips appreciated as well as how to alter the resolution if that might solve the problem.

11. D51one

D51one Member

SUCCESS

I've just updated to firmware version 1.7 and things seem to be working. Might just be one off but will keep you posted.

Let me know if yours works

12. mudstuff

mudstuff Member

Thanks, I've been meaning to update it. I'll see if that helps and post back.

13. D51one

D51one Member

Just to update you on my success so far

As long as the Video resolution is 1280 X 720 all seems well using tsmuxer to create Blu Ray then written as AVCHD using nero in UDF format, setting file system options to 2.5 and having our panasonic firmware upgraded to V1.7

However I'd downloaded a few MKV files that had wrong resolution but have used Super video converter (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html) to change them. (it's freeware by the way !!) The software needs to be installed under XP compatability options on Vista and set the program exe to run as
    administrator. Rest the cursor on options to see the pop up text explaining most things and have fun learning.

If you have any difficulties let me know and I'll write a step by step guide
    It's a bit long winded and didn't want to put you off before trying yourselves

Good Luck

PS I tried using the sd card but no success there.

14. mudstuff

mudstuff Member

Thanks D51one, I haven't had any time yet to update the firmware but will soon and will start tinkering. I'm well aware of Super but the point is I don't want to re-encode due to different resolutions. Maybe there's a way to patch the headers - I used to do this with SVCDs, then make a menu etc in tmpgenc, create the dvd files and then patch back.

I'll investigate and also post back on any successes/failures.

15. mudstuff

mudstuff Member

Updated the firmware and pleased to say 1280x720 encodes work. Tried a couple of different resolutions and either got "disc not recognised" or "reading" flashing on the display. Back to the drawing board for those. I've not tried 1080p yet but I'm sure they'd be fine. I've got some content encoded in 1920x1040 so will give that a try too.

Annoying since it plays divx and those vary in resolution.

16. mudstuff

mudstuff Member

I just wanted to ask before burning coasters - how do I burn m2ts fils to DVD?

Do I just put the file in the root or does it need to be in a BDMV folder? tsmuxer just outputs the file, can i put that in a BDMV folder in place of another file (for example if I had the folder structure for the same film, could I delete the video file in the stream folder and replace it with this one?) or are the files unique to the other video? Is there something else I need to do.

Also, any suggestions how to get it to run from an SD card?

17. D51one

D51one Member

HI Mudstuff

Used Super as a last resort, but although they play they cannot pause or seek chapters without locking up. Also took about 24 hours to run. No sign of Panasonic upgrading firmware to allow multiple resolution compatability so looks like I might get a PS3.

To stop burning coasters with correct resolution, use ts muxer but tick the box convert to Blu Ray not m2ts then write the BDMV folder to dvd using Nero (or other) using UDF format and set the file system options to version 2.5.

I don't know of any menu creating software for Blu Ray formats without recoding in Nero Vision

In conclusion... Panasonic BD30 Great Machine but VERY Quirky

unless some third party firmware becomes available

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Once you completed the encode use imgburn to creat an ISO with it. This will let you test it by mounting it and then playing it on your computer.

If you're having trouble with video during playback, what was your vbv buffer size and vbv maximum bit rate set too. If you used Ripbot264 and left it at default of 30000 for both then that could cause an issue with standalone playback. Set it lower to 17500 for both and 1920 by 1080 for resolution and see if that helps.