1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiderchip Nightmare

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by slautterb, Jun 15, 2005.

1. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Ok I'll Give Your Method a Try. Thanks

2. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

I've never had a light come on on the spider chip itself, unless the xbox is turned on. you have your chip out of your box, and you're getting the light on the spider chip itself to go on, so i think that's part of my problem right tehre. i'm trying your method anyways right now, and the programmer is sitting there now, eating 100% of my resources, so i don't know if this is going to happen. divineo finally answered my email and said to contact spider directly, because they haven't received any guide themselves. spider hasn't answered, and eveyrone says they never do on the boards i've been on

3. jn420

jn420 Member

I did have my chip removed from the xbox. I have emailed spiderchip several times to no aval. Ive been to busy to try and reinstall the chip but I will try it tommorw.

4. mikebo911

mikebo911 Member

Alright, so I've successfully programmed my chip. Let me say, this really is much harder than it should be. The good news is, once you actually get the software to detect the chip, everything runs pretty smoothly (even though it did take several hours for it to write a 256kb program). Anyway here's what I did:

-remove the mod chip from the xbox
    -make sure you have a bios ready to program (i used m8)
    -The other guy's idea worked for me, which was to first plug the programmer in with the on/off switch connected. It's hard to tell which wires go on which side of the switch, but re re-arrange the configuration until when the switch is on, the blue light on the switch and the mod chip and the programmer are all on, and when you turn the switch off, the light on the switch and mod chip turns off. Make sure you also have that small wire that is used to connect the spider chip to it's on/off switch is plugged into the programmer's on/off switch.
    -Once you have this result, take the on/off switch OFF so that it's just the usb cord, the programmer, and the mod chip. At this point, it becomes more of an art than a science. It's hard to tell which orientation to connect the pins to the chip itself, but it the correct configuration is the one that makes the blue light on the chip shine bright. Even then, your computer may not recognize the chip and give you an error message when you try to read or write. Keep plugging and unplugging things and making sure everything looks right and retrying the software until you get it right. It took me about 15-20 minutes of plugging and unplugging stuff and switching cables and crap until it started to work.
    -I don't think there's any point to reading the chip, so don't waste your time with anything but the writing. That alone took several hours, which i believe is less than 1 byte per second. Pretty pathetic. Why couldn't the makers have included some instructions, or at least have something on their website? All in all, the spider chip is not worth the 30 bucks you save as opposed to other chips.

5. mikebo911

mikebo911 Member

Also, for some reason Divineo.com sent me an extra USB programmer for the spider chip. If anyone wants it, I'd like to get rid of it for $20. E-mail me at mikebo911@yahoo.com

6. Wrighty78

Wrighty78 Member

a question for "MDSUP" i have the cromwell 2.4 bios setup on my xbox..i have installed a spider 1.1 chip on a early version xbox..now its askin for the "linuxboot.cfg" where can i get this and how do i get my xbox to read it if i burn it to cd...will i beabl to play burned off games? also when i switch the chip off by the switch my xbox omes up with an error code 5 and says it needs a service.WTF? plz help us out coz i'm at my wits end and i dont wanna scratch my 1 1/2LB ballpin hammer lol

7. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

ok, so i took the damn thing out of my xbox, and now i get the 3 lights when everything is connected, and i followed your strategy with the plugging and unplugging. it's now been going for about 10 minutes, and hasn't said anything about chip not detected like usual, but it's also not showing any progress because as usual it's using 99% of my resources, and not refreshing itself. Is it loading? I'm going to leave it for the 10 hours or so in case it is doing something, but I wish I had a progress bar or something.

8. mikebo911

mikebo911 Member

nope, I would end the program and restart it; when it is actually working, it will show a grid it will fill in the squares until it is done.

9. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

yeah, i don't think i'm ever going to be seeing that grid filling up. i can't believe how useless this thing is

10. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Yeah, I've tried everything posted here and still cannot get the
    software to detect the chip.
    Maybe the chip is fried.
    I guess I'll have buy another one, although thats not going to guarantee I can solve the problem Im having.

11. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

I'm going to see if I can return mine, if not I'm going to call it a lesson in buying the cheapest product, and get an X3.

12. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

13. Cheatful

Cheatful Member

Well guys i am havng so many problems with the spiderchip programmer. i have read all of your guys stuff and nothing will work. i have tried it all. i did what mikebo911 said to do. the programmer sees the chip reads from it but it wont write to it. i left it on all night thinking that it would take the 8 hours and no go. i was reading about the swap the chip with a friends. how would i get that to work i would have no idea how to do that. please help.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  14. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

W bought both my chip and programmer from divineo in separate orders, and mailed them back on friday to upgrade to an X3 CE. Today they let me know it would only cost me the $9 restocking fee to upgrade since the price was the same between the two spider parts and the X3, so I should receive it sometime later this week. It's going to turn this whole problem around, and I'm very happy with their level of service. Good luck to everyone else who made the mistake I did in buying a spiderchip!!

15. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

16. Cheatful

Cheatful Member

Well hazmat22 that is great but i have already flashed the mod chip once and it said it was flashing but i guess it didnt and i dont have that option to send it back to mod-chip.com. So that is y i was tring to use the spider programmer for. i emailed mod-chip.com and they said that spiderchip.com are stupid and they dont have a manual for the programmer either. mod-chip.com said they tech is on vacation untell friday and when he gets back he is going to write a manual for the programmer to reflash the spider chip so i hope that works

17. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

After some of the other people put up their success stories I had hopes of actually reflashing my spiderchip. I took it out of the xbox, which helped me get the light on the chip itself to come on, and once and a while it would work for a while without giving me the chip not detected message. But I never once got a single piece of the progress bar to show, and I tried everything I'd read at least 20-30 times in hopes of something happening. You could try sending it back, since most places advertise the spider programmer with
    "Spider Programmer is the most advanced programmer for Xbox chip. Fast, with great software and high quality packaging, it is the perfect complement for your Spider chip or any Aladdin/SST modchip!"
    Which seems like a bit of false advertising to me, since it's been probably the most difficult to use product I've ever owned. I didn't really think divineo was going to come through that well for me because it was taking them a really long time to answer my first couple service emails, but after the ball was rolling they were quite fast. It's just unfortunate that people who are just getting into the modding scene have to worry about picking something troublesome like the spider as their first purchase, I even read around and didn't see many horror stories before buying it, just a lot afterwards.

18. Cheatful

Cheatful Member

hazmat22 that is so true no bad things tell after i get it and it dont work. well i guess i will see what will happen. with the mod-chip.com people but who knows

19. erkeko

erkeko Member

Hi!

I recently bougth the spiderchip 1.1 and the programmer, i mount the spider but i flash it with a flashbios 3.0.3 for unknown. Well, now, i read all the post in this thread and i get the programmer work for read the flash, but when i want to write first it took for 9 hours with no result, only one position of the progress picture is draw... more later i get the programmer to write but for 15 minutes it hold in the 22 square of the progress bar and don't work more... anyone can help me to do to work that miserable chip??..

20. Cheatful

Cheatful Member

Welcome to our world and alot of our problems. You are one of the lucky ones at least u got it to go to the 22 square. I only got it to the first one before it stoped.Good Luck