1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview Half Clone Half Genuine?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by mwey71, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mwey71

mwey71 Guest

I have inherited a Starview cable box (long story) which was working OK except for auto rolling firmware was required. After some initial investigation the box seemed a genuine 1st gen box the PCB looked right the heat sink correct the psu wiring ok. got my info from here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/8/493446#3120937 couldn't compare remotes as it has been lost but i obtained a new one from fleabay. After flashing the box it randomly picks up different totals of channels when scanning. 66 last go which is poor seeing my replay picks up 300+ provider is ex Telepest/virgin media in the Bristol region The picture keeps breaking up once scan complete and doing the 1570 menu bit it Unscrambles channels but it keeps breaking the picture & sound up. downloading data comes up counts to 180% goes then starts again. I have looked into this further and found it also may look like a clone.I counted the vents yes found 7 x 18 hynix chip instead of Samsung but PCB is genuine as 3rd line of code not stamped on board heatsink etc correct. Any way i have tried all variants of firmware to no avail I have tried the 2.57 fixed for clones as well but get same results. When i read forums etc it is mentioned clone boxes will die with wrong firmware. Die as in won't boot up? die as stay in stanby. Would my issue of the picture breakup be due to wrong firmware on clone box. The signal coming in & connections are spot on so possibly the tuner is stuffed. Can i resurrect this box or just throw it. I see clones can be jtagged but cost vs box is it really worth it? seeing i got to buy a new soldering iron as well....I can take some pics of the box if people want to see this Hybrid box

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Don't think its a hybrid as there is no such thing, it may be a 1st generation box if anything. It may not be a problem with the firmware as you have tried many by the sounds of it and I would not rule out the tuner. But it could be a capacitor problem or more so a problem with the RF/Cable in socket. I presume you have also tried it directly from the incoming feed without any splitter, to negate a splitter problem.

Try putting the coax into the cable output socket, know it sounds strange to plug directly into the loop socket, (you will need an adaptor but only costs pennies), but I have got boxes with RF in problems working this way.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  3. CO19

CO19 Regular member

Fair play to ye Sc0use being able to answer that one ;)

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Time will tell CO, see what the OP does :)

5. mwey71

mwey71 Guest

Sc0user thanks for the advice. I have tried as suggested still get same results. Since i last posted the following has been done. Flashed firmware back to v4.00 reset box rescaned through cable connected direct to wallpoint to input & output on the starview found approx 90 plus channels both connections but still breaking up. Looks like either Cap has gone or tuner is stuffed. When the pic is breaking up i have pressed sig button i am getting 67% to 96 % quality & 73% to 90% level of signal these figure fluctuate up and down every second seems a bit erratic to me but i guess thats compression. Starter for 10 which cap am i looking for... how easy is it to get a tuner for these beasts or shall i cut my loses and skip the damn thing or ebay as faulty

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Put you incoming cable in "Cable Input" and try a different scart lead

7. mwey71

mwey71 Guest

I tried the box with various scart leads this seems to make no difference nor should it TBH. I have resulted in the fact the st*rview is faulty. Looking at replacing the caps any indication where i should look first before getting the meter out

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

9. mwey71

mwey71 Guest

The Cap doesnt look bulging or any sign of leakage i shall give it a go though i have some pics of the box if anyone interested in receiving them