1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STARVIEW UPDATING FIRMWARE - NO CODE BEGGING HERE

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Celtic71, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malci

malci Guest

What is it you are trying to do exactly, and what bin file is it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The file may be a rar or zipped format download winrar or a similar program. I presume its a Starview and you also have the correct gtromloader.

3. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

well hello scouser...fancy meeting you here!lol...ok i was asking last night about the ports option in device manager...a couple of times when iv been trying to help(!) people they tell me that they dont have a ports option to select...now i kinda thought that was because the cable was not plugged in yet or they had not installed the adaptor but sometimes they're not using an adaptor and when i go into my device manager now i have it there with nothing plugged in...whew..all that in one breath!!what do you think? :)

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sorry Vic do you mean the USB device driver?

5. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

you know how if its not working you tell them to check that the com ports match up...well when they get to device manager ports is just not there...now i have to tell you and dont laugh i dont even know what a driver is(!)...so if they dont have ports does that mean they have a driver missing?

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Exactly ;)

7. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

smashing!!so what is it thats needed?

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

"Personal Video Recorder". Its an STB with dual tuners.

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

A USB driver for the paricular cable/manufacturer and OS version.

10. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

i know im probably stating the obvious here but that would be a driver for a null modem cable and dependant on what windows they have?
    thanks for your patience!

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

No Vic the driver is for the USB adapter a null modem cable works off the serial port. The driver should be on the CD accompanying the USB adapter cable.

12. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

ok...so if they haven't installed the adaptor or any thing that uses a serial port then is that why they would't have ports as an option in device manager?

13. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Now I am getting confused :) The null modem cable alone does not need a driver as the serial port does the TX/RX work. A USB adapter needs the driver to run commands in the OS, (operating system).

So without a driver it wont show in device manager, even if it has an incompatible driver it may show but will not work.

14. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

iv had at least 3 people tell me that when they get to device manager there is no "ports com & lpt" to choose.i assumed this was because they had not installed the adaptor and recomended they install it again but sometimes they're not using an adaptor just the cable...i said that it sounded like the computer was not recognising the cable and another poster came on and took the p#ss!thats why im trying to find out the right advice.have to go to bed now and stop wrecking your head but i'll be back tomorrow to do it all over again!LOL

15. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

I see all they havent done is select the correct Comm Port via device manager ;) BTW anyone taling the pi^^ send them elsewhere ;) Goodnight Vic.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  16. malci

malci Guest

No sorry scOuser, excuse me for butting in but the way I understood the question when posed yesterday here >>>>>>>>>>
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/14/663923
    That they did not have the o[tion of any COM 1 or LPT 1 at all?, couldn't give answer.

17. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Malci the question was a bit ambiguous, (at no fault to Vic), hence my answer although its quite hard to find a serial port in device manager unless you have one ;)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  18. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

First thing if they are using a usb adapter before they even plug the adapter into the Pc they need to first install the small cd that comes with it once that has been installed it will as soon as they plug the adapter pick it up and assign a comport for it if it does not select the one they want all they need to do is go in and change it while the adapter is plugged into the usb port if they take out the adapter out of the usb and go into the device manager it will not show up anywhere as it is not plugged into the pc so that is another reason prop they cannot find the port

19. angiebabe

angiebabe Member

20. angiebabe

angiebabe Member

hiya you seem to know what you are on about can you help please just bought a starview3 box not cloned when we install we are only getting a few of the free channels ive tried pressing parental control and info then 2004 but nothing happens any ideas im not that good with techanical words so can u explain aseasy as u can thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.