1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still cannot fit everything to a DVD-R - Help!

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by kelbelle, Aug 10, 2004.

1. kelbelle

kelbelle Guest

Hi There!

Ok, I have done just about everything that I have come across. Right now I am using MactheRipper to decrypt, DVD2oneX to compress, and Toast Titanium 6 to burn. I am having a problem compressing my files and still being able to fit them on a 4.7GB DVD. I can completely burn the movie, without the menu and without the sound (I don't know about you - but that is sort of important to me) with no problem. I cannot fit the sound file or the menu.

What else can I do to at least have sound with my movie? I read "Garble free beginners giude using OSX2.2 or higher" on this site, and have followed everything to the tee. I just cannot figure out what else I should do. The thing that is really bothering me is - I just purchased DVD2oneX, and I will be really disappointed if I cannot use it.

I am working with a Mac G4 Power PC on system 10.2.8. I have a brand-new Lacie d2 burner.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. kelbelle

kelbelle Guest

I should also say - the movie that I need a back-up of is 116 min. The instructions state that I should have no problem with a movie anywhere from 2 hours and under. What do I do if the movie is just 4 minutes over??

I've been reading thread after thread from people that are able to copy everything (it seems). Am I only able to copy a movie under 2 hours - with sound, mind you. :)

3. Pinochio

Pinochio Member

You should be able to compress the movie with the menus and everything just fine. What size is the file that mactheripper spits out? If it's under 4.36 Gigs, you can burn it strait to a DVD-R using Toast. If it's bigger you'll have to compress it with DVD2oneX. Make sure that you have full disk extraction set for both mactheripper and DVD2oneX, you should also make sure that you are seleceting one of the available audio channels.

Something else to try, can you play the VIDEO_TS folder that mactheripper produces with apple DVD Player, can you play the file that DVD2zoneX produces with it? Do they have sound? I'm talking about before you burn it, while it's still on your hardrive.

4. kelbelle

kelbelle Guest

Thanks for your quick response. Now I have finally fit just the sound and movie onto a dvd, still no luck with the menu. I believe after it was ripped the file was around 7.6 GB.

I am not sure if I had everything set for the full disc extraction, I think I did - but I'll give that a whirl again. I really would like to have the menu - but I am ok with not having it just as long as I have the full movie on the dvd.

Thanks for your help, I'll give everything a try and I'll report back!! :)

5. macburn

macburn Member

Try scaling down the comression size on dvd2onex. I use a user defined4350 and don't have any problems. Sound and everything works on it. Also, try using the image burning that comes with the Mac OS X. On dvd2onex, you can use the option to create an image. This is the way I do it. Compress to 4350, and create an image and then burn the image.

6. kelbelle

kelbelle Guest

I am actually not sure how to change the compression on DVD2oneX. I don't see anything that will let me do that.

I will see if I can find anything and try to change the compression. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. Pinochio

Pinochio Member

Glad to hear that the sound worked, you've just got to make sure that you set both mactheripper and DVD2zoneX on "full-disk extraction" and that should do it.

8. macburn

macburn Member

Right under the row labeled source is a row labeled output, this is the compression setting.

9. kelbelle

kelbelle Guest

I have now gotten one DVD copied - menu and all. Now I am still having a problem fitting the 116 min movie onto a dvd. I am going to try to compress it smaller to see if that works. Thanks again everyone for all of your help - you are lifesavers!!!! :)

10. Pinochio

Pinochio Member

That's what you've got to do to fix your problem, Remeber, the data that you're putting on the DVD can't be larger than 4.36 Gigs, setting DVD2OneX to make the DVD slightly smaller than this will definatley solve your problem.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  11. kelbelle

kelbelle Guest

DVD2oneX Question: Should I have the ratio set on Variable or Constant? I'm not sure of the difference on either of these. I currently have the Output set to 4350 so hopefully this will do the trick!

Thanks again!!!

12. macburn

macburn Member

You can keep the ratio to either one. I personally like the variable. Again, 4350 is what I use to comperess my movies, you might have to adjust that higher or lower. Good luck.

13. kelbelle

kelbelle Guest

OK I've finally got it working!!! Everything is burning fine! Thank you all for all the help!!! :) :)

14. jolisinge

jolisinge Guest

Glad you got that one sorted out kelbelle. Btw the less than 2 hours is just a rule of thumb, kind of working on the approximation that 1Gb of data = 30 mins of film.
    FYI - if you choose to process the "movie only" in DVD2OneX and specify the output size as pinichio stated then you shouldn't have any problems fitting it onto any DVD±R(W) media. Remember to select the audio files and/or subtitles you need from the drawers.
    Also, I am making the switch over to MactheRipper, it seems to succeed where DVDBackup sometimes fails.
    Any comments or feedback regarding the manual I wrote would be greatly appreciated. Regards,

Jolly