1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system error 21 question

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by dishcrazy, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me i can play regular games on my xbox(non modded) and they play fine and the HD still saves the info for the game time played....i tried to softmod using the sid31 files and the proper MA for doin it i got the games saves on the memory card and i am able to load the campaign and the proper settings are correct and when i try to run linux it switchs to the screen and give me the needs service message and 21 in the left top corner

any ideas on how to fix this....i easies and most simple way would be great
    thanks

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Download another installer. If you haven't modded your xbox that shouldn't happen. That usually happens when you allow a xbox live game update your modded dashboard. Use this one, check your ms dash version it must be 5960.If you need a clean one download the ms dash prior to modding.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450#3371151

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  3. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

k ill give it a try and get back to ya...my update is 5960
    thanks

4. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

loco how do you put this clean ms dash on the non modded xbox and i downloaded the sid 4.0 nknave
    i then extracted the SID4.NK.Launcher folder and the SID4.NK.Loader.Mechassault folder ..... do i transfer the udata folders of these both to the memory card if not which part of the folder do i transfer
    thanks man

5. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

You going to transfer the files via action replay?
    These two files shouldn't be extracted. Just transfer these two gamesaves in their compressed form.

SID4.NK.Launcher.zip
    SID4.NK.Loader.Mechassault.zip

6. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

You will need to load the SID softmod menu. Do you have a crossover CAT5 ethernet cable? We will need to FTP into the box before you attempt to softmod.

You need to create a backup copy of your eeprom. Save it on your pc once created. Here's a step by step procedure. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/558758

7. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Here a detailed FTP setup.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/523607

Scroll down and read "Settings for 192.168.x.x network"
    Edit the described settings on both pc and xbox.

After you have established the connection, you will then navigate through the xbox hard drive. C:\ is were the MS dash is located. You will delete the entire contents and upon doing so you'll transfer the clean ms dash you downloaded.

8. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

thanks loco man u rock ill get back to ya on this as soon as i try it thanks

9. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

forgot to mention im using a straigh through cable

10. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

loco

Ok i finally got it to softmod had to make a AR out of a beatup controller(put to good use)

i tried to ftp to the xbox i was unable to FTP to it im using FLASHFXP and i checked with my other xbox to see if it was the connection and it connected fine....any ideas as to why its not connecting....heres whats in the network window

Current IP 192.168.0.2
    Mac Address 00.50.f2.47.d5.36
    Enabled Yes
    Type Static
    IP address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
    Gateway 0.0.0.0
    DNS1 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 0.0.0.0
    AUto Detect No

Enable Yes
    User xbox
    Password Xbox
    Port 21
    Max#of users 2
    Allowed anonymous no
    Min PASV PORT 1024
    MAX PASV PORT 65536
    SYST Name Unix Emulated by UnleashX 0.37.128a Build543
    Boost Mode Yes

Min Port 0
    Max Port 65536
    Detect Peers Yes

Enabled Proxy No
    Proxy
    Port 1080

Thanks again

11. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

Loco(in above message i did have my firewall turned off)

for some reason it let me ftp using the IE...i then went back to the flashfxp and it let me ftp using that program

thanks for the help on this

12. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

No prob, remember to backup your eeprom. This file will save your xbox if for some reason your softmod becomes corrupt or If you delete you dashboard. When that happens the xbox doesn't load resulting in error codes. That file will help you fix your xbox when that unfortunate event happens.

13. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

yeah kinda gettin that now i did the back up now im getting the red flashing eject so im goin to unistall the softmod and give it another go in the list above theSubnet Mask 0.0.0.0
    Gateway 0.0.0.0
    DNS1 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 0.0.0.0
    is what im getting is there anything worng with the network settings above?
    thanks man

14. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Set these settings in your xbox

IP address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS1 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 0.0.0.0
    Auto Detect Yes

The DNS settings remain just how you have them.

You PC LAN should be set to IP address 192.168.0.3

15. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

When you power up the xbox the LED is Green for a few seconds but it then turns red, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong. The xbox is just letting you know that the softmod is running. There is no worries.

Certain combination of colors and flashing lights indicates what is happen. This further explains the LED lights. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/210562#1173990

16. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

loco

k man i removed the softmod and updated the dash like you said
    i also deleted all the games saves from the xbox as well and then reinstalled the softmod again i now have all the settings are as you wrote in the above message
    When you power up the xbox the LED is Green for a few seconds but it then turns red, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong.

Ok this is good...lol was worried there for a bit

now to my next delima....lol when i play a backed up game it tries to load but the name of the game and loading appears on the screen and in the back ground theres the X sysmbol and microsoft and then it kicks back to the unleashedx screen and reads the disk as a data when i hit launch the second time it puts me into the drive selection

also i check my softmod info on the hard drive once the softmod was done to see if all the stuf was there and everything was there and had pics of things it saved...the only thing is the PPF xbox have the black circle xbox symbol on it last time i seen this was when i was loading a save and it was corrupt

any ideas
    thanks a million

17. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The status info for xbox games when running from disc, Tray: should read "game" and not data. This happens because your game wasn't recorded in xiso format. This happens because microsoft got crafty and made the dvd drive laser read games from the outter edge of the disc inwards. A normal disc is read from the center outward towards the edge. That's why when you put a game into your pc it can't read the contents but a small video clips plays. It a copy protection method.

Download Qwix 1.01

Tutorial how to use it.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/429772

If you don't have Nero use Imgburn. Its the best freeware recording program around.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  18. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

k totally understand man thing is im playing those backedup games on my xbox( thee one i hard modded before) since last september
    i use dvd DC to burn my iso's and not to many don't work on my other machine. the machine i just modded has a thompons dirve and i use maxell dvd-r's would this make a diff?

19. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

k totally understand man thing is im playing those backedup games on my xbox( thee one i had modded before) since last september
    i use dvd DC to burn my iso's and not to many don't work on my other machine. the machine i just modded has a thompons drive and i use maxell dvd-r's would this make a diff?

20. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

When playing directly form the hard drive, the game region settings must be set to "NTSC North America". If its currently set to "Default", some games won't load and will kick back to the dashboard screen unless you change it.

The recording speed must be 2.4X. Multi-recorder drives have a recording variable rate because they don't read at the specified speed from the get go or the program used to record doesn’t limit and regulate the recording speed. The speed increases as the progress bar increases, this affects the overall recording of the disc. When you play the disc, you often get a dirty disc error because the disc was recorded at various speeds. The irregularity of the dye of the recorded disc indicates such occurrence because shades of dark and light purple rings appear on the recording surface (the shades of color depends on the dye of the disc, it doesn’t have to be purple). Your discs may have been recorded this way.

Imgburn regulates and controls the drive recording speed. I would suggest you record your isos using Imgburn at 2.4X. Its free.

Using those Maxell discs can make a difference. Stick to Verbatim, Sony, Fujifilm, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden.