1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The difference between dvd + & - formats?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by akacheesy, Oct 2, 2003.

1. akacheesy

akacheesy Guest

Apologies if this question has been answered before I have already looked and couldn't see it.

Can anyone give me a brief description outlining the diffrences between the 2 formats? Which one is better? Which one do I need to copy movies and possibly games? (i.e. Xbox)

Thank you in anticipation

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

3. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

Supposedly the - format is more acceptable for stand alone DVD players. I have heard that the + format is better for PS2 games, not too sure about the XBOX though.

4. akacheesy

akacheesy Guest

Better? In what way?

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Either format will do you fine !!!

Take it you're currently thinking about buying a DVD Burner , if you buy a dual-format burner which are not a lot more expensive than single format burners you'll have the best of both worlds.

6. akacheesy

akacheesy Guest

cool thanks, just ordered a Mitsumi DW-7801 TE bargain £99.00 inc VAT :D

7. herbsman

8. herbsman

A better bargain :

{HA 438} OEM Pioneer 106 DVD writer supporting DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W)

The Pioneer 106 is now the worlds best selling DVD+/- DVD rewriter. When you consider that it is not the cheapest DVD rewriter available, you can really appreciate the excellent reputation it has achieved. It is that excellent reputation that has put it at the top of the sales charts.

The Pioneer 106 can write to DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CDR and CDRW discs.

DVD+/-R write-once recording is 4 speed so you can write a full 4.7GB disk in approx. 15 minutes (this will require 4x rated DVD+/-R media)

Pressed DVD-ROM reading is at 12-speed (6 Speed for DVD-R-HS & 4 Speed for DVD-RW-HS) HS=High Speed DVD-R Media.

CD-R write speed has been increased to 16x.

High-Speed CD-RW speed has been increased to 10x.

CD-ROM reading speed is 32x.

Liquid-crystal tilt mechanism is employed to eliminate any decline in recording and playback precision caused by variations in the curvature and thickness of discs.

Smart laser driver technology.

Thanks to Pioneer's original Precision Recording Technology, the DVR-106 dramatically improves the writing precision of DVD-RW and ease-of-use. Writing performance is also improved due to the application of Distributed Real-time Defect Management.

The drives strengths are its reliability and its compatibility with a wide range of DVDR media.

This is the OEM version of the drive. It does not come in a retail box, and no software, cables, manual or installation screws are included.

This unit comes with a 1 year guarantee from the date of purchase.

We offer various pieces of software to help you get the most out of your Pioneer DVD Recorder. We suggest you look at the following sites for a description of each piece of software: -

www.nero.com (Fast, ultra-stable, powerful, and user-friendly)

www.vob.de (The most complete CD/DVD Recording suite available)

www.sonic.com (Make your own professional DVD's complete with menus!)

Shipping cost will be calculated and displayed by the website before you finalise your order. The price below is inclusive of VAT.

Click here to read the full review of the new DVR - 106 at http://www.dvd-recordable.org

Price: £99.99 Including VAT at 17.5%
    -----------------------------------------------

Found here : http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/SVP_Communications_Special_Offers_15.html

9. akacheesy

akacheesy Guest

I had heard from a colleague, I work in IT supplies by the way, that the Mitsumi is actually a Pioneer mechanism. Nowt between them aprt from the badge and the cost

10. herbsman

Yeah , yrs ago I bought a Pioneer DVR104 & it was badged [bold]Benq [/bold]
    Like ya say - no difference : )

OEM version of drive is usually a fair bit cheaper & who really needs Nero 5 & some fitting screws anyway !! lol _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & 'erbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003