The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I tried all of that. When you open Catalyst, and go to the Displays Manager. it says "Attached displays currently disabled"! If I hook it up to Oxi, it shows up in windows Hardware Manager by make and model. I used Driver Magician to completely remove the old drivers, before installing new ones! I've tried several different drivers for the 3000 series, and none of them seem to work. EDID is enabled! I've tried the monitor on two other computers and it installs itself and works fine! Both DVI and the D-SUB work on my friend's computer!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

attached displays current disabled is a box not a statement. If it's blank your monitor is not disabled. If your monitor is in there, then enable it!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Here's what's displayed!
    [​IMG]

Any other pics I can send to help identify the problem?

Thanks again,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Done some reading and apparently this is a common problem specific to the 700 series onboard graphics chipsets. Short of reinstalling the driver for your monitor (not the graphics) card all I can suggest is going Force -> 1680x1050 at the bottom of the page.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam, I did that, and it will work at 1650x1050 but the screen skews to the left and down, and will not display a whole page. Part of the left side is cut off and there'a a black bar both top and bottom. No amount of adjustment seems to make any difference. The 7600GT works fine in it. I was just talking to Danny Chu at Gigabyte, and I'm going to RMA the MB and get a replacement on Monday! Something in the NB is not right. Danny said that by my using a different PCIE video card, and it worked confirms that there's a problem on the MB. NO biggie! It happens I've wondered about OBG since none of the 3DMark software will run on it. You can install it, but it just does nothing when you click on the icon! That's really odd, as they show a 3D mark for a Phenom in that MB on the Product page!

Russ

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ

You've had more bad luck with motherboards than anyone I can recall on any forum, and this time you weren't even trying for a fusion reaction.:p

Hmm! As I recall it all of them were Gigabyte boards as well.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sophy the stirrer of the pot... lol.

Actually glad that you figured it out Russ. Good luck with the new mobo. ;)

..gm

edited for sensitive readers. :p

The fusion reaction thing is funny... well as long as no one got hurt. :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stop right there.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Stop what?? ;) You talking to Sophy? :D

...gm

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You trying to start trouble around here? LOL!! Not even close! LOL!! Five of them were Asus! 2 P5P-800SE, 3 P5N-E SLIs and two Biostars! The one Biostar failure was because Biostar accidentally got the bios from the T-Force mixed up with the G-Force on their site, and when I flashed it, it ruined the bios! The other Biostar just quit after a couple of hours!

One of the Gigabytes I had, the GA-965P-DS3R was exchanged for the P-35. There wasn't anything wrong with it, I just traded up because the 965P didn't fully support the E6750. They sent me a revision 1.0 of the GA-P35-DS3R, which had a cold boot cycle problem, within days and was replaced with the v 2.0, which is still running perfectly. The problem is in the HD-3300's inability to sense the Sceptre monitor,s parameters. I've tried the monitor on 6 other computers including two laptops, and it does 1680x1050, clear as a bell. Even the OB Intel Graphics of my old Dell 3000 runs it flawlessly at 1860x1050. The big Dell 19" works perfectly on the HD-3300 graphics at 1024x1280. Something in the NB/Video, I think! Danny Chu from GigaByte Tech Service emailed me first thing this morning, and I tried all of his suggestions with no luck. Since the monitor works fine in every other computer I've tried it in, Danny said to replace the MB! As you can see by this pic, it recognizes the monitor, so no problem with it.

[​IMG]

I'll cross ship it to Newegg on Monday! so I'll only be without it for a day or so!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Code:
    You trying to start trouble around here? LOL
    To quote Whalin Palin "you betcha."

I seem to recall you RMAing the GA-965P-DS3R two or 3 times alone as you slowly moved up through revisions, but if it's any help. In all the boards that I've used over the years I've only returned two, and both were Gigabyte and one of them was a GA-965P-DS3R, but it was DOA. The other was a socket A GA-7VTX AMD board. Any other boards were killed by my wife or time.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

No, I think your recall is fawlty! LOL!! I purchased the GA-965P-DS3R v. 1.33 because of a link DocTY sent me, and I never had any problems with it. It was only the lack of support for the advertised 1333 bus when I bought the E6750 that made me ask for a swap to the P35! I only had one GA-965P-DS3R, the one I traded in for the GA-P35-DS3R. One P35 to replace the one with the cold cycle boot problem, got lost in shipping and was delivered to the wrong address, so they sent out another one! That's probably what you are thinking of! The one with the cold boot cycle problem is the only GigaByte I've ever had to replace! That makes it 5 Asus, 2 BioStar and 1 GigaByte!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't ever remember Russ having particularly much difficulty with Gigabyte boards, and he's built a fair number of systems. I don't want any more of this in this thread, or any other.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You weren't always around. I was posting for lite humor but I also don't make claims that aren't true. I am posting information that I received from Russ on a thread far far away. I have a habit of collecting posts. Here are a few from the past.

Here is perhaps the first post where I encountered Russ.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/235934/1377732

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/235934/1429062

I seem to recall that I also encountered Sam on that same thread.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/235934/1425585

I still have all of the original hounds posts in a file that I saved

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/235934/1425585

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, I don't see how this is relevant to the current thread, other than a reminiscence..

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It was a romp down AMD lane but definitely in the past.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Seems like only yesterday! LOL!! That was my first post on AD! I still have the Dell 420 Workstation!

Thanks for the memories,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I missed it being 5 years since I signed up. I think it was about a fortnight ago. Seems like forever to me... :)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    I just noticed this interesting revelation. Check out the drop down on this CCC Pic.
    [​IMG]

I know for a fact, having the manual that the monitor's maximum resolution is, so the list should have ended at 1600x1200!. The NB/Video isn't reading the information being sent by the monitor properly. 2048x1536? I don't think so! LOL!! I'll do a "Prisoner Exchange on Tuesday"! Then as soon as it appears on UPS Tracking, they'll ship the replacement. It's quicker that way!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, that is the complete list of resolutions supported by VGA. It will show up if the maximum resolution of the monitor can't be determined.