1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Deadrum, don't worry about the magnetics as a computer has lots of magnetisim in it. all fans have have magnets. all drives whether hd, rom or floppies have 2 motors that have magnets in them. your external & possibly internal speaker has a megnet in it. your crt monitor has magnets in it. all you need to worry about is voltage & static.

2. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

:(

Anyway, thanks for the assistance mate. I can't believe how much knowledge i have gained from you and other people on this forum since early December last year. If you had asked me at the end of last year what SATA etc was i would probably have scratched my head.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  3. herrick

herrick Regular member

@sammorris

Can you please help me and I dont care about the cost at this point [tax return ah,ah,ha,] this is what I need

first rip out these deltas...my God they are load!!!!!!!!!!!

2 ea. 120x120x25 mm
    2ea 90x90x25 mm

I want the fastest but NO noise.... give me a link please

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick here are some others as well. ;) Silverstones (these at least) push some air and are pretty quiet. NOT whisper quiet but hey at that sorta CFM what would...

link to fans....

ddp thanks for that info. I've wondered about that since it was brought up a while back. ;)

@DeadRum,
    You also might consider some "electrical" screwdrivers. They're coated on the shaft and normally come in a package of 5-10 drivers with a "special" one that has the ability to "hold" a screw with ease with or without magnetism. ;) link 1 link 2 link 3
    There are other manufacturers out there but if you're gonna do this on a constant basis Klein is about as good as you get!! good luck with that .... sounds like fun. ;)

...gm

5. herrick

herrick Regular member

thanks bro...

you are really earning your game...ah,ah,ah,

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Herrick
    The Best way for that to happen...is a Fan Controller...Quiet when you need it Quiet...Fast when you need it Fast...
    Deltas...No wonder...I will post some suggestions after todays games...Looks like the Pats have got this one...

@ddp
    Glad to see your still here...I hope life is treating you well...I'm sure the forum aren't...LOL..:)

7. herrick

herrick Regular member

have controller per sig....ah,ah,ha,

ya...ROTFL...Deltas...you busted my chops mths ago for them, and rightly so...should of asked you guys first, leaned on my own understanding- its like a missle taking off LOL

BUT Im ready now baby...cant wait in till the parts come in...happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

a few fans to look at herrick. I would go with Scythe, Silverstone, or Silenx.....just my opinion tho...

link to fans 120mm

90mm (i picked 92mm hoping that they would fit.....any one know the answer to that??)

...gm

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well while we're on the subject I may have pushed my opinion on the HD 3870 a bit too hard maybe. Sorry about that guys.

I still stand on the 3850 512 being better than the 8800GT 256MB though.

Hope we all get along now.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

noctua S12 are probably for me the greatest fans made. had they had an led varient, it would also be nice, btu untill then, for ALOT of airflow and super silence (vs the antec900 ones on low) they are the kings. but they cost about £12-£15 for ONE fan.

11. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Hey guys, He_Man here.

Just wanted to create a new AD account. The name He_Man was depressing.

Greg

12. herrick

herrick Regular member

are all the SILVERSTONEs white? man not good...everything On my machine is black and blue no other colors except silver on some case work

have window on case door w/ a 250x250x30 fan on it...very big case 11 bays

13. herrick

herrick Regular member

greensman

92mm I bet the holes dont match?

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

herrick, do you want colored lights with the fans lol

15. herrick

herrick Regular member

blue...to match the other lights LOL

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the response, I really like those tech stations. If I'd have known of their existence I couldve made my bench half the size it is! I made it big expecting at least one properly running machine to be on it next to an old case opened up to slide individual components in and out.I have a tool kit and multimeter already, even if I dont know for sure which wires to be testing off the top of my head (I know where to look for that info so its not as bad as it sounds).

DDP-Thanks for popping back and clearing that up, I really was not afraid of using those types of tools, I'm sure used PROPERLY there'd be no problems.
    Greensman---Thanks for the tool links, and I'm no mod (they asked but I said they dont get paid enough...LOL) but I dont think you were out of line back there. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/426825/3730630 Theres a difference between stating of ones opinions and being insulting and it didnt look malicious from my neutral corner.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

someone correct me if im wrong but i think i read somewhere that the 92mm fans are really a 80mm fan base with the bigger blades on it. i know that sounds wrong but i think i read that in a review somewhere..i personaly dont know. just hear say..

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I cant blame you as I seen the email you recieved...
    Any other ideas to make a better "PC building workspce" are always appreciated.

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

herrick's case has 92mm fans...for some stupid reason thermaltake calls there...92mm fans...90mm...
    If you look at the specs on the bottom of the page...on this 90mm fan...they state...fan dimensions as (92mm x 92mm x 25mm)...
    http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/DCfan/LEDfan/thunderblade/thunderblade90/thunderblade90.asp

@deadrum
    I also like having a "Computer Caddy"...just get (4) swivel wheels...mounted to a board with carpet or rubber mat covering...that way you can set the computer on any side...and not worry about marring the finish...then you can just rotate it...to what side...you need access to...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.