1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

In some places in Florida that along with a pair of shoes would mean modern living. LOL

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ouch. We only get 1500/700 in our student house in York but it only costs £18/month. (minus the VAT that'd work out at $30/month in the US), and the only reason we get poor speed is because of our awful phone line, not our service, if we had a proper quality line we'd have around 15Mbps down, and 1500kbps up, based on our distance, same price.

3. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

[​IMG] Sorry Any tips for running XP 64 bit on this new build?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol. That just hurts. What I'd give for a connection like that.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

arent we going off topic with these speed tests?

[​IMG]

and as i said sam, reference cards (not the elaborate cards) are made by foxcon/ati and then a sticker is slapped on top. the bundles make up the price after that. thats why if I were to buy a refernce card (not likely to happen as most of the refernce cooler are a little crap) id go for th cheapest, as gfx cards dont last over a year, and the minimum waranties are a year.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes you are off topic.

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I would say that the E7200 is a pretty good choice. Seems that people can OC with it too!

10. Xevlys

Xevlys Regular member

Can anyone elaborate on this a bit more? abuzar says Asus is better quality, but even so the specs confuse me fore the price, And im still not sure is the listed Socket 775 is the same as LGA 775.

Also, is the Asus video card i picked in the more expensive build gonna be good? I think Asus is genrally high quality, but like sam said sapphire sucked with 3870 so i just wanna make sure Asus isnt bad with the 4850 or something. And, regarding the case, is the Cooler Master 590 still gonna be sufficient or do you think ill need one with more ventillation and/or fans if i ever decide to OC a bit?

Still dunno what im looking for as far as hsfs go x.x

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Xevlys
    Yes they are the same...
    I believe it is the same basic chasis as the CM-690 which holds (7) 120mm fans...so it should be fine...
    Go with a HD4850 over the HD3850...if that was the question...

12. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

all the refference ATI cards are allt he same, so go with the cheapest 4950 you can find.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My email notifications stopped working for this thread... :(

As for the 4850, it's not quite that simple - get a good brand because they come with manufacturer's warranties, cheaper brands don't. For general warranty concerns I'd probably go with Sapphire. Asus are not wonderful for tech support, and Powercolor's is non-existent.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey, this is what I said. I never said for SURE that the Asus has way better quality.

I mean if I personally had the money, I would definitely get the Rampage Formula. Unfortunately I don't.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's got nothing to do with quality - that was a bit defensive. I speak solely for warranty returns. Asus do make their own version of the card, it is not the reference design (and yes, I checked that, the circuitry on the PCB is completely different) but I've no idea if they're better quality or not. So far so good. Warranties for graphics cards are important though, so sticking with a company that honours them without fuss is wise.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No no, you mis-understood. I was talking about the Rampage Formula VS the GA-X48-DS4.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah I see, my mistake.

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

well i told the PC shop to stick that
    ASUS Striker II Formula

they said they would have the Asus Rampage Formula tomorrow lol

still looking like the end of the week before I'm up and running though

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Xevlys

Congrats on the thinking of a new built..I'm glad your gonna pick cooler master Centurion 590 take it from me the case has excellent ventilation but it depends on the heat sink you choose..i may have the smallest heat sink out of everybody here which is Cooler Master RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler..I can modify that to a 120mm fan if..i want..i also have six 120mm Blue Led's running and also a 120mm Blue Led inside my PSU and they all are Cooler masters fans my heat sink has been Lapped personally by myself so heat can escape faster the case is not to different that the 690 only thing on the 690 that it has a bottom fan rack and the hard drive storage bay is different..but i lov the case right now i got E6750 Oc'd at 3.6Ghz temp at 34c idle and at 47c stressed depends on the temp in my house but i keep my air running all summer until fall sets in some there is a differents there plus my air duct is right above my computer also blowing down on it..I would run with the 590 if..i was you,You won't be disappointed at all it's a great case..just make sure your measurements are right on the heat sink you choose..i'm pretty we all can help you with that..my next build will be with the 690 case with green Led's and asus board with a bigger and better setup..i just gotta finish tricking this 1 out first..lol

ps.back from my short vacation it's good to get away sometimes to the moutains..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.