1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Have you tried the OC thread? If not here it is!

You might try DVDHounds as well. I think the guys here are great but it never hurts to try another place if you haven't found what you need at the place you're presently looking. LOL.

....gm

2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@mike
    Your OC that on a 430 Antec...Boy your on the edge of maxing out your P/S depending on what all else you are running...I didn't see any spec's on the rated amps...but you have got to be close...

@greensman
    Good to hear you stuck it to that attorney..:p God I Hate Attorneys... }:) Die...Die...Die...

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Lp531 I don't want them all to die but they should suffer fo sho!!! hehehe.

Hey look at that PSU and see what you think about it. I have an AMD X2 3800, 4 DVD drives, 2 250 SATA HDD's, a 7600GT GPU and only one fan running in my system. I think that I'm stressing out the PSU and should get something a little better for now. I want to add at least one fan or maybe 2 to increase airflow. :) tia buddy. :)

@MOrt81,
    You got any input?? I don't want to go extreme here just make sure the puter I presently have will have enough power for some time to come. If you remember right I'm gonna do another build early next year but I want the puter I'm typing on now to last. ;)

@mike and all,
    I got the following as a promo deal. I'm thinking about buying the Antec for my present puter and selling the APEVIA 520W on eBay for whatever someone will pay for it. LOL. link to Antec psu

[​IMG]

...gm

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@greensman
    If you had just spent $25,000 over the last 2 years on a frivolous lawsuit...and knew...next months bill was going to be around $15,000...you might change your tune...to at least...Mame...Mame...Mame... }:) LOL

The Antec 550 should be fine for your needs...I just wish the power was over a single rail...

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I found it here for $15 less, total delivered price! I think I'm gonna upgrade! LOL!!
    http://www.directron.com/bx80557e6750.htm

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

@theone,
    The link you gave sends us to a CPU that costs $205 with free shipping. The one I linked offered it for $200 shipped. I'm missing something like a promo code for yours I guess. :)

....gm

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Ok I'm on your side then!! MAME MAME MAME!!!!! LOL

I agree on the single rail power supply but this is an every day rig and doesn't have a lot of power consumption problems so I should be ok with the Antec 550. :)

btw I will be getting something like the PC Power & Cooling for that new build after X-mas. :D

...gm

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@greensman
    The difference is probably in sales tax...Its cheaper for me to order it through Directron...then Newegg...due to tax...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greensman,
    Sorry, the add wasn't open before and I just clicked on the link! I didn't know what it was. When I clicked on the link it just gave me the regular Newegg page @$204.99. I even did the "Add to cart and put in my zip code to get the tax and shipping. I even looked for a special deal, but none was mentioned! LOL!!

What is with AD's server. Sometimes everything works smooth as glass and other times you have to sit and wait what seems like forever! This has been going on for months! Same problem with posting, that's why sometimes there are so many double posts. Perish the thought that they wouldn't have active adds showing. If for some reason they don't open properly it slows everthing down! I don't mind static adds, it's the one that things have to move around to catch you attention that bother me! What's next, sound bites! You know, "Hey you! The dummy at the computer, I want to sell you something"! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    theone

10. popol24

popol24 Member

I've looked everywhere for this in Australian websites, but with no luck!

crowy,

Where did you get yours? And also to everybody else, what would be an equivalent to this power supply (PC P&C Silencer 750 EPS12v - QUAD)?

11. crowy

crowy Guest

I thought it was an australian website:( sorry my bad!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  12. popol24

popol24 Member

ROFL!!!

Sorry, my bad... It didn't have a .au at the end of the url, so I assumed it was from the US that has available shipping to Australia! LOL! Ok, that means I'm all set now

edited:

I had another look at the website and I'm pretty sure it's an American website... But then again, I could be wrong :p

edited:

Ok, now that we've agreed that it's an American website, how long you reckon it'll take to get to Australia, let alone Darwin! LOL

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  13. crowy

crowy Guest

Try sending them an email and ask for a total cost/ETA to Darwin.
    If it all becomes to hard we will have to look within Aust only.

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The site is in Australia...unless I am missing something...
    https://secure.flickerdown.com/index.php?crn=281&rn=518&action=show_detail

It runs about $170 to $200 in USA...so you should be able to find one at a comparable price...in Australia if that site is a bust...

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Bummer! The Flickerdown store is in South Hamilton, Massachusetts, USA! I cheated and clicked on "Contact Us". Sorry, it was a good price!

I'm still confused by the: This SKU is for Australia delivery ONLY!!!! Why on earth a store in North America has a special for Australia, is beyond me unless it's being shipped from a manufacturer in Australia, billed through Flickerdown!

EDIT:That was a bad guess. The company that makes them, or puts their name on them is in Carlsbad, California USA. The only thing else I can think of is this version of that particular model doesn't conform to US standards and is not allowed to be sold here. Flickerdown does list the very same model for sale in the US. Maybe they are made in Australia and sold under their own brand name and just made available to Australia to improve their sales. Confusing!!

Best Regards,
    theone :>(

16. crowy

crowy Guest

popol24'
    Just to throw a spanner in the works!!!
    Have a look here:
    $1,551.40
    Includes GST
    And free shipping

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7870

This is from Nintek who are based in Perth(where I am).
    This looks to be a good deal and the bonus is free shipping!!

Plus your getting everything from one place.

The one thing I would suggest you change is the motherboard to this:
    http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=13237

It's a higher spec board with more o/clocking options but will probably add around $50 to the price.

Your also getting a quality aftermarket cooler in there and some good thermal grease and last but not least check the Processor!!

One more thing,the money you save on shipping components from all over the place will probably almost pay for a monitor.
    Have a look at the monitors on their site and add which ever you choose to the package.Maybe they can ship that free as well?

This is the company I bought my memory,thermal grease and cpu from and can highly recommend them.

Let us know what you think.
    Regards,Crowy.

Email them and get more info if your interested.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  17. popol24

popol24 Member

Mate! That's a very tempting offer you put there LOL I'll figure out the cost for shipping and etc and compare the total price to the offer you put there... I'm still at university doing some "work". I'll go and figure this one out tonight. So what's the difference between the duo and quad?

I'm guessing that with a quad, it'll be 4 x 2.4 GHz? and if this was duo, it'll be 2 x 2.4 GHz? If this is correct, then I'll be even more tempted LOL

18. crowy

crowy Guest

That's right.

Where you will see the real benefit is when you are multi-tasking.

Each core can be doing it's own thing,whether it's executing or accessing code.

You could be encoding a dvd,playing a game,have your antivirus/antispyware and email program running in the background and still have power to spare.Some of the newer and up and coming games will really make use of the quad core processors.

Another thing is the system comes with a 500gb hard drive as opposed to the 160gb hard drive you originally mentioned.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

popol24,
    The only thing you would need to add would be a rear case fan and you would be good to go!! Of course, I recommend the Silverstone FM-121! LOL!! Nice deal, Crowy!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

20. crowy

crowy Guest

The extra fan certainly wont hurt anything!!
    That's good advice.
    Darwin is right up the North of Australia and the temps in summer are
    way up there to say the least!!The inclusion of the Noctua heatsink and the extra case fan will certainly help.

I'm sure we've got popol24 at least mildly curious about o/clocking too;-}

When popol24 realizes the cpu that comes with that package, when mildly o/clocked can easily outperform a qx6800 extreme at stock speeds, he'll be heading straight for the bios!!!LOL!!!The cheapest price I can find for the qx6800 extreme here in Australia at the moment is a tad over $1300.

Talk about bang for the buck!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.