1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. askyew

askyew Regular member

Hiya remmoc I am not familiar with your board, but there are only a few boards that overclock without having to change bios settings. The first question for you is are you familiar with your bios? If you are then raising the FSB with the ram in 1:1 will also raise the bus speed of the ram. The rated bus speed(speed at which the ram is guaranteed to run at) is 216 mhz. I would suspect the processor you have should achieve that speed without problems. Remember that the temp is the biggest concern you should have. If you are planning on running your machine overclocked at all times an after market cooling solution is highly recommended.

Edit: just checked the chipset that is on your board and I am impressed. Nvidia seems to have solved th pci/agp lock with this chipset and created a very good fsb overclocker. It is as feature rich as the canterwood chipset as well. You should be able to overclock your board easily. The award bios is one of the friendliest out there. If this board would have been out when I purchased mine it would have gotten my attention and quite possibly been the board that I purchased. Here is a review of the chipset:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2004&p=1

let me know if you need help navigating the bios and we will have you overclocked in no time.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 2.8c @ 3.2
    Abit IC7-G
    2x80 gb seagates barracudas
    ATI AIW 9600 soft mod by w1zzard
    2 x 256 pc 3200 Kingston valueram(hynix chips)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  2. wobbleboy

wobbleboy Guest

hi - im fairly new to this pc building thing and i'm not sure how to just set up the speed on my cpu. my pc is registering my cpu at 1.6ghz so i know i've done something wrong - so i need to know the correct cpu fsb clockj speed for bios, i'm running an athlon xp 2800 on an msi kt4av motherboard with 1 stick of 512mb ddr pc2700, if that makes any sense! also the thermometer on my case is reading 76 - 77, i pressume the only wire left unconnected in my case is the temp gauge but i'm unsure excactly where it goes. can somebody please help me?

3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

my pc is reading that temp too, however i think it is b******s as it is open case and very well cooled.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]CPU: AMD athlon 2800+ XP
    Motherboard: Quasar(MSI) MS-6786
    RAM: 768mb 2700 DDR
    GFX: 128mb Geforce FX5900XT (overclocked)
    HDD: Seagate 120GB, 7200rpm[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004
  4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

5. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

sup guys i sold my kt400 soyo dragon n i got the gigabyte GA-7N400 pro2 with nforce2 chipset am gonna start OCing my xp2000 see what it can do.. i got it to 2.08ghz with the kt400 n that probbably as high as it will go running stable...

6. wobbleboy

wobbleboy Guest

Hi, Cheers agent K that thread you led me to worked, i'm now running at 2.09mhz thanx - but i still have a question where do i put the extra wire in my pc, as my temp gauge still reads 76 - 77. my guess was to put it between the proccessor and coooler fan - is that right?

7. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Glad you got that sorted wobbleboy,

This wire that you mentioned, is it part of the case and what case is it?

My cpu cooler came with a sensor but it's supposed to be attached to the underneath of the cpu with thermal tape. Didn't like that idea so I didn't bother.

8. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Hi, i really wanted to overclock my athlonxp 2800+ (thouroughbred b core), but packard bell made the bios grannyproof and now wont let me overclokc does anyone know how to get round this? any information would be helpful, it is a Quasar (MSi 6786) mobo and a phoenix award bios.

10. askyew

askyew Regular member

I am not familiar with your mb chipset but look at the amd boards at the bottom and see if you have one of them.

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

There are other overclocking apps out there but clock gen is the hardcore enthusiast software. Many people with the ability to overclock in the bios use it because of its reliability on the locks.

11. Diesel04

Diesel04 Guest

Can someone tell me how to overclock my Pent 4 3ghz processor? How would I go about overclocking it?

12. askyew

askyew Regular member

Hiya diesel, can you list your system specs? Is it an oem machine(i.e. dell,hp,gateway)? If you don't know your specs download cpuid v1.24 here:
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    This will give you your mainboard specs along with your ram type and timings and identify your cpu. Post back and we will have you overclocked in no time. Is that 3.0 a northwood or a prescott? If it is a prescott you will probably need an aftermarket cooler to overclock. You will be able to overclock the northwood some with stock cooler but you will need a monitoring app to watch your temps closely.

Barry

13. Diesel04

Diesel04 Guest

Thx for the link askyew. I bought my comptuer from Cyberpowerinc.com. I have a Prescott Pent 4 processor. My chipset is i915P. My mother board is an Albatron I think. I have 512 MB DDR RAM PC3200. If there's anything you need to know I'll try to see if I can answer them. Thx again.

14. askyew

askyew Regular member

So cpuid said the mainboard manufacturer is albatron? What does it say the model number is? What does it say for the bios brand and version. Do you know how to get into your bios? I don't see an albatron board supported in clock gen so if you can't overclock in the bios then you probably aren't going to be able to overclock.

15. Diesel04

Diesel04 Guest

Right next to model it says Grantsdale. Bios brand is Phoenix Technologies. Bios version is 6.00 PG. The reason I said it was an albatron is because when I ordered it the processor was messed up so I opened it up to look inside and it was an Albatron. To get into bios don't you press F8 or DEL when the comp boots up?

16. askyew

askyew Regular member

The Albatron does have the phoenix award bios. Yes press delete repeatedly during the boot to get into the bios. Here is a link to an Albatron i915P chipset motherboard review see if your bios looks like this:
    http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/mobos/Albatron_PX915P_Pro/pg_4.htm
    Once there you will want the advanced chipset features. Here you can change the cpu(fsb) frequency and this will change the processor speed. If you are going to keep your ram insynch with the bus speed as you raise it you may have to either relax your ram timing or give it more voltage. If you don't know where your cmos reset is you better go to albatron and download a manual from this page:
    http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification.asp?pro_id=123
    The reason you will need to know how to clear the cmos is because if you push too far you will not be able to post. In this event you will have to clear the cmos(return bios to defaults). Voltage will help you to higher overclocks but it will also help you to higher heat. Find a monitor program for your board and use it, also set up temp limits in the bios to warn and shutdown at higher temps. Heat will be your #1 concern when overclocking the prescott. Read your manual and research your mb online and then set a goal to overclock to. Post back with any problems and we will see if we can help you

17. Diesel04

Diesel04 Guest

Thx alot askyew.

18. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

i s/w from my soyo dragon ,i jsut got the DFI infinity Nforce2 motherboard and i have a xp2000 i Oc it to 2.0ghz and it runs ok but at 2.1ghz it starts windows and at the end near the wlecome screenn computer will restart, this motherboard is a lil diferent then some of my otherones i had i have a pc 2100, also when i was upping the CPU FSB it went to about 150 and memory to 150 but if i go to like 155 the memory will lower to 120 or 125 or so am not sure why is doing that... when it should just keep OC pass 150 mark to whatever the FSB on the CPU is... culd it be that its pc2100 and its meant to run at 133 and 150+ its just to much to push it ?

19. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Manny, your XP2000+ runs 133FSB and your mobo will do 166FSB (and I think 200FSB also).
    If you run your XP2000+ @ 166FSB you will get XP2600+ and your AGP and PCI will stay in spec, @ 66MHz and 33MHz respectively.
    You will require memory @ 166(333DDR) as well, which is PC2700.
    I recommend generic PC3200, which would be underclocked and could therefore support more aggressive timings ie. CAS2...
    You must set your FSB:Memory ratio
    ie. 4:4 ; 4:5 ; 5:5
    (The ratio is a multiplier of 33MHz)
    I believe when you pass 150MHz FSB your mobo is switching to the dividers for 166MHz, which would have your AGP and PCI underclocked @ 150FSB.
    Go right for the XP2600+ (166FSB) and with somewhere around 1.65 - 1.70 or maybe 1.75v (CPU) you should have no problems :)
    Note: you can run 133FSB with 166 memory (4:5)
    but not the reverse; memory speed must be equal to or greater than FSB speed.
    So, the only thing standing between you and XP2600+ is the obsolete PC2100 memory.
    Pickup 256MB PC3200 (quite inexpensive).
    Then, when you can afford another, you can fire up dual-channel mode with 512MB.
    Hell, if you're wealthy you can grab a nice Corsair CAS2 1GB kit (2 x 512MB) @ PC3200...
    Pickup one for me too, LoL :)
    The 'old way' of inching the FSB ahead, 1MHz at a time, is to be avoided if possible (and can cause more problems with stability & compatibility than it is worth)!
    Regards

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

you will lose performance/speed that way...but it's better than being unstable/un-bootable. i run 166FSB/200RAM on my gf's computer and it's stable as heck. a little slower in benches and such..but its better than reboting all the time.

one for me too please!!! :)