1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. im1992

im1992 Regular member

No, I really don't care about silence. I just want excellent airflow in my computer. I will just stick with 120mms' for now.
    thanks for the help sammorris!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, for the hassle involved, it isn't worth trying to botch an accommodation for a larger fan.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

im1992 a few of the 140mm fans come with a "convert" kit to fit 120mm holes. Look at these and see what you think. ;) linky to 140mm fans

Ok per Morty's request, I'll not bring up fans again in this thread. :) here's the fan/cooling thread

..gm

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I be hauling a$$ now w/ my new build. my DVD-RB/CCE SP times are down to around 50 minutes on average. that includes 3 passes with CCE (I use 3 passes on everything regardless) and building the ISO. that is full disc w/ only previews, adverts and warning screens removed. includes menu, movie and all the extras. my times would most likely be under 40 minutes with only 2 passes and no ISO.

when are those Q9450 quad cores going to be out in full production? I want one now. I'll probably wait until they're in the $300 range.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

just for testing, I ran a folder through DVD-RB/CCE SP again except this time only 2 passes with CCE and no ISO. 30 minutes on the nose. that same folder took right at 50 minutes for 3 passes and time to build the ISO. pretty speedy.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

mort i have seen the oem one floating around and i belive they are still shipping the preorders on the reatil versions but this is in the uk, i would imagine its the sam on your side of the pond.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

marsey,

they're around here and there but mostly limited to oem/tray vs. I think I'll wait for a retail vs and the price to drop a bit. I want the 3 year warranty.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9. im1992

im1992 Regular member

just wondeing if this is good for a 80mm fan?
    Fan Size 80mm
    RPM 2000 ±10% RPM
    Air Flow 25.64 CFM
    Noise Level 22.05 dBA
    -thanks

10. 1234aaron

1234aaron Regular member

me again, would anyone know the best CPU i can get for my Acer aspire SA10, i heard my system doesnt suport dual core but im not sure...
    thanks

11. im1992

im1992 Regular member

What is the socket and current cpu? Download CPU-Z and it will tell you the socket type and other info about the cpu. A screenshot of CPU-Z would be great.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

1234aaron,

On your Acer Aspire SA-10. First it's socket 478 with a 4X AGP video slot and only supports a 533 Front Side Buss. Here's the specs. I doubt that there's a CPU available for it today as the modern P4s and Celerons won't work in it. You'll have to check with Acer on that!

http://www.acer.com.au/acer/akc/rwp...chure.pdf/$file/Acer+Aspire+SA10_Brochure.pdf

Not to rain on your parade, from what I see from the specs, it's a bit like a tired old used car! Time to jack up the License Plates and drive a new car under them! LOL!! You just have nothing to work with! You would have to replace so much just to make it as good as you can and you still wouldn't have very much to work with. The 200 watt power supply is at best, inadequate. These were some of the cheapest computers that money could by when they were new, and there's not really much you can do to improve it!

Sorry,
    Russ

13. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

Hey guys, I'm after some info on thing's I shouldn't do when overclocking. I just overclocked for my first time, my Pentium D from 3ghz to 3.325ghz. I had it at 3.75ghz, and it crashed after 10 mins.

Any tips on heat range, and maximum over clocking?

14. im1992

im1992 Regular member

as for heat, get a good heatsink or better yet get water cooling
    for the max oc, every chip is different and so all chips overclock differently
    i am pretty sure that if you bump up the voltage, you will get it stable at 3.75ghz but make sure you have a good heatsink to get rid of the extra heat created by the over voltage.
    -good luck

15. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

When I had it at 3.75, my temp was only 42degrees celcius. With the voltage thing, I don't wanna upmy voltage incase I fry my CPU. Any tips on how much I should up the voltage by?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

i_am_alex,
    I had my D-940 to 3.84 stable, but I found out later that even though it passed OCCT for 12 hours, it wouldn't complete the work units folding! I had it as high as 3.94 but couldn't quite get it stable. I settled on 3.71 as I was pushing the technology of a P5P800 SE motherboard to it's limits any faster! I wouldn't go past 1.40v with it. Use the voltage that shows in the PC Health part of the setup. Stay under 1.40v and it will run for a very long time! Still, I'm glad I built mine! I built mine when everyone else was building AMDs! LOL!! It was a worthy replacement for an aging Prescot 3.0/800 and a nice machine to boot. I also got a crash course in the economics of buying cheap components. I, like so many before me learned that lesson the hard way! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Ja, it's a pin mod and has been used since the E6600. But it is really a budget fix for a mobo that doesnt allow for any BIOS options to OC. The mobo does have to support 1333 natively cause you are using auto to get it there as a trick. I did it then for fun, but some mobos dont know how to handle it and or some CPU's cant do the 1066 vcore at 1333 on certain mobo's. But it is fun to play with.

Most good brand RAM can do that easily at 2.2v and that is safe for modern RAM and just monitor temps and keep cool. Add a fan if you feel it gets warmer then usual. Better RAM as top end stuff like Crucial, OCZ, and Corsiar can do 1066 easily w/ barely a tad more vDIMM. Loosen timings of corse and even maybe the tfc if aloowed. If using higher density modules, might ned more volts to the NB too.

Wow, I guess it is just luck of the draw. I had my D-940 to 4GHz daily on the 12x and my D-950 (C1) currently to 4.25 daily but benched 4.55GHz just for kicks @ 1.37v. Now on the nVidia nf4-SLI I couldn't get past 3.78 on the 12x only on the high multi. moved back to the then new P5WDG2-WS !955X.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Considering that the P5P800 SE wasn't originally made with Dual Cores in mind and was beefed up in the later revisions with heavier VRMs to support them, 4.0GHz was no problem! Requiring over 1.40v to do it, was! It took 1.42v for 4.0GHz, and you had to keep an eye on the temps, which was too high a voltage for me. My limit for those CPUs is 1.40v! It really needed water cooling, which isn't an option for me as I don't want any water inside my PC! The Fusion blocks on the High End Asus boards have a well documented history of leaks, so if Asus can't deliver a leak free product to the consumer for the outrageous price of the Striker II Extreme MB, I'm not about to go mucking around on my own and risk what I have because of a leak!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The Q9450 was and is readily available here in CA US too as each OEM and Retail. I picked up retail on sale for $279. step SLAWR , batch # L803B524. Who has info on the good or better batches? I barely got it 10 days ago.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That is a very good price. where did you get it at? I want one. have you tried it out? OC ok?