1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

But it's a good thing some motherboards can bypass it. Thank god for AMD or Intel would totally lock us out.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

If you've read what I posted about the Phenom II on the AMD Build thread, then you know why they didn't!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/9/719940#4399060

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is this not just another step beyond them locking the multiplier down, but letting us up the FSB instead?

5. navskin

navskin Regular member

do you think this would be a good system to overclock by 10%.

Case: antec 300 with 3X120mm fans and a 140mm fan.
    mothetboard: asus m2n sli deluxe
    cpu: amd athalon x2 5000+
    cpu cooler: acrtic frezzer 64 pro
    gfx card: 8600gts (will be getting hd 4850 on tuesday)
    ram: not sure on the make but i know its drr2 800mhz
    psu: corsair HX620 watt

what do i have to think about when i overclock with AI NOS or will it do all for me.

thanks

graham

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

graham that build should OC 10% w/o any issues. If you can OC'ing manually is normally better and almost as easy. ;) Good luck to you. :D

...gm

7. navskin

navskin Regular member

so i am totally new to this but been doing a lot of reading and if i drop the cpu mutiplyer and rase the FSb will that be better the rasing cpu the volage. than just pumping up the mutiplayer is that better or not.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I encountered a similar build like that (same board and processor), the most I could get out of it was about 6-7%, maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

9. navskin

navskin Regular member

going to do it now will post back when done.

10. navskin

navskin Regular member

ok after running prime95 for about 10 mins here are temps.

CPU:38C
    CPU Core1:25C
    CPU Core2:26C
    MB:28C

what you think of the numbers?, and what the best way to test system.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those temps are very good, no problem there.

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

If you substitute the 5000 x2 with an 5000 x2 black edition you will get 20-25% overclock just by changing the multiplier, i run mine now at 3.1 - 20% overclock as it seems the sweet point with no extra voltage and it still runs cool.

13. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Core temps are out on alot of the later amd chips, allow between 10 - 20Âșc extra on top of those temps.

14. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I'm finally getting around to overclocking my system and I've got a few questions about voltages. Is it safe to leave them on auto/default or should I change them to a set value and if so what should I set them at? I've looked for their default values but every program gives me a different voltage. As always any advice is appreciated.

CPU - E6600
    MB - Asus Commando

Thanks,

Parker

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's always better to set things manually but for the first few minor steps auto is alright. Just don't go cranking things up really high on your first step. Take it about 5 Mhz at a time. When it fails to load then you will know that you're at the point where voltage increases become necessary.

BTW, don't panic when it fails to load just reboot and start over. If it won't post then unplug the power for a minute and try it, if that doesn't work then there is a bios shorting plug on most newer boards, and if that doesn't work then remove the little spherical silver colored battery for a few seconds and then replace it. Good luck!

16. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks Sophocles. When you say 5mhz at a time, do you mean increment by 5mhz from the start, or when I'm near my limit? With luck I'll be able to raise my CPU to 3.6ghz and at that rate I'll have to raise my FSB 240 times. At one time I OC'd my cpu to 3ghz (stable but dropped it right away because of heat problems) so would you say at the very least it's safe to increase it a little faster up to that point?

Thanks,

Parker

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Try this, move your processor up in 30 MHz increments until you reach 3.2 Ghz and then move it in increments of 5 MHz. Patience is a wonderful thing when looking for sweet spots.:}

Does a painter paint one brush stroke at a time? LOL

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Once again thanks Sophocles. So far everything is looking good, though I'm probably going to have to stop at 3ghz because of heat, though I might push it a bit more since I plan on getting a new cpu in 6 months.

BTW, whats a good program to that will test/fully load all components of my system? Right now I use TAT to see how high cpu temp will get, but those readings are always higher than any other stress test I've run and only stress my cpu. For instance, TAT will get my cpu temp up to 55C but when I run ORTHOS and OCCT it will only get to 48C.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Parker,
    The Asus Commando is a very difficult, but rewarding motherboard to overclock. You can get great overclocks, but it takes Knowledge, Skill and patience to do it. It's meant for the Experienced Enthusiast! For them, it's a "Jewel" waiting to be polished! It only disappeared because of lower priced comparable performance motherboards in Asus own product lineup did the same job, for less money! If you take your time with it and learn everything you can, you'll have pretty much learned how to overclock anything. Excellent MB!

Russ

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks Russ, good to hear that I choose a good MB. Unfortunately I don't have the cooling necessary to really OC my system so I won't be able to push any limits or use its full potential. It looks like 3.1ghz is as far I can go without the cpu getting to hot and my systems been completely stable throughout the whole process. Guess I'll try to tweak the RAM a bit now.