1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty impressive - post in the deals thread? :p

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That and a way to increase their I/O speed!

Russ

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

NO!!! Why do people post these deals?? Inserts fingers into Chinese finger lock!! NO BUY RAM!!! lol.

Nice deal there mrk44. :D

....gm

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I guess I better not tell you about the 500GB Samsung with 16MB cache for 69.99 and free shipping then! LOL!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152098

LMSOAO,
    Russ

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

7. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Whoops! Completely forgot about that thread LOL! Anyway, Ima gonna go pick up a couple of those sticks from my local frys. and WTF, why are they so damn cheap??? I thought it was a mistake at first. The weird thing is that this isn't even a weekly or daily special. They have this price ALL THE TIME. WTF?!?!
    I'll post it in the deals thread too

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44.
    Simple, the demand for 2x1GB sticks is low. Everyone is now switching to 2x2GB sticks. I have the same memory, that I bought about 4-5 months ago and it was $40 w/free shipping on newegg after the $40 MIR, which I received! Great memory, BTW! I have mine running at 1066 on the nose with the CPU at 3.55GHz and it works great. They run extremely cool to the touch too at 2.11v!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I was surprised at the price because no other retail tech store has it that cheap. Best Buy has it for $250! and CC for $120...Fry's has it at $200 if you buy it in store. $35 price is only available online...and it used to be $200 like the store...

I got some too from newegg 3 months ago, but it wasn't as cheap. Paid $89 and I'm still waiting for my MIR, which is taking ridiculously long...and yeah, they are amazing. running 1066 w/ cpu @ 3.20

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    I get special deals offers all the time, because I buy a huge amount from them every year. Over 20K last year and it will be more than that this year.

The bad part is I barely make a living because no one has money, so I have to work cheap! Hell, a Vista conversion used to be $150! Now I get $50! It's that or starve! I do get a lot of work though! LOL!! Things will be better after the election! I'm seeing mostly newer computers that were bought at Discount stores. Lot's of Higher end AMDs. Even the eMachines are 64x2 4400+ and up! Not seing a lot of Celerons these days or Semprons! People got their Money from Uncle Sam and bought a lot of fairly decent computers! LOL!! I should have a pretty decent customer base by the time this little recession is over, because most people are return customers and they tell their friends! Even my high doller customers aren't doing much right now. I think all the big Investors are holding back so that when the Election is over, they'll know where to put their money! It's kind of a bad time to back a Dead Horse if you know what I mean?

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I/O speed? SSDs outperform any hard disk drive...

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    As of the end of may, that's a 100% true statement! Before that "Results Varied" as they say! Samsung's claims were not met in actual testing!

Now they just introduced a 256GB drive that is scheduled to go into production that "Real World" is 3.5 times as fast as a conventional S-ata 3.0 drive. Not even a hint as to price yet, but it will take a long time to recover the initial expense via lowered power consumption. I know their 64GB SSDs only draw 1 watt! The absolute worst that the 256GB should draw would be about 4 watts. Many times less than a conventional drive. I see laptops being their initial market for obvious reasons.

256GB is a much more useful than the previous 32 and 64GB drives, and it meets and even exceeds it's specs in the real world. Here's a little about the new drive. It's not even on Samsung's website as it's not in production yet.
    http://gizmodo.com/393198/blazing-samsung-256gb-ssd-is-the-one-weve-been-waiting-for

Now the only big issue will be the price tag!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

finally did some benchmarks guys so here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very happy with the results!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, my mate Jon has three 64GB SSDs and has benched them in HDTach, and Samsung were telling the truth...
    Zoso: Interesting, near as makes no difference you get the same score as me in Dhrystone, but a good 15% more in Whetstone...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I did some more looking on the net and it may well be that his is a later revision based on the dates I came across. It's entirely possible that the earlier versions were not as good, speed wise! Witness the specs on the 256GB drive. They are better then the 64GB's specs! Can't seem to find anything regarding the price of the 256 though!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 64s are more than enough, they cost as much as a Velociraptor!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I wouldn't mind having a 256 for my main drive and then use my others for storage. I'll bet you wouldn't mind the lack of noise either! LOL!!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Very true, I probably would mind being completely penniless though!

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well it seems I've picked up a virus (Smart Antivirus 2009) it shows up in the control panel, But no way will it delete. No reference can I find in registry. Tried Spyware Doctor, but it keeps coming back.
    Anyway after running Spyware Doctor my C: drive no longer shows up in win explorer, its in disk management. The computer boots OK, the only way I can access it is in Disk Management (explore) I can't even change the Drive Letter. Right now I'M in safe mode and Smart Antivirus 2009 is no where to be found, its not even showing uo in control panel
    I know this is all my fault, I let it in some how through NOD32
    HELP PLEASE

20. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.