1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I would favor this one over others for it's 1920x1080 and it's smaller Pixel Pitch. Asus makes some very good monitors. It also includea both VGA and DVI cables. Free shipping is also a big deal as the box it comes in is huge. It's also not a TN panel!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236053

Happy New Year,
    Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

VERY nice Russ. Though I want this one Linky myself. What... its ok to dream, RIGHT? LOL
    Happy new yr by the way :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

How bout one of these Deadrum? linky

...gm

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

GM... I hope you dont/didnt mind my using YOUR trademark (Linky). Its so logical, you know? I'll try to think of something else if you prefer I didnt use it. :)

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hi gents,

this is of topic and I apologize but I've got a little dilemma. I went to upgrade my moms acer 5315 laptop with more memory, from 2 x 512mb samsung DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) to 2 x 1gb crucial DDR2 667 (PC2 5300). now it won't boot up. nothing on the screen now period. power led lights and dvd tray will open but screen is dead. I reintalled the original memory and same problem. it has vista home premium for OS. any suggestions? TIA.

if anybody has any suggestions feel free to PM me in order to keep this thread on topic. thanks.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mort, start a thread in pc hardware about that problem. no error beeps at all?

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

will do ddp. btw, no beeps.

8. ddp

try 1 old stick at a time in each ram socket. see if can find cmos battery possibly under left side of keyboard & remove it for a few minutes.

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Greenie-I like where you are going with this, limit by cash not size! Must be married and like me, ready to squeeze out as much as possible when allowed a new toy! LOL!
    Omega-I have dreams like that too! Mine also ends with locking myself in my basement workshop, finally coming upstairs and my 3 year old magically is 16 and in high school and I say "I've been glued to that thing for HOW long?
    TheONE-Good find. As you said, cables and free shipping are a plus and the factor that made me choose the Asus over all others. Being this late in the day, new years, and the weekend, my shipment should arrive next Monday!
    Thanks again everyone and happy new year!

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'll look for the battery when I go back to my moms tomorrow. I don't want to tear it apart too much as it is still under warranty (brand new). I started a new thread here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/735129

btw, acer's support sucks. there isn't a phone number period in the manual. I finally found a number on line but they were closed.

11. ddp

send it back under warranty replacement & don't tell them about what you did with new ram.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

My 3 year old is now 33! LOL!! I know how you feel. I've got Grandkids older than 3! I was looking that monitor over and it has a 16x9 aspect ratio. That's kind of rare at that resolution. Most 22 widescreens are 16x10. Glad to have been some help!

Happy New Year,
    Russ

P.S.
    GM Take note: This is an Asus! ROFLMSOAO!!

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Robo
    the deals are not coming from Dan Moody I've hooked up with
    someone from (XtremeSystem) and did some horse trading who
    owns there own little shop and has these two parts laying
    around (open box) and tested..I hav'en seen Dan in a Long
    time sense..I been in there or he's hiding from me..I've heard
    his name called over the speaker but hav'en seen him in the store
    i've been spending most my time at Xs meeting and talking to new people and learning more about Biostar boards and Asus & Gigabyte etc
    and helping others that wanna listen without offeneding you.I just dont fit in here..been trying to get my account deleted.I just came in to say hi and have a Happy New Year to All and express a R&R on
    my Antec That's all Be well my Old Friend and take care:)

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

NO trademark. :0 I "borrowed" it too. ;)

Deadrum you gotta do what you can with your money. :) So which LCD did you go with? I missed it somehow. :)

...gm

15. spamual

spamual Guest

that monitor has hdmi aswel iicr... im thinking of buying it for the ps3 ill be getting soon

also russ, you might be a bit mistaken, its gotta be a TN panel, the viewing angles are 170°(H) / 160°(V)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's the same as My Sceptre, 170x160
    TN's are 160x160 The Asus I recommended is an S-PVA, not a TN! This particular model used to have a TN Panel and was 2ms. This new revision one is 5ms!

Russ

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Curious. Does anyone know what exactly limits a board regarding wattage limitations on a processor. My msi board will not except a processor if it exceeds 89W on the athlon x 2's, with a max of 94W on the phenom processors. I must admit though, I am not JUMPING into my next build. My next board will have as few limitations as possible :( Sick of how limited my board is! 2 sata ports! 1 ide(can live with that one though). I would love a board thats MONTHS ahead of the times. YAH RIGHT!!! That'll happen...
    [​IMG]

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Actually I've been toying with the idea using a Linux distro to turn an unused laptop into a mini server but can't decide on which one to use.

Thanks for the offer Russ, but I could manage if my XP pro CD wasn't MIA. I figure by the time I get around to finding it windows 7 will either be out or it'll be close enough to the release date to merit waiting. Since it's never crashed, only has problems with playback of some video files and it's mainly used for work, I'm too lazy to change the OS with windows 7 on the horizon lol.

My desktop with XP pro has never had stability problems no matter what I do; its been F@H for 2.5 weeks 24/7 now and still no problems. The closest it has come to crashing is when I accidentally pulled the wrong plug from the power strip XD

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This will be my choice. About as future proof as you can get.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128352
    Specs and features
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2887
    While it does have on-board video, it has it's own video memory. HD3300 Graphics, DX-10 and Can handle anything up to 140w. AM3 Ready. I want one! LOL!!

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks russ, :D Whats your opinion on Gigabyte. I suppose its good, if you WANT it, LOL. They do average VERY good reviews ive noticed. I gave MSI a shot, with my last build. QUITE impressed. Wouldnt mind another Asus though. See... my Hp 2001 pavilions got an asus in it. Solid performer with its 1400mhz AMD processor. Its survived Cross country travel twice, hardware swaps, etc. STILL kickin. Asus is OBVIOUSLY a performer as well :)
    LOL, you know what I'd REALLY like for my next build...DUAL QUADS! Now THAT would be a screaming board :D :D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.