1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's an all-acrylic case, which means it's impossible to hide cables in, is very noisy, very expensive and very easily damaged...

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

that case is the sexcellent Silverstone RV02 "Raven 2" case.

i <3 it :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Chris,
    Thanks, but I tried that. I also tried the - adjustments with the ACC and lowering the CPU frequency. It will run fine, as long as you don't stress it at all. Running Sandra benchmarks just makes it fail faster. It will just hang the test. The mouse will still move, but you can't open or close any windows. Right after the mouse locks up it just wails at you, and you have to press reset or power down to stop it. No indication of any heat problems at all. Not too many 7750s will unlock the two cores anyway. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nice case Bigwill! I think im in &#9829; LOL!

Although it looks fairly high maintenance depending on where one lives. Probably hard to keep clean in my area...(dry desert like terrain). I do see some advantages to that though. One would definitely see something visibly wrong pretty easy. E.g. a fan going out. I generally know when a fan goes out in my towers. The smallest noise from my tower does NOT go unnoticed LOL! However, nearly inaudible fans would probably be hard to tell.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I found it
    http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/pres...-rv02-is-comimg-soon-in-the-middle-of-august/
    the air design don't do it justice in that department and the plug ins on the top on thw way the motherboard is positioned crazy to me
    I could'en stand plugs coming out the top of my case no way...the
    outter trim reminds of a cm 690 case
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=22&id=2975

glad you fell in Love with something so clearly saw by the naked
    eye...lol also omegaman whould you call this a clean area to work?

pretty clean to me brother:)
    [​IMG]

yes that's true you can't hide wires but you can cover them with protective covering a verious colors also and make it all neat and take your time with it and there is such thing in Dampering the case for noise reduction with padding materials damage the case Watch where you put it without moving it alot

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nice work area. A lot cleaner than mine LOL!

This is a disgrace! I suppose it ain't bad for the moment anyway. I had to give my mother the PSU from my secondary, because it got EXTREMELY obnoxious. To the point that would have made Sam commit suicide LOL! See...the gateway tower that I put the PSU in, is a tool-less design. And unfortunately, it was not designed to accommodate a PSU that is 1 inch longer than the stock PSU. So I put a half inch of foam on the case door, to hold it in place. It also sits on a 1/16 - 1/8 inch shelf. So I shouldnt have to worry about it falling. The foam is to simply keep it from vibrating around :) Not too bad If I say so myself. At least for a week anyway.

Looks like it may not be enough either! Oh well. It'll get me through 4-5 days anyway. anyone know of a good PSU, 5 1/2" in depth? It can't be longer than that because of the tool-less design. There's a clip, that when surpassed obviously doesn't work LOL!

I suppose the easiest way to think about it is its one of the older PSU form factors. Really tiny compared to some of today's large PSU's. So its probably one of the 20-40$ PSU's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

That's really nice, i'd love to have my computer room that neat and sparse but who can live with just one PC (shudders) and no other bits and pieces :)

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...my mother couldn't possibly be any happier. I asked her how her computer has been running, and she smiled. She is so happy that its sooo quiet. Its that thermaltake 430W by the way :D While there is a slight humming, its no where near the obnoxious whine/growl that it was before.

I wonder how many of you have tried google chrome. I installed it last night, and I would say that it runs at least as good as firefox. Possibly quicker. I guess time will tell. Its definitely pretty friggin smooth. :D

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

been using chrome for months, the latest firefox builds are too unstable.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Nah, Firefox is fine here :)
    Plus here's a slightly older Firefox working nicely too ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/637778/4801510

As for Chrome, i have it on my Windows 7 machine but i cannot for the life of me find how to go back to previously used tabs, it's like it's only developed for young people or something :O

..don't tell me how to find the tabs btw, i can't actually be doing with so many browsers anyway :p

11. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

What a coincidence today I swapped to the dev version of Chrome and am quite happy with it. I know dev versions are generally BADDDDDD but I'm pleasantly surprised as it works well and has stopped an annoying random really slow load time that I had in the Beta. I'm also quite pleased with the speed of Namoroka (that's the early Alpha of Firefox 3.6) it's still not as fast as Chrome but is a fair bit faster then stable Firefox. Stability is a big problem in it though.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Next network structure failed today. 2 of 4 left...
    LAN2 Fixed and LAN1 Dynamic (IP) still work, LAN1 Fixed and LAN2 Dynamic are both dead. Once the last two go, I'll need to reinstall windows. Not great considering this install is only 2 months old...

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'll tell you, I'm not having a very good time with Sata ODDs! When they work they are fine. No better than the IDE, but far more troublesome! I would love to know why they use such flimsy interface connections for Sata. I went to copy a DVD a little while ago and the drive went all the way through the burn and then wouldn't write the lead out! I couldn't even open the drive to eject the DVD!

I tried to uninstall the drive figuring that it would get it working again. Wrong! I still couldn't open the drive to eject the disk! I had to remove and re-install both drives, reboot and then shut down, then re-connect both drives and now they are working right again! The hard drives don't seem to have these issues, although if you don't disconnect all but the boot drive when you install a fresh copy of XP-Pro and format the drive, it will format a partition on the second drive too!. It has always formated the C drive as well as one of the partitions on my second drive if I leave them connected. It automatically recovers the second drive partition (which is time consuming), but you always lose something!

Frankly, I'm going back to IDE for the Opticals, as the Sata's have proved troublesome! I can't do much about the hard drives except remember to disconnect any additional Sata HDDs before I do a fresh install of the OS, since I always format the drive first!

Another gripe is that when you use the Sata cables with the locks, there's nothing to keep the plug locked to the ODDs. They lock to the motherboard end perfectly, but they are worthless at the drive end! I think that's a large part of the reason that some of us have had Sata connection problems. I just wish that the drive manufacturers would address the problem so that the locks would hold the data cables snug like they do on the motherboard! I would certainly hope that NASA doesn't use these flimsy connections on their computers in the Space Shuttle or their rockets! I'm perfectly open to any comments, or tips in setting up my Sata drives that might resolve these problems. Maybe I just don't have them set up properly as I know nothing about them at all!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have never had any grief with S-ATA Optical drives. Presumably you have faulty cables. The hassle with jumpers, the huge cables, and the vulnerability to being starforced of IDE drives coupled with the older technology is enough to keep me with S-ATA, and why not?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Optical ODDs aside, someone needs to explain to me why when I format the C drive, it formats either the E or the F partition on the second drive as well! I select the partition that I want to format and make sure it's the correct partition (easy, as it's only 38GB), yet every time I leave the second drive connected, it formats a partition on each drive! I've never had this issue with IDE! I though that maybe since the second drive was once used for the boot drive (too noisy), that I needed to wipe the drive, but I've done that with Killdisk and when I re-formated and installed XP-Pro, it formated C on the boot drive and F on the second Drive. It's not just me either as I've seen lots of complaints about this problem on the net! If the cables are going to give this many problems, maybe the cable manufacturers need to resolve their problems with the cables and stop delivering junk! What good is the new technology if it doesn't work properly?

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Once again, an issue I've never had. Sounds like a dodgy format program or ICH to me.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    On 5 different motherboards? I would rather tend to doubt that! The Sata is running in native IDE mode. Should it be in AHCI mode instead? If so how do I do that?

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never used AHCI voluntarily, I'm told I should, but as far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Amen!!!

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ, doesnt killdisk say that you should only connect the HDD you want to wipe? i know of other HDD wipers that say this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.