1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

no problem. i was playing guitar hero anyway :)

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

I need to get that game.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

removed. I had a brain freeze.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Ya, it really addicting.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Let's not start politics here. We know how fast that can go downhill...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You still don't get it, do you? People can't eat "VASTLY superior technology"! Not blaming you at all, by the way! You're young and single and probably live at home with family. It's a lot different when you have to pay Rent or a Mortgage, Electric, Water, Gas, Cable and Cell Phone bills. That's before you go anywhere or even eat! Throw in commuting and money becomes a very short commodity! Ask the family people here right now, in this thread! They'll tell you the same thing! It's getting real damn tough out there for hard working family guys, and it doesn't look any brighter for a good while ahead!

Respectfully,
    Russ

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I have different priorities. If I have to struggle to pay for rent, food, etc, I'm not even going CLOSE to building a computer. 300 compaq it is!

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    irrespective of who's to blame, it's a problem that won't be quick in disappearing, no matter who's elected! It's going to take 5 to 7 years if we start doing something right now! We may even see Gas Ration Cards in peace time before all of this plays out! We'll need to get rid of Gas Guzzlers! Make them pay more at the pump, or have 4 or more passengers in it not to! I just saw an add on TV for a 390 HP car! Would someone explain to me how that helps save energy. What in God's Green Earth does anybody need 390 HP for in this day and age? Granted it will get you down to the Liquor Store quicker! Pick up a case of Killian's Red so you have some on hand in case I decide to visit, would you Please? TYIA! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOT knocking anyone and definitely [OT] for a minute. :) Sorry Mod's. ;)

Just my situation dictates about $2500 out go every month.... That's a little conservative I think but it's close. We just KNOCKED out a consoledated loan and car payment that totaled $1050 each month.. so less than 6 months ago it was OVER $3500 out go each month. So every $150 saved is gas in the car, food in the mouth, or clothes on our backs. :)
    [/OT]

LOL@Morty..... you and me agree!!!! :D

On topic.... ;0 well sorta.. ;)

Pics of the NEW Hyper 80mm (thin) fan I installed in the RC-690

You can see how bright that fan is!!!! You should see it in a "dark" room.... lol. ;)

I also added a 140mm to the other side to aid in cooling the mobo, gpu, and create more air flow in general. ;) With the addition of the 80mm and 140mm I think that I'm getting much lower temps for the mobo, gpu, and cores.... ;)

before fans

after fans

those of you with the RC-690 that want that little extra cooling... add the 80mm and 140mm fan to the side panels. ;)

....gm

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Looks like you nailed the airflow, right on the button. Looks very good! You might benefit from the Enzotec CNB-R1 Rev A northbridge coolers. Depends on what's doing the cooling right now. I noticed your MB temp dropped like a brick! A 14C drop is impressive! It shows you're doing things that help!

Russ

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Russ have you used/installed any sata 2 HDD ? are they worth the extra money.

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

what about us guys with the RC-590..you know..I'm just playing they setup the same side and top..lol hey us 590 guys count too..GM..:) gonna add a 80mm on that side..good looking out GM...:)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    SATA II Misnomer (Credit to Wikipedia)

The 3.0 Gbit/s specification has been widely referred to as "Serial ATA II" ("SATA II" or "SATA2"), contrary to the wishes of the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) which defines the standard. SATA II was originally the name of a committee defining updated SATA standards, of which the 3 Gbit/s standard was just one. However since it was among the most prominent features defined by the former SATA II committee, the name SATA II became synonymous with the 3 Gbit/s standard, so the group has since changed names to the Serial ATA International Organization, or SATA-IO, to avoid further confusion.

I believe you are asking about the Sata 3.0 Gbit/s standard, which is what I'm using now. I can tell you this, I have used this same drive as both a 1.5 Gbit/s and as it's present 3.0 Gbit/s, and it's considerably faster at 3.0!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i also have the so called sata II drive. when you get it, it has the jumper pin still in it.you wont get the 3.0Gbit effect unless you take that jumper out... i had that pin in for a month before i read about it and took it out. as Russ said there is a big difference...

on topic of the off topic subject.LMAO

the cash flow here in Ohio is getting as bad as it is everywhere else.ive spent the past 3 days looking for a part time job on the weekends just to pay for gas to get to my regular job..as a matter of fact once i post this im going to microcenter's online site to apply....only thing about that if i get a job there i wont make anyting, they will just take my check to pay for the parts i want...lol

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That really depends on how good each overclocks and how fast Nehalem really is. All that we have to go on is the word of a couple of tech sites. We'll see when reality.

Here's a Toyata hybrid that will really save on gas and fuel costs.

[​IMG]

Mort

I would take care about inserting partisan political views into this forum, because the potential for carnage and blood letting is unbelievable and can only result in the closing of this thread. I recommend that you all clean them as soon as possible.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

This is true and I say this from my own experience.

Lapping can just as easily cause more problems than it fixes by scoring an already smooth surface. Unless you are prepared to completely polish the surface then don't get started, and it's not easy to determine just how level one has made an already relatively flat surface. Also the use of abrasives can actually produce more air pockets to trap heat than the irregularity of ones heat spreader and heat sink. I have however removed passive cooling and replaced it with a couple of small heat sinks and fans, and achieved excellent results.

Lapping even when successful nets relatively small returns, usually less than -5C which is a best case scenario. The removal of the passive cooling and the addition of quality thermal paste is almost as effective without lapping. I have however found that the simple addition of a fan attached to the passive cooling even without replacing it can reduce temperatures by as much as -8C to -10C idle and greater than -15C under load. The negative here is that you will probably have to live with a little extra noise since even air when moved can be audible without mechanical noises. The benefit is that if you can already hear your fans then it probably won't add anything and it will cool and allow for a higher stable and overclock. There are of course some who will point out that one can do both lapping and fan cooling.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeah I had a "dead zone" in air flow with the bigger video card and NO side fan. Imagine that with NO side fan. lol. Anyway I thought what the heck another couple of fans couldn't hurt and besides they are pretty quiet... Of course the AeroCool 140mm is, impressively so. :D

I still need to do that NB heatsink "mod".... lol. :p @ Morty!!!

....gm

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I never use side fans because they can actually affect the processor fans by creating counter resistance against them. Also I prefer a lower front intake and rear exhausts. This has the fans actually working with each other to lower mechanical resistance, and provide for a fairly quick flow of air through the case which is then exhausted at the back. Side fans in my view actually reduces that effectiveness.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Soph I went with that "theory" to begin with and decided to try the "extra" fans to see if it would make a difference. Well you be the judge. ;) See this post. linky.....

I also bought one of those little 40mm Antec fans Russ has been going on about and I don't think it'll fit on my NB with the TRU cpu cooler. lol. Ain't that a silly thing. ROFL. :p I'm taking alternate suggestions for a NB cooler fan atm.... I don't want to replace the NB heatsink right now either because I'll have to get 3 different coolers (SB, NB, mosfet) to replace the "heatpipe" tech that is on there now. :-(

...gm

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not to doubt your posts but I can't know all of the variables that could also make a difference. I don't have any posts to counter with but I can say that my cases with side fans were always the hottest. Perhaps there were points in your case that slowed the flow of air from the front to the back. For example if you were demonstrating examples made using the same case, then the opening for the side fan was already there which would've interrupted the forcing of air flow and flow speed from the front of the case through to the back. It would be a little like adding a hole in ones vacuum cleaner hose. In the end all that I can say is that I've tested this many times over the years and except for the time back in about 96/97 when I removed the side panel and pointed a fast house fan into my case it never worked.

This is a benefit of water cooling. There is nothing in the way of adding an additional fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.