1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The main reason for buying the dock, is that it supported drives larger than 2TB.
    Says it supports up to 4TB, but I can't imagine why a 6TB would be a problem. Unless they intentionally put a limit on it :eek:
    I understand how the wraparound would occur on a dock that doesn't support it. In any case, I had already exceeded 4.5TB, and had no issues. It was when I put it internally, that things went down hill.

Now you're probably wondering about write cache. Not sure how it's currently set, but I always restart windows. And I also always make sure the tower is discharged, before connecting/disconnecting drives.

Aw well. Live and learn. This will take weeks to replace the data. At least it wasn't my precious data drive lol Which currently has a redundant drive :cool:

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that drive is 50% over the capacity of the dock can handle. I presume the usb port on your computer is usb3?

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If a device can handle SDXC, you'd think it can handle more than just a mere 64GB card, right? That is where my logic is coming from. If 4TB is the absolute maximum for this dock, they did it intentionally. Or through sheer ignorance.
    Yes, USB 3.0. USB 2.0 would be painfully slow lol

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when was that docking station manufactured as connectland.eu does not list it so maybe predates 6tb drives?

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would wager it does predate 6TB. However, I would doubt that each new hard drive revision(Size), needs unique code. Now, problems PERHAPS could arise down the road as drives get super large. Problems that were not anticipated. For example a petabyte drive, might require updated coding. Though the theoretical limit for GPT is 16 exabytes.

6. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I just remembered that After Dawn existed... lol. I was on the site back in 2006 and practically lived here. Sam was my master and I think I learned more here about computers than anywhere else.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and it's honestly amazing that we have somewhat managed to keep threads about PC building alive for over 12 years. Pretty insane honestly and great to look back on.

I remember when graphics cards were rated against one statement: "Can it run Crysis?"

Good times.

7. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

It seems to me, He_Man, that if you're going to talk about Crysis, you should be posting on the Official Graphics Card and PC Gaming Thread that Abuzar started in 2008. LOL
    https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/the-official-graphics-card-and-pc-gaming-thread.647383/page-497

I'll probably post there soon, as I just came upon a gaming issue with my overclocked crossfire 7950s on Dishonored 2. The main game, Dishonored 2 - a brilliant game in many respects, does support crossfire, after I upgraded to the latest drivers, and w7 service pack 1. It was an outstanding game - almost as good as the original, which, I should mention, also had two DLCs that were just as excellent.

But imagine my surprise last week when I started to run the Dishonored 2 DLC, "Death of the Outsider" and after wasting a good day on upgrading drivers again, and trying to get crossfire working, I finally came to the realization - as confirmed on at least one thread - that they did not enable crossfire for the DLC.

That's right - crossfire support is featured on the main game, but NOT on the DLC.

Wuuuut? It's a standalone DLC - meaning sort of more than a DLC, but less than a full Dishonored 3 - but still why would they drop off crossfire support???

The reviews are great.

I haven't yet gotten into it yet, beyond the first 30 seconds. Of course now I realize I'll be limping along on one card.

But I should mentione - THIS IS THE CARD THAT DID SUPPORT CRYSIS.

In fact, He_Man, I had purchased but put away all the crysis titles until I got that card, then I happily stormed through all of them during my card testing.

I bought one 3-gig HIS 7950, overclocked it to match 7970, and used the crysis titles to test the card - it has a huge turbine that actually takes 2 1/2 slots, and yes, I could put two of them on my evga 9450 motherboard, except that the turbine on the bottom card extended about a quarter-inch beyond the bottom of the beautiful black Sonata mid-tower case.

So during the 30-day Newegg RMA return time-limit, I tested two other models of 7950 that did not have that exact same bulky turbine, but none of them seemed to match the HIS in terms of performance and lack of on-screen "glittering." I paid a re-stocking fee one one, and the other I was able to RMA back.

Finally I decided to just purchase a second HIS.

Rather than cut a hole in the bottom of the Sonata, which I seriously considered doing, I finally remembered that 4 years earlier I had bought a $400 spedo thermaltake full-tower case that had been sitting in the garage all this time. I have a total of about 10 fans in that case, most of them 140mm, one 200mm ceiling exhaust fan, 6 intake fans including bottom intake, 2 side and 3 front intakes - fans all over the place. So that was my case upgrade, probably equivalent to the HAF cases that everybody else has - and I do have two top-front USB ports in addition to an esata port which has come in handy.

(I did not need crossfire for any of the earlier Crysis titles. I DID however use crossfire on that last Crysis title - the one with the crossbow that worked in cloaked mode. Crysis 3 received a lot of negative press, but I liked it quite a bit - the water reflections were amazing - I posted lots of screenshots over on the graphics thread.)

So on this Dishonored 2 DLC, Death of the Outsider, I'll probably be working with fps in the low 20s, or maybe even down to the high teens - I'll see how that works on my 2560x1600 Dell 30" native resolution. The game started me out on a lower resolution, but experience shows that I will get the best graphics in native resolution, even if I have to ease off some of the advanced settings.

As I say, I started the game and I'm alone on the whaling ship, with beautiful graphics and frames in the low 20s - which is fine for me - but by the time I get into serious combat with multiple assailants, I may have to make some extreme compromises to run on just the one card.

====================================

I went back a page on this thread, and I read ddp's crappy comments - lol - and Kevin's brilliant retort. And I read about Kevin's monster hdd - 10 terrabytes! Kevin - out there on the bleeding edge where Sam used to like to be!

And I read Sam and Jeff's analysis of Intel's cpu progress, or lack thereof. What I gleaned is that Haswell might be my best near-term cpu upgrade - but I have no plans to do anything anytime soon - I still have 100 user-created missions of Arma3 to play - and I still keep Steam from upgrading me past the last 2015 upgrade when I lost all my save-game settings and most of the user-developed scenarios I had already downloaded by then.

Periodically I go into the Arma3 downloading folder and delete everything, and in steam download manager I try to keep two COD titles, which each need about 30 gigs of updates, in front of Arma3 to protect my 2015 Arma3.

While steam won't launch the game directly - I have to use a game shortcut - luckily steam hasn't decided that the game is unplayable without those upgrades or I don't know what my workaround would have to be. There are other games where the shortcut method won't work. And I keep steam in off-line mode, and for further safety I physically disconnect my ethernet internet connection.

=============================================

What do you guys think of the new issue with Intel vulnerability regarding potentially exposing hackers to knowledge of the information contained in the kernel - the object of furious software patching by Microsoft and everybody else - except maybe AMD where it seems like it is less of an issue.

I was reading The Register yesterday - and I enjoyed the photos of the perfect landing of the two Falcon orbiters, and of Musk's cherry-red car complete with driver which is now orbiting the planet.

Well, I'm off and back to the official graphics card thread where it is lonely indeed, but I know that one day one of you guys will post again. hahaha

Rich

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I really need threadripper and the platform to come down in price. I wonder how ~Aprils offerings will impact pricing. Supposedly, that's when new revisions will release.
    1090t is starting to show it's age lol
    I recently ran a test file 4k HEVC mkv, and my guess is since the GTX 570 has no native support, the CPU took on the whole decoding process. Suffice to say, it nearly maxed out. Lite stuttering in my opinion makes it unwatchable.

If I'm to enjoy 4K on my PC, a new monitor, GPU, Board, Memory etc... etc...
    Unreal that what I currently own didn't cost me nearly as much when they were nearly state of the art. Gotta love inflation... :(:mad:

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Omega, my 1070 runs HEVC/X265 flawlessly for the record. My Phenom II setup never had an issue with it with the GTX970 either. Just saying, the CPU should be adequate if the video card supports it.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ouch...
    Both 970 and 1070 are expensive lol
    The 570 ran me less than $350 when I bought it.
    I guess I'm growing impatient. Saving for a house, sitting on substantial funds, and have an upgrade itch from hell ;)
    Most of my components are ~2010.
    While those new cards may be compatible with my board, I get the feeling they'd be bottlenecked by an old PCI revision.
    790XTA-UD4 AM3
    Damn... older than 8yrs :eek:

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Any 9 series has software rendering support for HEVC and any 10 series has full hardware CUVID support. The GeForce 1050Ti is reasonably priced and stomps your 570 easily. GeForce 9 was a gigantic leap in efficiency so 9 and 10 are a huge performance jump over previous series'. The 1050Ti is capable of maxing most games at 1080p and will do 4K video with ease.

PCI-E bandwidth shouldn't be a major issue. You have PCI-E 2.0 which is plenty for most PCI-E 3.0 cards as long as you can use a dedicated 16x slot. Only having 8x or PCI-E 1.0 on the other hand would be a notable limit. As long as everything works, your CPU is enough to push a much better video card. My 970 was fine on Phenom II and is fine with my Q9650, so just about anything anywhere near that card would be reasonable. A 1050Ti or similar easily. Or something a little older like a GTX960. Even neater, the GTX950 is actually the first GeForce 10 GPU and has HEVC hardware support.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for your input! Definitely keep it in mind. Much appreciated!
    You're right, the 1050ti is reasonably priced. And has nearly 4 times the Ram, which I could use in GTA 5

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've been sitting on a few PC cases for some time now. I recently went to the scrap yard, and recycled a bunch of steel. Decided I couldn't scrap this one or a few others just yet. But here's the catch. This one apparently is missing it's motherboard tray. Where and/or how would I find a match for it? There doesn't appear to be a model anywhere on it.
    Not really for myself. Frankly, It's not large enough lol Perhaps for a secondary, I could find a use. But I'd prefer play with its design, if I can find a motherboard tray. The fan on top is quite small for a top vent. Including the side. Actually they all appear to be 80mm. A bit small for my liking.
    But I wouldn't mind painting it, and stepping up the airflow.

Should I consider it a lost cause? What would you do?
    7.75" inches wide, 19" inches depth, 17" inches high.

Edit: Timestamp bump lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 17:58