1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Players, The Recorders, The Discs and The Films

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Nicklt, Jan 23, 2006.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

The DVD-HD buyers arent going to be happy about this!!

2. willnewbe

willnewbe Member

The battle may be over for HD DVD v. BluRay but neither will win the war in the end-there isn't a chance in hell that I intend to buy more than approximately 50 titles (only about 35 left to buy,in HD-either in HD DVD or BluRay as I have both players-actually 3 Xbox HD DVD's & 1 BluRay burner-total cost of all 4 was still less than the $850.00 I paid for the last format change to laser disk-at least after paying $850.00 for a stupid laser disc player I couldn't afford to spend more money on movies so I rented laser discs at the same price as VHS & Beta and actually missed the last format change entirely.

Upconversion to 1080i & 1080p of standard DVD is satisfactory for my purposes & I do acknowledge the difference in quality-but I really don't care & the majority of consumers couldn't give a rat's --- as well!

In fact, I recently took the time to catalog my collection of DVD's and realized that I had over 40 that I have never, ever watched at all.

Also, the fact is that:

"High-definition video discs accounted for $300 million of 2007's $23.7 billion home video market."

It is acknowledged as well that:

"In its first two years, high-def players are outselling the DVD player in its first two years."

It is important to note that this $300 million spent on HD in either format only represents 1.27% of the total home video market.

Still a long way to go!

Likely we'll be discussing the next format change by the time this war is finally won.

I have a good friend who asked what he should buy as his existing DVD player died-I advised him to buy BluRay a day after the Warner announcement-he paid over $450.00 for it-he's really enjoying the upconversion of his 100 Standard DVD's & has watched his 1 BluRay movie at least 10x. Three days after I told him to buy BluRay I bought another Xbox HD DVD (pristine shape) & 9 movies (pristine)for $138.00. After-all quality wise BluRay & HD DVD are pretty much the same.

I will probably buy another Toshiba for the 7 free HD movies and for upconversion purposes.

I have no intention of purchasing a 1080p version of the 350+ movies that I already own-not with upconversion. In fact since the New Year I have purchased over 60 new DVD's at great prices.

BluRay &/or HD DVD has to kill standard definition DVD's to actually win the war and I don't see that happening anytime soon!

Let the battles continue forever so the prices of both the movies & the players continue to drop in price.

There are actually only 15 titles on the BluRay list in this thread that I would buy in HD plus some new releases-1 of which is not 310 to Yuma which I am frankly sick of watching at my friends house.
    When the price is the same as standard DVD I will buy them.

After all there are only so many movies that you ever want to watch more than once anyway.
    willnewbe

3. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

Can one of you Senior Members delete that last guy's post? It's nice and all, but seeing as it doesn't belong, it is SPAM!

HD-DVD not DVD-HD - but who really cares anymore

1080p is all we got for now, but the cool part is that the HDMI specs allow for a much higher resolution. Don't be surprised as TVs with even higher res start coming out in the years to come - no DVD will be able to keep up then. Another thing that people keep forgetting is the sound - 7.1 is cool and all, but even BD's 5.1 sound quality is significantly better than DVD's. Also, 3D is around the corner. The sooner we buy into Blu-ray, the sooner the prices will come down for all.

If you got the $$$, support the format, and if you don't why down it? Enjoy your cheap DVDs and stay in your caves. That was kinda harsh, and for the record I would technically still be living in a cave as well (lack of $$$ myself). Although, I do work in the Blu-ray industry so don't let my lack of ownership fool you.

4. newyear

newyear Guest

Yea , this is great

5. RKosmayer

RKosmayer Guest

This is an awsome post I would like to thank all of you for the usefull information!!

6. kamya

kamya Guest

edit - Afterdawn doesn't support html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  7. kamya

kamya Guest

removed by binkie7

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  8. Nicklt

Nicklt Regular member

can someone remove kamyas stupidity please.

9. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

Seriously. Admins, please clean up the spam or you won't be seeing the likes of me here again.

On a side note, blu-ray rocks.

10. karl1974

karl1974 Member

Looking for some info , i have a sony bdp s300 and it seems to be stcuk in standby mode . When i power up all i get is the blue light across the front of the player and thats it nothing happens (even when i all buttons on remote and player). Any help would be great.

11. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

It takes a couple minutes to power up at which point it should display "NO DISC". At this point you should be able to eject the tray.

Try powering it on via the eject button. Also, try unplugging from the wall for a minute or so -if nothing else. I usually recommend the firmware upgrade, but your problem seems more of a fundamental hardware problem than a compatibility issue, and if you can't even get the thing to open, what good would an upgrade disc be?

Good luck, let me know how you end up resolving this -you bought a good player that will be supported for many years. Sony should have your back no matter the outcome.

12. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I,ve searched the web for information on a Blu-Ray release of the film Hackers from 1995, cannot find anything at all.
    I have the vhs version and converted it to dvd but it looks awful.
    Anyone have any info as to if its coming out on BD?

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Nothing in the works yet.

14. fileshare

fileshare Guest

Sorry
    I am really very sorry for that.
    I do not understand the hype of HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

15. fanscape1

fanscape1 Member

FINALLY. Transformers will be out on BD on September 2nd! It is the ultimate action movie to watch in high-def.

Some of the features you will be able to download with BD-Live!

Here is a link to more info Transformers Blu-ray!

Martin with TF

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  16. Sudds

Sudds Active member

About time... Waiting for this BD release.

17. akash2008

akash2008 Member

several leading consumer electronics companies (including Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  18. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Akash, I would remove those advertisements from your nick... It's against forum rules...

19. harie11

harie11 Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  20. webvid123

webvid123 Guest

hi there, I'm Tracy Jane.. a movie and Tv Series lover... as a marketer, it is part of my dailiiy routine to dwell on daily stress, but fortunately, i have m defense against it...and that is watching spectacular movie and fantastic Tv series