1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the sad state of Afterdawn

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by phillyj, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillyj

phillyj Member

i have been a member for afterdawn for some time now. in the past i used to spend much more time on it even tho i'm not much of a forum user. recently i been having problems with my dvd drive and i asked for help here. but not a single person answered me evben after i posted alot of info.many years ago, you could get an answer, even though it might take a little while. maybe there are too many members on afterdawn. i don kno but it doesnt seem to be a helpful site anymore when it comes to asking questions on the forum. the tutorials and news and program reviews are awesome tho. and why doesn afterdawn show how many people have view a certain topic; it would make me feel better if i knew peole were reading but had no answer.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

[rant on]Oh god, not another one...
    "no one helps me with my problem, wha wha"
    Guess what, maybe either no one knows the answer, or just maybe it's one of those problems that has been posted a million times before and people where sick and tired of answering the same redundant question over and over again.
    Deal with it.

"i cant update the drive becaue i cant burn and i don have a floppy drive"
    How hard is it to figure out that maybe you should ask one of your friends to burn the update disc for you then ?
    Or borrow a usb floppy drive?

The only sad thing about the state of afterdawn is that people keep coming here thinking the world revolves around them, and then get pissy when they don't get their answers.
    Well guess what, this is a forum, not a f****ng helpdesk, no one has to help you, people here sacrifice their free time to help people out, and it's whiny ingrates like you that make people want to think twice about helping others out.
    [rant off]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@phillyj...I'm certainly not the one to answer your question(s) but you should go back and at least insert a link to the original question. I answer those questions about which I'm knowledgable in the forums I haunt, but I certain don't stop to write "I don't know" to the ones I can't answer.

If anything, I've run into the opposite problem in the home theater related forums ... people answering who don't know crap on the subject.

Anyway, post a link to your question because a complaint won't get you an answer. Maybe no one knew the answer. Maybe you could have chosen a better forum. Maybe, like me sometimes, people left the question for someone else because they didn't have the time to answer and no one answered at all.

I know where the fiend is coming from in his response, but, I too have had good questions gone unanswered. It happens.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  5. ireland

ireland Active member

Maybe its time some one helps him......
    my 2-cents

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I've read through and there's nothing I can suggest that would be of any value so...

7. emachine

emachine Guest

Well speaking of the sad state of after dawn. I know what you mean... I think if the forums were changed it would help a lot. Since there is way to many post in the PSP forum why don't we split that up like the xbox one? The same for the 360. That way if you don't want to talk about mods. Go to the game room or vice-versa. Then some of the forums were no one ever posts. Get rid of. I know I know your going to flame me. Because you all hate the console forums. Why do you? They bring traffic to the site and members that are useful for other things also.

8. phillyj

phillyj Member

i guess i jus got a little mad. its ok tho. i found a bunch of thread relating to my drive but they didn have these wierd problems like taking too long to load. i found out that lg makes bad drives. i will say that this forum is extremely huge. there are so many topic forums that by the time i finish looking over where i should post, i wasted about 5 to 10 minutes already. thats a pain. why have a section on discussing cd burnig and another on the meadia itself. that doesnt make sense to me. there are some others like that. maybe i should join a smaller forum also.

9. phillyj

phillyj Member

theres alos one more thing i dont get. someone said that people dont want to say they have no clue about the problem and yet they chose to reply to this topic about me not getting replys for my hardware problem. i dont get. so you can take time to tell me to shut up and get used to it but not tell me that you dont know or something like that. as i said before, if i knew people visited the thread (by putting a counter next to the tread like on other forums), then maybe i wouldnt care as much. but the fact is, as far as i can tell no one tried to help. after all, isnt the purpose of the forum to help, educate, and learn from others? i sure am gonna get flamed for this, but in my opinion this is the truth.

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If people would leave replies like "sorry, can't help you with that" they would get reprimanded for making pointless posts.
    Guess you never took the time to read the forum rules either.

As for those counters, don't count on it being implied anytime soon, unless you plan on paying for extra hosting and extra servers to take the load...

Also, it seems a LOT of things don't make sense to you, now do they ?
    Why we have seperate forums for everything ?
    Maybe because it makes it easier for people with SPECIFIC PROBLEMS.
    If you don't see the logic in that, i'd say you have no sense of it.
    Also, why do you think we have a forum search?
    That's right, to HELP PEOPLE FIND THE RIGHT FORUMS.

11. antomic

antomic Regular member

Phillyj, I think you were wrongly flamed and deserve an apology for it in my opinion. Your supposed to ask questions on the site. Your probably right. There may be a better site. This one has gotten quite big.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  12. phillyj

phillyj Member

i had expected to get flamed so i knew what i was in for, at least i kno there are still nice guys around. thatnk you for the support. this is the first time i complained and insted of bashing, the top guys should address some of the concerns. i don have any now but there are people who might. afterdawn is such a great forum but never forget that the original purpose was to help. why else write up those wonderful tutorials. if complaining is gonna get you in trouble, then i'll stop. i bet theres a bunch of us whiners. o well. lifes life. you don always get what you want.

13. emachine

emachine Guest

Oh snap I like this auto quoter!!!! But yeah what do you guys think about mixing up the forums a little bit.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

15. emachine

emachine Guest

No i think there is to many for some things, and not enough for others. I.E. media and cd burning. Just make that one thread. Since the console forums get the most posts. Give them more forums to find stuff easier.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

media forums are infinitely more important than console forums though

17. ireland

ireland Active member

my take on the Consoles boards,it sure is a lot of threads and posts..
    and it sure brings in a ton of new members..
    the advertiser's on this site sure love's that..

just one board
    PS2 - General discussion
    Posts 122297
    Threads 18065

18. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I disagree. I would rather see threads for every make of media available than more console threads.

19. ireland

ireland Active member

creaky i do agree with you,as this site took off when 321-studios came on board.. people from all over the world came here..when 321-studios was in operation..321-studios put this site on the world map..

those members that joined the dvdxcopy site,later on came over here
    to get help with other problems..

i my self sent 1000's of members to afterdawn through 5 web sites i belong to..

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  20. emachine

emachine Guest

How do you measure importance? What once was or what now is? The 1 console board is practically more post and threads than the whole site put together!! I'm not saying get rid of the media threads. Just sorta have less. And more where the traffic is. If something happens and the consoles are not bringing enough people/enough posts to have more boards, then just change back. Its not like once you change its permanent or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.