1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worst rock/pop band ever.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Deeman, Jul 16, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I do like blues, but that's a new one on me. Old or new?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They've been around since 1969, I used to watch them practice when I was just getting started.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Jane's Addiction :)

4. Nephilim

Smoooooth stuff there, my friend :)

Jimmy Cliff?

Simon and Garfunkel?

Billy Bragg?

The Police?

Boomtown Rats?

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

AHA!-(already mentioned Boomtown Rats-"I don't like Mondays")LOL

I loved the Police, I wish Sting hadn't left and gone out on his own.

I had forgotten about Jimmy Cliff too.

Love Jane's addiction!

Are you doing like me and sifting thru your collection my friend? If so, then you have a very nice one indeed!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  6. Nephilim

Yes, I'm sifting through the collection as well :)

What about The Chameleons U.K.? Considering your musical tastes I'll go out on a limb and say it would be well worth your while to check out their album "Strangetimes" for starters. It's one the most beautiful, powerful and well done pieces I've ever heard. Example: My truck's A/C took a dump so this summer I get to tool around in the 115ยบ heat with no A/C. Bearing that in mind there are two particular tracks off Strangetimes that still give me the chills when I hear them even though I'm roasting in my truck. All their work is exceptional. pm me if you're interested in them :)

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

How about Neil Young and Crazy Horse? Live Rust and Weld are 2 of the best live albums ever IMO.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Vurbal

I love Neil Young's music, I've have all of his albums. Got some DVD's with him in concert as well.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

For those of you who want to finding or trading bootlegs (legally), you might want to check out Bootleg Archive (http://www.bootlegarchive.com/). In order to use the service you have to run their frontend, which limits the bands that you can search for to the ones who have specifically given them permission to be traded through their service, so it's 100% legal. You can find a list of bands available at http://www.bootlegarchive.com/allbands.asp

Interestingly, there seem to be several bands that allow trading of their shows even though they haven't actually given anyone permission to record them. I suppose they figure that the shows are going to get recorded anyway and they'd rather have people trading them instead of buying bootlegs.

10. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

I was waiting for someone to say Neil Young, I cant even remember how many times i've seen him solo, with crazy horse, and with other artists. One of, if not the best artists of all time. simply for the fact that he does what HE wants to do. The guy was actually sued by his label one time for being "uncharacteristic of Neil young"! But the album with the blue notes still got released, not one of his best works, but the point remains the same.
    Anyone truly interested in discussing music and/or trading bootlegs (legal), just come to our IRC channel.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    http://www.BillLonero.com - check out bill, he rocks and he's way cool.
    irc.addictz.net #ad_buddies
    IRC guide - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47221

***Hey, Let's try that "search" function!!*[/small]

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse many moon ago, and it was great! It was in a small college in Southwest Va. and he did a 30 minute rendition of "Hurricane" that was fantastico!

Speaking of the older genre, I just listened to Procol Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale" last night, what a song! Anne Lenox, another one no one has mentioned, did a great rendition of that song!

Hey vurbal, speaking of bootlegs, you don't know where I could get The Drones on CD, do ya? My album of them has seen better days, sadly.

BTW, has anyone mentioned the Foo Fighters?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

12. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Nobody's mentioned Marillion yet, Fish was a brilliant lyrysist....lirrisit...lisserist...songwriter.
    I too love all the Irish bands U2, Simple Minds, Cranberries, and the Corrs (Mama Mia...Bella Donnas all round).
    Some excellent Welsh bands as well, Catatonia, Manic Street Preachers and of course the king of them all, TOM JONES.

13. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i love tom jones doing burning down the house with the cardigan chic. good stuff

14. Nephilim

The Jazz Butcher.

Pat Fish is a genius. What sucks is the sorry sack of shit record label that owns his music won't print it and won't sell it to him either so a lot of the classic Jazz Butcher albums can't hardly be found anymore.

15. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Ramones, MC5, The Saints, Eater, The Vibrators, The Clash, The Rezillos, The Cramps, Blondie, Toy Dolls, The Dickies, Anti Nowhere League, Cock Sparrer, Vice Squad, Iggy, Dead Boys, The Boys, The Lurkers, 999, GBH, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, The Meteors, Demented Are Go, SLF, The Jam, 4-Skins, The Exploited, Boomtown Rats, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes, Rancid, Transplants, Horrorpops, The Distillers, King Kurt, The Addicts, The Specials, Madness, Dropkick Murphys, Argy Bargy, Youth Brigade, Bauhaus, The Cult, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Alien Sex Fiend, Major Accident, Section 5, Last Resort, The Only Ones, Theatre of Hate, Chron Gen, NOFX.

That's enough for now, me fingers are bleeding.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

safc, your list looks a whole lot like mine, here's some from some previous posts of mine:

Sisters of Mercy? That was a hard driving band!

But my favorite is the Clash! Man, back then England had all the best bands, The Boys, The Jam, Sex Pistols, and before that The Who and The Stones

do you remember a little band called The Dead Boys? How about Eddie and the Hot Rods, the Cure?

I can't walk away. How about the Vibrators, the Dictators, old Blondie, Chris Spedding(Hurt by Love), The Saints, Eater, Smashing Pumpkins, Jim Carroll(People Who Died), Stiff Little Fingers, Graham Parker and the Rumor, Pearl Jam, Charlatans UK, Del Lords, and last but not least, Cracker(not to be confused with Uncle Cracker

Dead Kennedys,Bad Brains, Milkmen, Butthole Surfers- oh yeah!

How about-The Drones? What a band, they were about 14-16 when they cut their 1st record. Then ya got the Adverts(no time to be 21), the Nails with

"Cops are punks, they have their gun, they shoot to kill, I wish that I were one"

then the Spitfire Boys, Laughing Dogs, Willie "Loco" Alexander and the Boom Boom Band(doing "you've lost that Lovin' Feeling" by the Rightous Bros.), Mink Deville with "Cadillac Walk", The Real Kids, Susan, Radio Stars, Jill Reed(what a songbird doing "Maybe"!),Little Hitlers, Flaming Groovies, Chelsea(one of my all time favorites), the Weirdos, Count Bishops, Did I mention the Saints-Know your Product", and No, your product",Ducks Deluxe, Battered Wives, Patti Smith, The Stranglers-"No More Heroes", Magazine, Boomtown Rats(I don't like Mondays), Sham 69,X-ray Spec, Plastic Bertrand(a french punk band, all the lyrics were in french on the album), Roxy Music with Brian Ferry, the Replacements, Dumptruck, and finally 999-I know we mentioned them once, but they're just so damn good!

yeah, I went to the collection and looked up a few,LOL

What da ya think? Pretty close, I'd say. Remember the Dead Boys singing "Everybody Knows ya been caught with the Meat in Your Mouth"?

17. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Forgot The Buzzcocks.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

safc, an earlier post-

"Siouxsie and the Banshees, that brings back memories, along with 999, Buzzcocks with Pete Shelley, the Ramones, the Connells, Squeeze, God I could go on forever"

I just love those guys(Buzzcocks), I liked Pete's solo stuff too.