1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Resolution Issues

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by GIJohn, Aug 22, 2004.

1. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

Ok, I am trying to convert a Divx 3 movie (Blow) into a m2v file. However, this video has a strange resolution, 624 x 272 (2.29:1). No matter what resolution settings I try, I can't get the output video to match the source (even using 1:1.)I use the clip source preview to check how my output video will look and it is always stretched.

But the fun isn't over. When I try to encode , it encodes a vertically stretched image. Im talking like widescreen, but instead of wide horizontally, its wide vertically, with a squished image in the center, that is upright.

I already saw the thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/97347 , so it's not like that. I have never had any problems like this until now and I am very capable of fixing res. problems, but nothing like this.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are you encodeing this File to Mpeg2 for NTSC DVD???

If so then this is what you have to do...
    Go into the Tmpgenc settings under the Video settings s and set the resolution to the regular DVD resolution of 720+480...
    Now go into the "Advanced" settings under "Video Arrange Method" set it to "Center(Custom Size)" and then set the custom size to "720+320" and that is it...
    Now when you encode the Movie the Output will not look stretched or Squished but there will be Black Borders on the Top and Bottom like a wide screen Movie has, There is no way to do it without the Black borders....

What you have to do is convert the source Resolution/Aspect ratio to the correct 4:3 aspect with a Resolution closest to the Target DVD Resolution...You can use an aspect ratio calculator for this or do the math....

Let me know how it turns out....Cheers

3. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

It worked like a charm!! I had never thought to center and then blow it up so it wouldn't have the borders on all sides. It looks great. Thanks a ton

4. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

A Follow-up to this thread:

Minion, how were you able to figure out how to get that figure for the resolution? I have tried to figure out a way by using an aspect ratio calculator and cant figure out how any of them work!

Also, I was wondering if you know of a good calculator that is easy to use, I found the "1-4a Ratio Calculator" from Google and just can't seem to understand how it works.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the One i use is sort of a Big program to install Just for it"s Aspect ratio/Resolution calculator...
    What I use is "Gordain Knot" which has a small part of it"s Interface for calculating Resolutions but Gordain Knot installs a Lot more than Just that....

Cheers

6. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

Oh yes I know quite a bit about G-Knot... Tops in my book. I do all of my encoding down to divx with it. I had tried using the resolution screen to try to calculate it but couldn't get it to work right. I kept getting a weird res. (720 x 195 or something like that)

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you do is on the Left side were it says "Input Resolution" click on "Other" and Put in the Resolution of your AVI file...
    And next to that were it says "Input Pixel Aspect ratio" you select "1:1", Then moove the "Output Resolution" Slider up to the Closest resolution to your Target resolution and then you should have the Correct resolution to resize your AVI file to DVD...

I hope this Helps??....Cheers

8. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

fixed it. Auto Smart Crop was on.. dont need that for what I need.

BTW, I did my own calculations and figured out that G-Knot isn't very good at figuring out good aspect ratios. The original aspect ration of the avi was 2.29. GKnot gave me one that was 2.25..

Close, but I get anal about stretched heads and the like. Kind of a pet peeve. But thanks a ton, it helped me to figure out how to calculate on my own...