1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Convert AVI to DVD with Nero Vision 4 (basic guide)

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by alkohol, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin16v

martin16v Member

thanks for the feed back but after one hour into the conversion system locked up.................three attempts and three lock ups later i through the towel in.
    to get the job done and backed up i used Canopus ProCoder 2. excellent picture but the audio seems quieter than the original.

2. bojan28

bojan28 Member

I started a new thread but i will ask for help for my problem here also.when i start nero vision on nero smart menu i am getting error:
    Unable to load licensing subsystem
    is there any solution for this problem?
    reinstall is not helping
    thanx in advance

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@bojan28

I can't comment in regards to the error you're having simply because that never happened to me before. I could only suggest you get Nero's Clean Tool to completely clean out Nero from your system, then go to "regedit" and delete every Nero files/programs. Now try to reinstall Nero again to see if your problem is solved.

Good luck!!

4. loveya

loveya Guest

@alkohol

First of all, great job! You know, you are a genius. Helping everybody all ;) Keep up the good work.

Ok, now I have a itsy bitsy question that need your help with....
    Here goes...I just burned tons of DVD-9 to DVD-5 disc using NERO Recode with like no visible loss of quality (I'm very impressed with the advice you gave me last time) . First, how come the disc freezes a few times when I was watching it? (Is it maybe caused by my kids running in the same room making bunbing into the comp. and everything?) Secondly, after recoding and burning, the menu ends up being after the main movie and not before it. That just made me mad because I'd used all that space for the menu and it's for nothing.

Thanks in advance,
    Loveya

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@loveya

There could be a few other things that can cause your backup(s) to pause or have a few glitches like new protections, poor media, burning too fast, firmware needs updates, etc. Yes, "Wedding Crashers, The Cave, The Fog, Dark Water, Legend Of Zorro, Red Eye, Brothers Grimms, The Great Raid, Madagascar, Sky High, etc." all of them has the latest ARccOS and RipGuard protections, so you'll need a free tool like VobBLanker 2.1.0.0 to PROCESS and filter out those craps, junks, dummy cells, or fake pgcs/sectors in order to have a successful backup.

First of all, what kind of blank media did you used? And did you customize the size to at least 4360MB or 4400MB? I need to know what kind of burner you have and is the firmware up-to-date? Let me know, so I can refer you to the right firmware that's available for your drive. Firmware plays a big role when it comes to dvd burnings, it helps to enhnances the burning performances and media compatibility.

Secondly, are you multi-tasking while burning (i.e. surfing the net, having a lot of programs running in the background)? I recommend you not to surf the net, if you can disconnect from the internet and shutdown as many programs as possible. Or if you can, then release more memory ram by disabling/shuting down other unnecessary running programs as well.

Can you at least post your Nero burning log, so I can take a closer look at it? If you're using Nero 6 Ultra, go here: C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\Nero History, if it's Nero 7 Ultra, then go here: C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core\Nero History -- then get your nero log, but REMEMBER to EDIT out your Nero serial before you're going to post back here.

6. Donna1973

Donna1973 Member

Hi there, I am having trouble as well burning AVI files, got the pic no probs, but the sound is a little slower than the pic, using Nero 7 tried doing as was mentioned earlier, still no joy

7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Did you tried to run your AVI files through k-lite codec pack in prior to start your project with Nero Vision?

8. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

That is a great tutorial, I have printed it out for future use but have run into some problems, I followed the instructions to the letter but I am not seeing some of the options that's listed in the tutorial. I have Nero6 "Ultra" version. So I chose to burn to the HD as Alkohol recommends but using Nerovision Express 3, I don't see:
    1] The Video Format option in the Video Options window, all that is there is the "Audio" Format which is already set to "Automatic".

2] In the Choose Recorder window, under Options, there isn't any "Book Type Settings" under the Power Burn, eberything else is there except for the booktyping thing.

So now, I go and open Nero Burning Rom to burn the now converted AVI file, when I click on Open, I am directed to a Folder named "Video_TS" and in there I see 6 files,
    vts_01_1 [DVD movie]
    vts_01_0 [DVD Movie info]
    vts_01_0 [Back up file of the IFO]
    VIDEO_TS [DVD movie]
    VIDEO_TS [DVD movie]
    VIDEO_TS [Back up file of the IFO]

I then try to import either of the 2 files that reads DVD Movie but I get an error message that reads "Unexpected File Format". Can anyone address these for me please? Thanks.

9. Donna1973

Donna1973 Member

hi there, thanks I will try that now

10. Donna1973

Donna1973 Member

is that by using the nero recode

11. Donna1973

Donna1973 Member

Still not worked, what else can I do

12. loveya

loveya Guest

@alkohol

Hey alk, sorry for such a late reply.
    First, I compressed the DVD-9 copy-protected disc using Nero Recode with the help of AnyDVD(trial) of course. I did not customized the disc size so instead I clicked "Fit to Target: DVD-5 [4.7 GB]." After recoding, I created an image onto the HD. Then I let my PC cooled down for 2 hrs. I then burned The image using Nero Burning Rom at 4x onto Verbatim disc. I have an HP Pavilion a1210n so I can't figure out what burner I have, but according to Nero InfoTool, I have a "HP
    DVD Writer 740b" with Firmware Ver: ED24. I also have another DVD drive(Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502 with Firmware Ver: 1816) installed but it only reads. You can't have 2 drive cause one need to be MASTER and one need to be SLAVE right?

Anyway, when burning, I do not muli-tasking. Out of 750MB of RAM, 200MB are usually avaiable. I quess there are a lot of programs running in the background. I'll try to disable some programs to gain more RAM.

Sorry, I do not have those burning logs available; I usually delete them after a successful burn.

I was just wondering, how come my menu is after the main movie and not before it. I use Recode and keep everything the same.

Thank you for your effort,
    Loveya

Almost forgot, @Donna 1973, did you use a converting program (ect. River Past Video Cleaner)? I tried to convert from VOB to MPEG 2 once and had the same exact problem as your.

Loveya

13. JuanHino

JuanHino Member

I'm trying to burn some episodes of Bleach which are in AVI from with a res of 640x480. Everything seems to be working fine but when I watch them on my TV the edges of the video are cut off which makes it diffecult to see the sub titles.

If I burn it at 16:9 it works but then I have black bars on all 4 sides of the video and that also makes the subs alittle to small to read.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Also everything shows up when I watch it on my PC.

14. pooman

pooman Member

15. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Donna

Seriously, I don't know what else to suggest. If you already had K-lite codec tweak and or ran your AVI through K-lite, then I'm as clueless as you are. Your best bet is to seek more helps via Nero Support.

Good luck!!

@mikehende

What version is your Nero 6 Ultra? Is it the latest? You have to click on MORE, then follow the picture(s) via the guide.

In order to get/successfully changed the "book type settings" via Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express, your dvd burner has to support "book type or bitsettings". What brand/model is your dvd burner by chance? Have you updateb your firmware to the latest lately?

You can't just go to Nero Burning Rom and burn your AVI, it has to convert and transcode into dvd format first (VIDEO_TS), then go from there.

Good luck... let me know how it goes and or what else you need.

@loveya

It's good, you created the VIDEO_TS into your hard drive. I strongly recommend this instead of burning directly to your burner because you can't really contro the burning speeds via this process. With that being said, if you choose your final VIDEO_TS file of your AVI projects to your hard drive and burn with Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express, then you can control/adjust the burning speed to your desire.

I'm at work and can't do much, but I'll keep an eye on your issue. About the choppy pictures, I think it may be the media or it's too close to the edge and or burning too fast, plus multi-tasking, etc.

Yes, I recommend you "customize" your size to 4400MB, this should be fine with any high quality media i.e. Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell (made in japan by Hitachi).

Good luck!!

@Juan

Try other different aspect ratio(s) to see if you'll get any better results. Or tweak through your dvd player and tv for the settings (i.e. widescreen, full screen, normal, etc.) Let me know how it goes.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  16. trapjaw76

trapjaw76 Member

I made it all the way through the steps, and I opted to burn straight to disk. The burn was successful, and I'm using DVD-R's, but it only plays on one of my dvd players. The other won't accept it. That particular player I know accepts those disks, since anything I rip with DVD Shrink plays on that player. I'm very, very new to Nero, and I'm not sure of the process to take the files you write to hard disk and burn them onto a DVD. Any help is appreciated.

17. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

@Alkohol, appreciate the response. My version is 6.6.1.4 which is the latest or current version of Nero Ultra. My burner is Sony DW-Q30A and as far as I know there isn't an upgrade for the firmware and since I can't get any support or manual for this burner, I don't know if it supports Booktyping. I bought this burner new off of an internet seller on Ebay and I can't get the name of the manufacturer either from him or Sony so I'm stuck with what I have.

I have made some progress since my last post to you, I now capture the video to my HD using the "DVD" option instead of mpeg-2 or AVI and this burns and shows/plays perfect on any of my standalones. I am burning with VisionExpress 3 though since I don't have the Booktyping options in Burning Rom, I didn't see any need to use it. So this is where I'm at, I still would like to have the Booktyping options and use Burning Rom as per your instructions instead of Express if possible, so if there's anything you can suggest to make this possible, please advise, thanks.

18. mburke300

mburke300 Member

Alkohol,

Kudos on the amazing guide. It has helped me immensely. I do have a question however. I am a bit of a newbie so bare with me. I download the 1.37 avi files that come in the two cd format. I do this because the quality is twice that of the 700mb files. When i am adding the video files in your guide the two cd's puts me way over the 4.36 range and into the 6 gb range. then nero vision asks me if i want to compress it, so i say ok. how is this going to affect the quality?...i believe the message says it will convert into long play mode or something. should i be downloading the 700mb files for your guide? ok...i think that's it....thanks for your help.

19. ludeboy12

ludeboy12 Member

great job on the guide man.....big thanks

20. Leezer

Leezer Member

Recently i haven't been able to burn dvds to dvd+r. I was using imation dvd+r and they were all working out fine, then i switched to Logik 8x dvd+r (spindel of 50). I've been burning coasters ever since.
    I have a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S recorder. Because i was having trouble with burning to +r i thought i wasn't bookmarking them correctly. I been burning to dvd-r fine.
    I checked nero 7, there is no option for booktyping on my recorder.
    Why is there no option?
    Why was i able to burn dvd+r without any trouble before?
    Could this be a hidden feature in my drive(booktyping)?
    Or could all my problems be down to bad media?

Any response will be greatful! Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.