1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toast burn errors: underrun

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by rapps, May 17, 2005.

1. rapps

rapps Member

Hi,

I have a new powerbook G4 and I'm backing up some old dvds with my internal superdrive. Roxio popcorn works fine for ones that need to be compressed....but for some reason has trouble with the ones that need NO compression.

I've used Toast's data mode to burn dvds that needed no compression but lately they haven't worked. I've been using some new dvds (Memorex), so this could be the culprit?

Roxio works fine the the Memorex, but Toast doesn't.

This is the exact message I get:

Sense Key: illegal return
    Sense Code: 0X21, 0X02
    Buffer Underrun

Also...for some reason the option to check buffer underrun protection is greyed out on my superdrive.

I've made about 4 coasters thus far....so before anymore...I figured I'd try my luck with you guys.

Much thanks,

Jason

2. macburner

macburner Guest

Use the search feature, This question has been answered before.

You can search by using the search box at the top of the Page!

3. rapps

rapps Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the tip. I did a search...and couldn't find anything. Sorry to be a pain...but can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Jason

4. macburner

macburner Guest

When I had this problem, what helped me was to first lower my burn speed, and turn on
    bufferunder run prevention (click the llittle green thing by the BIg red button>recorder
    settings>advanced>buffer under run prevention).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2005
  5. samintx

samintx Regular member

Underrun: you also may not have enuf disk space. I kept getting that even tho I ran at 1x and underrun checked. I had 17G disk space and the program wants maybe 20G free. I'm going to install Popcorn on an external HD and see if that helps.

The Popcorn box says 10-15 HD space but it must need more.

6. macburner

macburner Guest

You may not need to install it on the external drive, just set the external drive as the scratch disk.

7. samintx

samintx Regular member

I have a wonderful setup now and sooooo fast. 120G to iBook ripping with MTR. plugging the firewire HD into my PC and burning with Roxio on the pC. Speedy! AND I can put several on the HD and burn at my leisure. I have so many to back up in my collection. About 30 minutes per disk! total time.

8. damace09

damace09 Member

I too am having a problem with Toast.

I get through MTR and DVD2OneX fine. Then, when it's time to burn, I'm getting a different message:

The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
    Sense Code = 0X11, 0X05
    L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR.

I have an iMac G4 with a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104 and have Tiger as my OS.

This was my previous error with Panther and same error now with Tiger. I have 22gigs of space availble which seem like enough.

I've beeen using the same media I've used in the past which I've backuped nearly have my collection with already using Fast DVD Copy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  9. samintx

samintx Regular member

Well, I gave up on Popcorn and Toast for DVDS. Others on other boards are having problems with Popcorn...Ridiculous that 17-20g isn't enuf for a burn. I don't have that much on my PCs and burn DVD all the time. The mac is a hog on HD space, memory.

I use FastCopyDVD, also and for most things it works fine. Using 2.0 because I could not get the computer to upgrade the program for some reason.