1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top of First post of new page BUG...

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Ripper, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok so myself, along with a few other members (namely ireland) have noticed a bug in the forums for a while now and I can't remember a thread being made about this, and presumably the admins don't read the bitch thread, nor the old timers thread, so here goes...

On certain threads (can't confirm it for all threads - it seems to be the ones with a lot of pages) the first reply of a new page doesn't show up. For example, I got a reply notification of a new post made in the old timers thread, so I clicked the following link to view it.
    Now, what I am presented with is page 102 of that thread, where my reply is clearly the last on the page. So, what I decided to try was this..
    Change the 102 to 103 and get rid of the # bit.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/103/321926

Needless to say, I get taken to page 103 of the thread, but it is not visible in the thread page list at the top until another reply is made to that thread and the page becomes visible normally.

Screenshots:
    Before!
    After!

This happens a lot. If you don't quite get what I mean, then I'll be happy to elaborate.

Thanks.

Edit: Added Screens

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. ireland

ireland Active member

ripper i agree

i been saying that for a long time,as a person posts and it time to go to the next new page that persions post will not show up ..

also the persons name will show that he was the last person to post,
    his post will not be displayed until another persion posts..

this also happens in other threads

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'll drop dRD a PM about this. Just to get his attention more swiftly :)

4. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

I take it that the problem still exist? Now that we're tackling other problems at the forums as well, I'll try and get this one resolved, too. Shouldn't really be a problem locating the bug, and fixing it. Dunno why it hasn't been taken care of.

I'm off to Germany for a couple of days, and our coders are on vacation, but if the problem hasn't been solved by next week, I'll try and see if I can find a fix for it.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I honestly can't remember if I ever got round to PM'ing dRD about the problem. Anyway, yes, as far as I'm aware the problem exists.

Tbh, it's only a minor annoyance, but it's a bug nevertheless, so when you get the time :)

Thanks in advance for fixing it and enjoy your trip to Germany :)

6. Ketola

Found what is causing the problem (a mismatch in a post counter). What I don't know is what's causing the mismatch. Something for dRD to look at when he returns. =)

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well, I'm pretty sure dRD is back and it's not fixed. Any news guys?

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i don't come across that particular problem too often but i think it still exists; there is however still a similar problem happening, where you'll get an email reply about a thread and when you click on it you find that the post in question is actually the first post on the next page, but the only way to access the post is to then go to the next page..

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

That's a problem which stems from the problem I've brought up creaky (at least I think it is). You can access it by changing the page number like i illustrated in the first post ^^

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  10. creaky

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  11. creaky

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Aye, it's still happening.

13. Ketola

With changes done to the main message table and post count update ran today the problem should now be gone for good.

For those interested in technical aspects, keep reading. Others, please move along. =)

The problem with the the last page of a given thread showing up empty was caused by a combination of two things; the way the message count is maintained and the way the number of messages is evaluated when a thread is viewed.

Earlier all messages, whether deleted or not, were stored in a single table. This table had a (quite self explanatory) msg_deleted flag. Unfortunately it wasn't indexed properly, which caused any query with a "... where msg_deleted = 0 ..." clause to be painfully slow. To avoid generating new indexes (which on a huge table is rather time consuming) a post count was added to accompany all threads. This was mostly a good solution, but unfortunately earlier versions of MySQL didn't support transactions too well, which caused the actual post count and the recorded post count to eventually mis-align on some threads (especially ones with thousands of messages, where queries to the table were likely to be slower).

Since the deleted messages were newer actually used anyway, we decided to just move them to a separate table. That allowed us to drop the msg_deleted condition from all the queries, which alone makes browsing threads with thousands of messages (for instance the PC building thread) rather snappy. It also made all the queries for counting the messages in threads a lot lighter, so we were able to fix the post count on all the threads.

Long story short; all the post counts on all the threads should now work, and the number of posts in a single thread should have no effect on how slow (or fast) the thread loads.

Happy times!

14. creaky

nice work, so it sounds like we don't need to periodically close off long running threads (such as the above mentioned PC Building thread) just because they're slow to load, only if it's deemed that a long running thread has become unwieldy to follow. Cheers!

edit- i'd made a booboo on the quoting :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Nice work Ketola.

But I see the quote bug is still playing up ^^ Hehe :)

Keep it up all involved!

Edit: I like the new graphics that are being worked in!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  16. Ketola

Is there still a quote bug somewhere? Or just the occasional user induced bugs? =)

17. creaky

if Ripper meant my previous post, that was a creaky bug, i fixed it since.. :)

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

hello boo boo!!

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Hehe, yep, was just playing with creaky :)

And hello D, you stranger, you! How's things with you both?

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

alright. you?